Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Fan Shroud Pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubhead74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Custom Fan Shroud Pictures Reply with quote

This weekend I was able to complete my fan shroud project.Some might have some harsh oppinion of my craftsmanship and what not but thats cool I am proud of creating my idea.Instead of possibly boring someone with the back story and details I figure I would just show these pictures of what I built.
Hope you enjoy
Mike
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get past the extreme lack of punctuation and grammar, in order to entertain the pictures.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell? You stole my ideas! Shocked
Well,I guess it is back to the drawing board then........gotta think of something else... Crying or Very sad
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would avoid anything intrusive on the fan shroud.
I can't tell for sure, but did you run oil cooler lines through the shroud to?
It's your project, so I can't knock it.... But nothing beats a proper OEM cooling system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the shroud, Weber Progressive and 009... good luck with that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my thing, but hey, different strokes for different strokes. You gonna have the alternator polished or anodized black or something? If you really wanted to get wild you could have it anodized in spiral stripes of black and pink Smile (not sure if thats even possible).
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a dog house shroud would clean it up drastically, not to mention cool the oil better.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubhead74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil lines are routed from the block to a oil filter mounted inside the left fender then to the cooler.I also have a fan mounting to blow air on the cooler.
So far I havnt had any issues running a .009 with the progessive carb.Although I did spend alot of time with adjustments to make the two work as good as they can.Until I can make upgrades to the ignition system what have will just have to work.
Your right nothing can match oem oil cooling.it worked just fine for me on the previous 8 type 1s I have owned but with this one I wanted to think outside the box while having fun with making a idea work.
I am sorry for the poor grammer and hopefully you can look past it to continue to enjoy this Volkswagen passion we all share here at this web site.
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you explain to us what you did and what your goals were for this project? i'm not sure i understand what you've done here. the grainy camera-phone pics don't really tell the story.

looks like a fan shroud that has a hole cut for a temp gauge, and then an oil cooler bolted on top. is there more to it? fyi the gauge looks like it'll cause a significant disruption to the airflow on that side of the shroud. please post some before and after temperature measurements of that cylinder head... i suspect it will run hotter now.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a oil pressure gauge to me!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dejan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This to me looks cooler than the air conditioning
dubhead74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure,i'll try to explain the what and whys with this project.
When I purchased this "basket case" of a car the motor was not running and was missing some the major components needed,one being the factory oil cooler.
Since the car was pretty much a blank canvas I thought I would have some fun with trying out some aftermarkets products needed that was needed to get the car driving.
For the oil cooler I went with this Empi setup because of the size of the cooler.I didnt want to mount the cooler under the car near the transmisson for fear of road debris damaging it and mounting it behind the fan shroud was to tight of an area to mount to.So on a crazy idea I thought why not on top of the fan shroud.Which I knew was going to be alot of work since I havnt seen it done before.It did take a lot of work and trail an error to get to this point.What is in the pictures is know here at house as version 3.0 if that can give an idea of how many different ways I tried to mount the cooler on top of the fan shroud.
Version 2.0 of this mount did work fine while I drove it I just didnt like the mounting brackets so I changed it up.
I wanted to install a oil pressure gauge we all know the possible issues with mounting a pressure gauge in the drivers location.So I wanted to mount it in the engine bay.Sure I could have mounted any where else then what I did but I wanted to do something outside the box mounting it where I did.I did think over the possiblities of restricting the air flow from the fan.To hopefully help with this I did some adjustments to the inside plates of the shroud to allow the air have more room to flow.I cant share with you right now how it has affected the cylinder tempatures but that is an issue I am aware of.
For those who share a difference of oppinion on what I made thats ok.I am not out there trying "reinvent the wheel" or make something better than what you got.I simply wanted to show my kids a lesson in life that if you have an idea you believe in to never NOT trying everything you can to make it happen.
When its all said done if any of the "out of the box" ideas have for this car dont work then oh well atleast I tired and fun while doing it.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Im not gonna bash this engine or the oil cooler option, but that crimp terminal under a rivet might need attention some day.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m565/dubhead74/Fan%20shroud/IMG0263A.jpg
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the extra cooling fan mounted in the top right of your engine compartment? If so, what is it from and how do you have it ducted to the oil cooler?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky324 wrote:
Looks like a oil pressure gauge to me!!

And it doesn't look liquid filled so I give it one day of use before it fails from excess vibration~
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73 KAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=

It could go in this forum. Smile

Mark
#3 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=775620Kafer-Cup vintage road racer
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say when I saw it I liked it. It is your art form, the gauge in the fan housing is out of the box thinking but -------------will it work??? The oil cooler is another issue. if you like the way the oil cooler looks leave it but you may have a fried engine if you are going to use a rear deck lid. The hot air is going to come out the back of the cooler into the intake of the fan housing creating a cycle of the engine gettting hotter and hotter. On the other hand the entire freaking ugly engine may run, ha.

I say ugly in a good way. When I go to car show here in NY 98% of the cars are amazing. The other 2 % are RAT RODS. It is easy to make a stock car look good, all you need is a alot of money and time.
As for a Rat Rod you need be creative to use what you got to express your self.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubhead74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that is the cooling fan to the right.I modified the fresh air fan from the front.For ducting I use parts off a leaf blower.
I noticed that crimp terminal myself I plan on checking it as well many other things after I take it on a test drive.
mike karp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's not my bag, and may not be the best engineering, thanks for sharing your project. I am often afraid to put some of my ideas out on this forum even though I frequently read the topics to learn what I can from the encouraging and helpful posts that follow.

I will say that even though the engineering and art isn't to my taste, its clean and flows well looking at it. Keep working with it and give us some temperatures when you have the chance. I am curious how much of an impact the gauge disruption of airflow will affect head temps, and how well the oil cooler works. Not all engineering is complete in the 3rd or even the tenth version. And not all of us have r&d departments at our disposal. Shocked

enjoy your project!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: