Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no start issue in 79 bus, starter whirrs with 12v - dead?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: no start issue in 79 bus, starter whirrs with 12v - dead? Reply with quote

on a long drive yesterday when I went to start up the bus again it wouldn't even try.

I whacked the solenoid, installed a hot start relay I had around, but in the end I had to pop start it.

The grounds are clean and well tightened (thanks in part to a visit from Colin last year), the ignition switch is sending a signal to the solenoid, but the starter does nothing.

In the end I bypassed the starter and just bridged the two large posts on the coil to see what would happen - and while the starter makes a noise, im fairly certain this means it's dead.

The starter doesn't make any different of a sound when you do this bridging of the solenoid than it does under normal circumstances right? My only confusion was Muir talking about bridging this to confirm the starter whirrs - and well - it's whirring, but in a 'that aint right' way.

Here is a video of what the starter is doing currently. I have a used one that was working when I pulled it - so im just debating on going through the R&R process on another potential POS or going and dropping coin on a properly rebuilt non-kragen style junker.

Link
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude, that doesn't sound good Sad

Good luck
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter is turning but the bendix isn't kicking out. Could be a dirty or bad solenoid. Either way, that starter is coming out.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Chris_914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That test only confirms that the starter motor is working. You have now narrowed down the problem to the solenoid.

The solenoid is just an electro-magnet that pulls in a metal puck that is connected to the drive gear in a similar action to the throw-out bearing in the clutch. When the puck reaches it full travel it pushes a disk against the two lugs you jumped in the video. In one motion it engages the starter gear to the flywheel gear and then energizes the starter motor.

One of three things has probably happened. 1) the puck is stuck, 2) the electro-magnet windings are open, 3) the metal disk that shorts lugs is pitted to the point of no contact.

1 is and easy fix (free the puck), 2 you're out of luck (test for continuity), 3 in GM solenoids you could flip the disk, not sure if this is possible with the Bosch units. (pull the end cap, sometimes electro-magnet wires have to be desoldered to accomplish this)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test the complete starter solenoid package, you need to jump between the big 12+ Volt lug and the small spade where the red/black wire from the starter switch attaches.

Irregardless of what is wrong with the solenoid, your starter motor sounds like the bearings are dry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: