Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things that makes a a buggy drive in the sand so well, is the fact that they are typically so light they float in the sand. I can really tell the performance difference between my Baja and my Manx in the sand.
It looks like you have a good build going, don't let me slow you down. Very Happy
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Holy time lapse Batman.

Well since 2013 I have moved to a new state, got married, moved again, changed jobs, bought a house and paid off our debts (minus the mortgage). So yea those are my excuses for not really making much progress but really I just haven't been excited by the project until recently. I have struggled and struggled with the steering setup and think I am finally pointed in the right direction but I will post more pics of that later. What you see below was temporary to just drive it around the backyard.

To provide an update and some pictures see below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the chassis and I just needed to take a ride and have some fun so I put it all together the best I could and drove it around the back yard.

Link

Then after the fun was over I have been working on other fiberglass repairs. I joke with my co-workers saying "I'm glad I am not building a boat!"

Finishing glassing on the dash (which I had to substantially cut to fit my body)

I also added material to the body flange since it was so thin and cracked in spots. Now time to sand a bit and flip it back over for fitting on the body again.

Would love any feedback and always looking for advise on how to properly work on this thing!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Man, looking good - I dig the Centerlines and 914 seats! Keep up the good work Very Happy
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Thank you!

Some more updates on my steering adventure.

My drawing and part descriptions

Initial layout and fitting of parts. The steering shaft is not in its final position yet. Need to check alignment with dash and hood before final welding.

Here is the secondary shaft bearing installed at the bottom of the column tube. I still need to consider a way to affix the bearing in the tube similar to how it is preloaded on the top of the tube and steering wheel.

Here is the 2x1" tubing tacked in place with exhaust clamps tacked in place too. Feels pretty good and solid and allowed me to put the steering wheel in a spot that is comfortable for me without worrying about the rag joint angle and alignment.
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Well, long story short I took the buggy to someone to help finish and they never did anything with it for about a year. So I just got it back in my garage and picked up where I left off.

Still working to restore the hood flanges so I have some material to bolt the hood to the body.

On another note - I could use some help.

Do you have to run a fuel return line for a electric fuel pump setup with carbs? My setup would be

Fuel tank > into carter fuel pump > into Mallory fuel pressure regulator > into carbs.

Will that work okay? I ask because Mallory suggests the carb setup below which shows a return line.

If I do plumb a return line should it come to the top of the tank or bottom? Also if only the fuel cap is vented is that enough?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

A return line gives you much more stable fuel pressure. I tried it both ways and really only had success using a return line. I like returning fuel into the top of the tank so the return fuel has no restrictions.

brad
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
A return line gives you much more stable fuel pressure. I tried it both ways and really only had success using a return line. I like returning fuel into the top of the tank so the return fuel has no restrictions.

brad

Many thanks for the reply Brad.

So can you help again? How would you setup the return line? See pictures below with questions.

Gas Tank image with questions

Gas tank image only

Filler neck close up

Small tube close up (Not sure what to do with it)
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

You could put a loop of rubber hose on that small fitting for a vent. The filler vent would be a good place to put the return line from the regulator.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

That little fitting hooks into the evap control system on a later smog Beetle.

My Carter pump with a pressure regulator seems fine without a return line.
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That little fitting hooks into the evap control system on a later smog Beetle.

My Carter pump with a pressure regulator seems fine without a return line.

10-4 OPRN. Do you use a vented gas cap or have a separate tank vent?

Thanks again Brad. I was thinking the same thing and just plugging the evap port and relying on the vented gas cap only.

Also - I laid up another layer of chopped mat on each hood flange. I think I am getting close with the hood repairs. One more layout on the outer edges and then I will check fitment and try to mount the windshield!

Passenger side inside edge

Driver side inside edge
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

The problem with a vented gas cap in the front is gas can get sucked out of it at high speeds. When I had a front mounted tank in my buggy it would spray me with fuel at highway speeds. You don't need much or a vent just find some hose that fits that evap fitting and make a 6" loop in it to keep fuel from sloshing out of it and mount it up higher than the vent fitting.

brad
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Vented cap, flush mounted. Came on the Buggy when I bought it, had no idea where they got it from until I was walking along a dock at the lake looking at the boats and there it was!

herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

Back down to the garage!
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

After a lot of fitting, grinding, fitting, grinding, fitting, swearing and crawling around I have the hood bolted to the body and the windshield bolted to the hood. I know this may not seem like a huge accomplishment to most but I really struggled with this step. Is it perfect, no. But its secure and I am ready to move on to fitting the gauges and wiper motor assembly.

Hood on, no windshield.

Windshield on!
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Looking good!! Very Happy
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Sweet! I goof on how much that looks like my Spatz Buggy! LOL!

Congrats! Can't wait to see it finished! (I'm no longer building my Spatz... Sad )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

This weekend I hope to work on the battery tray, wiper motor and gauge layout on the dash.

I also want to try and work on the headlight support brackets.

I feel like I am over the hump but still a long way to go!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Trust me when I say that anyone who has built a buggy appreciates how much work you've done. Applause Applause Applause . It might not look like much yet, but we all know what it takes to get it to where it is. Looks great, love Centerlines on buggies although those rears look a little skinny😁

brad
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Brad - Thanks! And yes I totally agree the centerlines are too skinny! I bought a set of smitty's smoothies about a year ago. I will be honest. I wouldn't recommend him or his wheels. Can you believe this? Am I missing something anyone?

The rims dont sit flush against my brake drums or rotors.....!!!! The smoothie cap clips hit the brake drum/rotor first. This leaves about a 1/8" gap between the rim and the brake rotor. This is crazy!!! What if I would have just mounted them up? Who knows what could have happened.

The best I can assume is that he forgot to countersink the rivets or something. I have sent Jim a message but no response yet.

Rim bolted in place to show you what it all looks like

Close up looking down

Another close up showing the gap

backside of the rim
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbsflat4 - Spatz Dune Buggy Build Reply with quote

Anyways, here are some pictures of other odds and ends I worked on.

headlight support

Rear tray support (pass side)

Repairing my mistake on cutting out the entire battery tray! Glassing it back in.

I cut out a section of the tray over the IRS swingarm and flipped it so the swingarm wont hit the battery tray if fully compressed. I choose this since I am using a smaller AGM battery and dont need the entire battery well anyways.

Finally, I cut out a section of the wiper arm in order to fit my speedo (but I also plan to relocate the fuel guage input module). The picture doesn't really show the whole story but I will have enough room to move the speedo in and out now. I think this will be okay since I don't plan to use the wipers much but the assembly still feels really stout.

Front side for reference

Just barely enough room behind the light switch!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: