Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 choptop fastback BUG
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. I am going to be removing all the drip edges to make it smother looking. As for the hinges they will be behind the body line that I will be making. I am extending the fender 3in and as it come up and back I am going to run a new body line back to the rear wing. It will be coming out about 6 to 8in from the body.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bottom hinge will also be hidden from view from the lower/side part of the fender I will be making.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would ask, If there are any WRX STI BUG out there looking at this. Just thought I would ask, because how many of them are AWD? I am talking not just bolting to a super beetle tans. and cutting the fire wall, but making it into a AWD BUG? Becuse that is what I am planning for this Custom Ride.
Thats right Vizion this, AWD 300hp turbo Chop top fastback VW BUG!!! Sounds good and is in the making. That’s right; this Bug I have been building is going to have a new heart transplant. In fact, it will be a lot more than just the heart. I am in the process of getting a WXR STI and removing the body rolling its chassis under my bug. Making a front mounted motor with AWD 300hp Turbo in a VW Bug. Think of this as a bicycle with a V8 between your legs. It’s going to be sweet and fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool as long as it has VW badges on it not Subaru! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Cool as long as it has VW badges on it not Subaru! Twisted Evil
Thinking of making my own badges, but not sure what to call her. VWRX is taken by another vw sti rear mounter motor. I might even go badgeless. The hood is getting changed for air flow, and the rear will not even look like it did before. I will look more like a 350 Z, or a older porshe 911. More rounded out not sloped to a point.
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought the Bug home from the shop at school yesterday. Now I will be able to work on it more then just the 4 day for 2-3 hours at a time. NICE!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats just about exzactly what I want my bug to look like with big fat rear tires(19x33x15) but it aint going to happen at this stage of my life.
hope it all works out how you want it. for me I would want to do it like yours then pop a fiberglass mold off & make bodies from it.I dont like rust and heavy weight from all the extra welding&peicing togeather.keep up the great work&keep us posted.that would be sweet with a 2332 or biger in it.
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
thats just about exzactly what I want my bug to look like with big fat rear tires(19x33x15) but it aint going to happen at this stage of my life.
hope it all works out how you want it. for me I would want to do it like yours then pop a fiberglass mold off & make bodies from it.I dont like rust and heavy weight from all the extra welding&peicing togeather.keep up the great work&keep us posted.that would be sweet with a 2332 or biger in it.
LOL I thought about pulling molds, but then I thought of all that work and having to keep the molds sitting around, just was not worth it. But I will build you a replica in metal, alum, or even take a photo to hang on your wall when its done so you can build one like it. lol But this will have a WRX STI AWD front mounted motor in it. Depending on what ever year I find for a good deal that is salvaged. Looking at a 04 that has 300hp stock with a turbo.
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been busy getting my finals passed and getting finished with school. Glade to say "I AM FREE"!! Got my AS degree in Auto Collision Repair, emphasis in Custom Street Rod. So I slapped the fenders on and brought her home. Very Happy Now I get more time to work on her! 1st do some spring cleaning, o I can fit all the stuff that is in the car on my racks.

subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, couldn't help it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Yea it is looking that way now, but it will look a lot better after getting the STI under her. Then I can start on making the custom fenders and wide body. Will not look like Gonzo for long. lol
subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VizionCustoms wrote:
Nice Yea it is looking that way now, but it will look a lot better after getting the STI under her. Then I can start on making the custom fenders and wide body. Will not look like Gonzo for long. lol

No doubt man, the chop looks GREAT!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks now if I was not working about 60 hours a week at my reg. job I could get alot more thinks done to finish her.
Bugman6572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new updates to the car? I hope you get back on it.
VizionCustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugman6572 wrote:
Any new updates to the car? I hope you get back on it.
I have been wanting to but work has picked up and they have me working a ton of hours, training the new manager. Last 2 weeks 112 hours. Sucks by the weekend I just want to chillll-lax. But one good thing is the $$ in OT.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about some more pics?
calisparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Reply with quote

I am brand-spankin' new at the fabrication (on vehicles) thing. Take time and attention to detail is my way of thinking....measure 3 times, cut once.

This is just amazing. I'm chopping my 70 now. I've thought about this concept now found this....Any updates on the project?
I've cut the front 6" and all stopped with ideas as I made my first front cuts. The rear section, on mine is still intact with just one cut out of the center post.

So far....when all is done I'll have the 'select-a-drop' with the 2 1/2 spindles as well. going with the solid 'centerlines'. (high school memories...), door poppers, got the 10in. front extension, etc.........(the ideas change every time I work on her!)

Love to see more and more recent pics...

[/quote] A man doesn't make a man. A man's work is what makes a man
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Reply with quote

Any updates? any photos??
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Reply with quote

jmmj wrote:

Dude hasn't been around here in 4-1/2 years, and no updates for three years of trippin around these threads after his last post, above...that project is probably dead as a doornail...too far off the deep end.

Although I did do a search for his username and found him active on FB. Seems he's active with fabbing various parts and artwork using metals and wood...but I guess he didn't have the Vizion to finish his Custom Razz
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
jmmj wrote:

Dude hasn't been around here in 4-1/2 years, and no updates for three years of trippin around these threads after his last post, above...that project is probably dead as a doornail...too far off the deep end.

Although I did do a search for his username and found him active on FB. Seems he's active with fabbing various parts and artwork using metals and wood...but I guess he didn't have the Vizion to finish his Custom Razz

hehehe...

Well after all this time i wasn't holding my breath. Just thought i'd throw it out there because it was looking pretty interesting.

Cheers Busstom.

_mike_
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 choptop fastback BUG Reply with quote

Cutting and welding’s the fun part. After that it can be pure drudgery. Took me 7 years on a similar type dream. Never again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: