Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introduction and build thread 1969 notch
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Introduction and build thread 1969 notch Reply with quote

Ok,, so I have been lurking on this site for the better part of 6 years now. I have been into Vw since I was 15 years old when I purchased a 65 bug. I grew up in OC California and had many vw threw my teen years you name it I had one, from a 63 porsche rasberry square back to a 62 soda crew crew cab. 21 and 23 window deluxe busses ( still kicking my self for selling those) anyway fast fwd 30 years several houses and several marrages and I'm in Colorado now with a 69 notch project. Can't even believe my luck when I found out the invasion was going to be in my back yard. Now I need to get of my but and get this 69 back on the road. Will be asking questions to the EFI guys this notch is all stock and non hacked and I want to keep it that way. I have been reading on this site and almost have the car running but my fuel pump is not producing the 28 to ma.ke the car run corectly. It starts and runs but not well. It is only at this stage due to all the advice I have been reading on this site. I will post picks as soon as I figure that part out I know u guys like picks so I will do my best to get some up soon. Thanks in advance for the vast amount of information I have found on this site and looking fwd to more of it as I get this 69 BACK ON THE ROAD. Thanks for listening, Leo
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'69 has the simple A-B fuel injection! If it won't pump 30lbs/1 qt per minute that's not good. Blow out Both steel fuel lines with air. Need 14 volts at 3000 rpm.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike thanks for ur post. I have done it all I think my pump is just worn out I have been contemplating the new EFI pump from isp have u heard anything good about them at $180.00 I was hoping to find some revi before spending the cash.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '85 Ranger pump is only $80.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Hey Mike thanks for ur post. I have done it all I think my pump is just worn out I have been contemplating the new EFI pump from isp have u heard anything good about them at $180.00 I was hoping to find some revi before spending the cash.

I can't say anything about the ISP pump, but quite a few of us are using the 85 Ford ranger pump in place of the Bosch pump. The part number for them is E2000. These can be found at all of the big parts places like Autozone, Oreilly's etc. Shop around to get the best price though. I paid 93 ucks out the door for mine. Keep in mind these are 1 inlet and 1 outlet style pumps, and you'll have to elinimate the "Y" and return from the pump hose (not that big a deal). Do a search for the ranger pump, and you can see how it gets plumbed, how to wire it in and that sort of stuff. Wink I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob u are the man, after krunchy and now the type 34 you and sue are heroes in my book. I have read all about the ranger pumps and not to say I want to be a purest but I was hoping the new isp pump would be a good alternative just didn't want to spend that money if it was junk. If I don't hear any revise soon I will go with the ranger pump. After all the Invasion is around the corner. Thanks Leo
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Bob u are the man, after krunchy and now the type 34 you and sue are heroes in my book. I have read all about the ranger pumps and not to say I want to be a purest but I was hoping the new isp pump would be a good alternative just didn't want to spend that money if it was junk. If I don't hear any revise soon I will go with the ranger pump. After all the Invasion is around the corner. Thanks Leo

You can also contact Jim Adney ([email protected]), and have him rebuild your original pump for 75 to 125. The way I looked at it, for that price, a new ranger pump with a 90 day warranty was a better deal, at least to me. Wink Like I said there's quite a few of us running that pump, and IF it ever quits, you can get a replacement almost anywhere. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a used pump from the wrecker for $20 bucks... the Ranger pump that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point bob I'm going to check my flap when I get of work. How do u mount the ranger pump?
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did searching and found that u guys ar mounting them in the center of the beam with the stock brackets?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine went right to the stock location
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
I did searching and found that u guys ar mounting them in the center of the beam with the stock brackets?

Yes to both. The reason for doing so, is to allow long lazy bends in the hoses. You don't want any kinks in the hose, especially in the feed from the tank hose. Plus you need to plumb a filter in before the pump, so that takes up some space too. These pumps are longer, compared to the stock pump, so that's another reason for moving it over to the center. I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwfye and Bob thanks for the info I checked my flaps yesterday and found the ranger pump for $93.00 dollars and they are going to order for me. The picture showes it as inlet on one end and outlet on the othere is this the pump? I gave him the E200 P/N. Cant wait to try this pump to see if I can make it run again. When I had the old pump in with the low presure it ran but when I tried to give it throtle it took a while for it to build up the rpm's. Is there somthing else I should check?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you blow out both steel fuel lines?

Did you pull out the screen and flush out the fuel tank?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Mike, Yes all of this has been done. I actually had to find a second tank. The original tank I had a radiator shop seal and they cloged up the screen at the bottom, so my new tank is free and clear but the neck that goes to the fuel door is difrent its an oval hole where the old tank hole is round and I need to find a filler neck hose with oval on one end and round on othere to make it work plus the vent hose is in the second indention in the new tank but I think all I will need is a longer vent hose for that. Now that you guys have talked me into the ranger pump and I only need one outlet from the bottom of the tank I might try to shove somthing in the original tank to free up the outlet hole and go back to the old tank. What you think?
Hope this makes sence.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when I mount the ranger pump with the stock brackets I have 2 oval plates one slightly curved bracket and the hoop that goes around the pump, along with the rubber bumpers with the threds on both ends. I have the old pump mounted but not sure I have everything stacked corectly becous its a pain in the (%$&^$) to mount, is there a diagram that showes how this all stack togethere? I have the brown Bently book but it dose not show how all this stacks togethere I'm hoping some one on hear can expalin it.
Thanks Leo
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
so when I mount the ranger pump with the stock brackets I have 2 oval plates one slightly curved bracket and the hoop that goes around the pump, along with the rubber bumpers with the threds on both ends. I have the old pump mounted but not sure I have everything stacked corectly becous its a pain in the (%$&^$) to mount, is there a diagram that showes how this all stack togethere? I have the brown Bently book but it dose not show how all this stacks togethere I'm hoping some one on hear can expalin it.
Thanks Leo

First off, Russ always recommended against having an FI tank sealed. It clogs not only the screen, but also the internal passages that allow the cup inside to stay full of fuel. It's also possible that your "oval" end is out of round.

That said and out of the way, you won't need the oval tin piece. If you want, you can use it, but it's actually redundent when moving the pump to the center. Use the rubber band with the new pump (it comes with it, and some are actually on it, while others are in the box with it, don't use the foam one though), then put the old "hoop" around it, then the rubber mounts.I bolt them on to the pump mounting bracket loosely, then use a plate to set them, before tightening them up. On the other end of the rubber mounts goes 1 curved plate, sandwiching the lip of the beam, then the other flat plate followed by the wavy flat washers and nuts, and you're done. Look in the other threads, as there's a direction of pump flow, and the wiring set up on them (at least for the Airtex E2000 pump). I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: fuell pump. Reply with quote

Ok so I opted OUT of the ranger pump, My girl talked me out of it becous i keep telling her I want to keep the car stock so my old pump is with Mr Adney getting a re-build. Mr Adney will bring it to the invasion so we can install and hopfully get the motter to run. Cool I'm looking fwd to meeting all of you there. I wont be hard to spot dark blue avalanch with a L87 69 notch in tow.
Thanks
Leo

I think I'm ready but if there is anything else you guys can sugest I do to the car to get it ready that would be great.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: 69 Notchback after the invasion Reply with quote

Ok so I finaley got pictures loaded but not sure how to post them to this thred so if any one can help with that I would appreciat it you can also go to my photos and look there. pleas tell me what you think about the car. After Jim Adney spen hours then days at the invasion working on the car going threw it with a fine tooth come On day 2 he was ready to fire it up and what do you know she started and ran well I might add. ( Cant thank you enugh Jim for your Time and knoladge.) Not only did Jim take the time to work on my car but tought me and my boy Ryan the in's and outs of the fuell injection. So excited to get started on this project. Although its not a 1500 club canidit I plan on keeping it all stock. I think I hav the best of both woulds with this Notch, Early body style with all the modern mechanicks.
Looking forward to comments dont worrie I have thick skin. Very Happy
Thaks Leo
COFBack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickengeorge's wife wrote:
bing chow ching fong fang T.J. fang ching dow fong
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: