Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas $5.00/gal. - What kind of mileage motor should one build
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Gas $5.00/gal. - What kind of mileage motor should one build Reply with quote

has any one done a test of a stock vw muffler to see how much it hurts power and milage with stock exhaust tips and if straight pipe tips help power out put . i saw where a ralley bug over seas made 125 hp with gutted stock muffler . spencerfvee............. . i know every ones seen gas going up this week . i read on yahoo news today that gas is over $5.00 gal in some parts of Cal. here in ohio gas is now $3.70 gal. i dont know about every one else but its made me rethink . about building a MPG motor . i am sure others might be thinking about doing the same thing i allso am sure that your going to see more fourms on thesamba on building a MPG motor .i am sure theres guys with lots of money that dont care what kind of MPG there VW gets lol. i would like to know what what year vw would be best to put a MPG motor in . what would be the best VW transmission to use with a MPG motor .and best tire size to use with a MPG . and what would be the best MPG motor to build maybe a 1200cc motor 1300cc motor 1500cc motor or1600cc motor or a bigger cc motor. my self i am thinking about building a 1300cc motor with a 34 pict carb single port heads a 1968 auto stick dizy with 009 bosch dizy parts . a 1 3/8 header. CB cheater cam . spencerfvee

Last edited by spencerfvee on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I got 40mpg @ 70mph out of my FK89 2276cc.

When I get around to building my street car I have no doubt I can build something that will net me 50-60 miles to the gallon. Just need to water that money tree and make it grow.....

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my money trees allways died. before they could make any money . spencerfvee
Eaallred wrote:
Last year I got 40mpg @ 70mph out of my FK89 2276cc.

When I get around to building my street car I have no doubt I can build something that will net me 50-60 miles to the gallon. Just need to water that money tree and make it grow.....
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha..........ha............ha....

you dont know how lucky you are!!!

in the uk petrol is $2.05 a LITRE!!!!
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDI swap Very Happy
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5.00 a gallon.................. Good lord, back when I got my first VW, I could fill the whole tank for $5.00

Eric will spend more in parts building his high tech radical engine then he will save in fuel cost. Your not saving anything building an expensive engine just to save on gas. I'd rather have a $2500 engine that got 35 MPG then spend $7500 for an engine that got 50 MPG. You have to build a cheap engine so you can spend the rest on gas.

I would build a simple 69 X 88 = 1679 with dual kadrons/ICT's, stock valve heads with a fluff & buff, Engle VZ-14 cam, SVDA, and 8.5 compression. I'd run a stock geared 67-68 swingaxle or 69-72 IRS transaxle. Early Bugs are lighter then later Bugs so I'd stay with a '67 or earlier. I'd run 165's up front and 195/65's in back. I absolutely would not build that stupid Hot VW mileage engine. They spent more in exotic parts then they'll save in fuel cost.

Your driving habits are far more critical to MPG then the engine combination. So is properly inflated tires. Stay under 65 MPH. The faster you drive the more gas it takes to overcome wind resistance. To get the best dollar savings you need to find a way to drive less.

Last edited by vwracerdave on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right i for got the UK got there oil cut off by Iran. when one thinks they have high gas cost . theres allways some one that has higher gas cost .whats the out look. is gas in the UK going to go any higher than 2.05 a litre this summer ? and are the UK guys thinking of building motors that get better MPG. or are uk guys just dealing with the high cost of gas ? spencerfvee
andy198712 wrote:

Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Eric will spend more in parts building his high tech radical engine then he will save in fuel cost.

You might be right, especially considering it wouldn't be a daily driver.

Laughing

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a biger motor dosent have to work as hard as a small underpowered moter and will make more mpg than the small motor.(in real driving situations, properly done&tuned)but it all depends on just what you want & exspect.
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a scooter, ask Eaallred how much his engine cost. It'll take you decades to recoup the costs for building an engine just from saving a couple mpg.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and over here we regularly drive 12 hours to get to our VW show (750 miles each way). Just because gas is cheaper doesn't mean driving is.

andy198712 wrote:

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
your right i for got the UK got there oil cut off by Iran. when one thinks they have high gas cost . theres allways some one that has higher gas cost .whats the out look. is gas in the UK going to go any higher than 2.05 a litre this summer ? and are the UK guys thinking of building motors that get better MPG. or are uk guys just dealing with the high cost of gas ? spencerfvee
andy198712 wrote:

Sounds like it time to kick their ass and take their gas! Laughing Then go buy a turbo and slap it on a 2332 and drive with a lead foot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeivoPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this article could help you

http://books.google.com.pe/books?id=f9kDAAAAMBAJ&a...mp;f=false

1. Head 1300 (valves 1300)
2. Piston 77mm (1300)
3.Crankshaft 76mm
4. Camshaft (short duration and fast ramps 1800 - 3600 max torque in 2400rpm)
5. Twin weber ict-34 (24mm venturi)
6. 180mm flywheel
7. 1974 super beetle 3.88 pinion
8. Taller fourth gear from vw transporter 0.82
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bully ausually gets his way, but once in a while the little guy wins. That's an occupational hazard of being a bad guy.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think overhaul time for a mileage motor may come along before it has payed for itself.
Michael Fischer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want to try setting one up to run on 2 cylinders.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my solution for high prices at the pump. Buy a boatload of oil stock when it goes down to $30-40 barrell. If it goes down to only around $50 barrel buy a considerable amount. If it goes down lower buy some more because when it starts to go up you start making money regardless. Oil is a cyclical so you can catch the next downturn and care less when it starts to spike. Im actually looking forward to $5 gas prices at the pump...Im hoping to find a way to offset the high prices of stamps but I think thats a lost cause considering who runs the post office...

Last edited by j8bug on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Yeah, and over here we regularly drive 12 hours to get to our VW show (750 miles each way). Just because gas is cheaper doesn't mean driving is.

andy198712 wrote:

pretty sure thats down to choice though Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mi/day commutes are "Choice" too. But by your argument what are you bitching about, if you don't like the price of gas in the UK move somewhere else. Or ride your bike, right? Your choice?

Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start from the beginning, what do you have right now? Year, car, engine.

If you don't have anything, then that's okay, but what do you currently possess?

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: