Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Adding a photo to this thread that I came across in the classifieds that really illuminates how the mechanism fits together:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Wow, this is the most impossible looking job that I have ever done in 25 years of van wrenching. Hats off to the guy that figured this out.

I kept looking at it, getting my head down there and deciding that there was absolutely no way this could be done. After 3 or four times decided to give it a go and, what do you know, it actually is possible!

For me the most challenging part was getting the pedal back on the shaft - solved by greasing up the shaft and moving it in and out (of the brake pedal bushing) a few times to loosen it up enough that I could push it through the clutch pedal bushing. Surprisingly the C clip went back on first try (tape on a flathead screwdriver) - luck. Whole thing took about 3 hours. I did angle grind the opposite horn from the new pedal (a GW replacement).

My pedal and pin looked pretty bad, definitely needed to be replaced, unfortunately however it did not solve my clutch pedal problem! Master cylinder next.
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
T3Syncrohammer!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Hi, I just completed the Vanagon clutch pedal remove and replace without pulling the dash. Two improvised tools I made worked out really well!👍

In fact! I removed the circlip and re installed it first try! I was pretty amazed
How well they worked!

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Im currenlty pacing aropund the van, trying to stare-down 👁👁 this task.

Here's a useful pic.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Stop pacing and get to work! Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Im currenlty pacing aropund the van, trying to stare-down 👁👁 this task.

Here's a useful pic.

Sodo, it is really not that difficult. I did mine and then my sons Syncro. Being vertically challenged comes in handy for many occasions!

Cheers,
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Second the height thing. I struggled for the better part of a day with this (6 foot zero), until my friend came over (five foot 8 with small hands) and he did it in an hour. I would recommend removing the dash (15-20 minutes), and taking the opportunity to do whatever work back there you’ve been putting off.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

OK I'm not pacing around anymore, and the 👁👁staredown👁👁 was not effective.

Everything is greasy in there, including the clutch pivot pin that shows zero wear in Wink 199,130 miles Wink .

I'm not on the 1/2 hour plan but I could do it faster "next time".
That said, I'm having trouble getting the pedals aligned - to slide the (18mm) pedal pivot pin back in place.

To get the pedal out I had to slide the pin to the right, where it contacts the chassis sheetmetal but cocks sideways a little.
Now the pivot pin is kinda jammed against the chassis sheetmetal.
The (modified) clutch pedal inserts fine, but I can't slide the pin out of its jammed position and simultaneously enter the clutch pivot hole.
If ya know what I mean.
Can't hold the pedal aligned while futzing with un-jamming the pivot pin.

I shall win.

This helped a lot.

A few inches higher would be better.
For example Van on ramps on a sidewalk, where you can stand at (lower) street level.
That would be about 37 inches.

Wink Wink Poor-mans version of Dobryan's garage lift. Wink Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I vaguely remember having the same issue. Can't remember how I resolved it, but did manage somehow. Keep the faith!
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Since I was referred to in the beginning of this thread years ago, I thought I would check back in with my most recent experience.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...pedal+dash

So I had to pull my clutch pedal in July to adjust the pivot pin (due to a new Smallcar clutch I installed) in order to get the more or less correct feel/release point in the clutch. A Long story of labor that I will not bother you with. However, I pulled my pedal in excess of probably 20 times in July.

Once you have the clip off, you can use your fingers to push/slide the pin to the passenger side of the van until it contacts the body. Using your right hand, grab the pin with the roll pin and turn it as you pull it to the passenger side. The roll pin helps greatly in moving that big pin. Once you have it as far as it will go, the pedal should be loose.

Now you have to slightly muscle/move (in creative ways) the pedal out and up to get the pin out of the master slave. Pay careful attention to the angle (left or right turn) you make of the pedal to drop it out of the van. This is important because you have to use that same movement (left or right turn of the pedal) to get it back up there and the pin back in the master slave.

Now the fun starts.

I eyeball the approx. sitting height of the pedal pad compared to the brake pedal pad to know if I am in the correct position more or less before attempting to slide the main pin back to the drivers side that holds the pedal in its place. Grease is your friend in all of this up under there.

Once you get the correct alignment of the pin, it should slide in fairly easily and again use the roll pin to turn and push the pin to the drivers side. You know you have it all correct once the roll pin sits in its recessed area which you can not see but must do by feel.

Actually, all of this is done by feel of both hands.

Once you get the job done, do it another 20+ times so you become a master of this and can fix all your friends vans. You will get loads of beer for this or whatever else turns you on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Don't forget to install the clip on the shaft - another fun step. I actually have been driving for months without the clip installed and there has been no moment to the main big pin.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

In general you want to avoid leaving 'loose ends' and stuff in your braking systems. Wink

I used a screwdriver with a magnet on the end.
I was at Peace Vans and a guy there named Jason handed me a whole stack of wicked strong magnets.

I had some trouble for awhile then noticed my screwdriver was worn out and rounded.
I re-ground the screwdriver end to be "real square" and it pushed right on.

iceracer wrote:
You know you have it all correct once the roll pin sits in its recessed area which you can not see but must do by feel.

This is a key detail.
I tried to get my endoscope camera going to take a pic of this but it wouldn't work.

Here's a pic of the left side.

I agree it can be done faster next time but it might take more than beer to get me under there again. I spent hours at it.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Sodo. This repair is in my future.

Sodo wrote:
In general you want to avoid leaving 'loose ends' and stuff in your braking systems. Wink

I used a screwdriver with a magnet on the end.
I was at Peace Vans and a guy there named Jason handed me a whole stack of wicked strong magnets.

I had some trouble for awhile then noticed my screwdriver was worn out and rounded.
I re-ground the screwdriver end to be "real square" and it pushed right on.

iceracer wrote:
You know you have it all correct once the roll pin sits in its recessed area which you can not see but must do by feel.

This is a key detail.
I tried to get my endoscope camera going to take a pic of this but it wouldn't work.

Here's a pic of the left side.

I agree it can be done faster next time but it might take more than beer to get me under there again. I spent hours at it.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Leo, best wishes that it cooperates.

Raising the van helped a lot cuz I worked from the outside, standing on the ground. I almost wore the driveway gravel thru to the dirt.
Raising the van higher would be better.
And that's the pile of tools that ensued for this "simple" task.

If you have to re-adjust the clutch, here's a post from CessnaJon: Clutch master cylinder clevis adjustment

I turned the adjuster two turns, that was too much.
Out came the pedal and one turn was better.
Then I used the slop in the master cyl mounting holes to get it right.
Then later I found CessnaJon's post which makes sense.

strawman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Well I got the pedal out😅 Reply with quote

First off, many thanks to all the people who’ve posted regarding this subject. I looked at this project last winter when my van was in storage. Couldn’t see how I could do it from below so shelved the idea.

So another winter, vans in storage so it’s time. Decided to take dash off which was really easy. Glad I did as I found two broken heater cables.

Wow was the large pin a bear to push back. I don’t think there was a drop of grease on it. This might have been where most of my squeaking was coming from. You guys have covered so much but I thought I’d better add my two bits in case it can help the next person.

Removed clip, easy. Used large screwdriver to leverage against van body and pushed pin back 1/2”. Then I got a 7” spike with a large head and bent it at 90 degrees leaving about 3/4” between the head and the back of the 90. Putting this in against the pin allowed me to use my large screwdriver and leverage against the back of the 90. Ended up bending three more spikes to different lengths before the pin was back far enough. And I had to pry really hard. So obviously lots of grease will be used when I reinstall. There was no grease whatsoever the clevis or pin.

As you can see the hole in the pedal is worn so I’m looking for advice on how to fix it. I have a welder friend who is also a blacksmith and he’s willing to do the work for me. Do I just get him to fill the hole with weld then drill a new hole? I’ve measured the clevis holes at a hair under 5/16th. So should the pedal hole be drilled slightly larger and how critical is it that gets drilled in exactly the same place?

I’m thinking, run a 5/16th drill through the clevis to clean it up then maybe a 11/32th hole in the pedal part. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Goodness. Nighttime. A pile of tools collected but not returned. Gravel pushed up, away and into the earth. Clevis pins unpinned.

The struggle in pictures.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Well I got the pedal out😅 Reply with quote

sodo wrote:
My 1990 was greased from the factory and had no wear at all in that clevis/pin joint.
It was like new, at 199k miles, the grease lasted 30 years
I suspect the problem was..... that for some years, they were assembled DRY by VW.
You WILL be greasing it this time, thus the wear will stop where it is.
Set your calendar to re-grease it in year 2050.

You did not show a pic of the pin, was it worn?

You don't have to do anything to that clutch pedal hole, it's perfect.
Bend that rod back to straight, grease the clevis and re-assemble.
Check it again in 2050.

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Oh man this thread gave me flashbacks. Thanks again to iceracer for his original post. I remember when I started having clutch issues I went to 3 different shops and they ALL REFUSED THE JOB. All were "well known VW Shops". One guy that was the local "vanagon master" told me how insanely difficult to do the job and that you had to cut a whole in the body near the headlight in order to get to the problem. Then thesamba came to my rescue. I ordered the Gowesty refurbished pedal and took my seat off. About an hour or so later I emerged victorious.
strawman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Thanks Sodo for your reply.
You’re right every thing measures out at 5/16”. I bought a new pin and have decided to drill the hole out larger and press a brass bushing in. I’m looking forward to a nice quiet clutch pedal👍.
Thanks
Dan
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Well I got the pedal out😅 Reply with quote

My 84 showed no sign of wear on either the pedal or the pin when I had it apart around 250,000 miles. Probably greased initially and then I squirted some sticky lube in the general direction every Olympiad or so.

Sodo wrote:
...Everyone should CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal because a pedal that wears thru will leave you stranded...

Not quite stranded - you can start and drive without a clutch and shift thru all gears. It is a skill worth learning against the day when you will need it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: