Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
remraf wrote:
joetiger wrote:

All buttoned up in just under two hours. Unbelievable! And what a difference in clutch action.

Thanks to the trailblazers in this thread. And thanks to my dainty, slender hands.

Joetiger, curious you mentioned what a difference it makes....My van has a fresh transmission, clutch, clutch slave, shifter bushings basically everything has been rebuilt. I've adjusted the shift rod multiple times but the van is still vague and spongy. If I tap on my clutch pedal with one finger it will dance up and down has a lot of play. Did you have similar clutch pedal travel and did it improve shifting feel? Mine engages on floor too, I'm guessing I need to bite the bullet and just do this job.

Mine engaged at the floor and I had about an inch of play at the top. I also had a buzzing noise at idle most of the time which sounded like a loose screw vibrating on sheet metal, and squeaking noises always.

I didn't think the damage to the pedal hole was very bad, but when combined with a worn pin it seems to translate exponentially to clutch feel. The difference is very noticeable.

Driving it now, it has about 1/8th inch of play at the top, engages higher up, and gear selection is smoother. It's definitely worth doing it.

Awesome, thanks for the info sounds just like mine!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

OK so I thought my clutch pedal finally wore through today. My road is really rough right now, looks like the surface of the moon. My sliding door latch has been grieving me about it by popping open. Twice this am within a couple miles from home it popped open meaning I have to stop and shut it. The 1st time upon taking off the clutch felt unusually close to the floor, I knew it was coming someday. The 2nd time I barely got into 1st gear and set off went for 2nd and clutch pedal to the floor no shifty. Darn. OK fine. Pulled into an uphill driveway and pulled it out of 1st. Rolled back down and onto the road facing back home. Had to shut it off and restart it in 1st gear. It lurched along and fired up. Then had to speed shift to 2nd and stayed there back to the house. Here's pics of my pedal assembly. Not all the way worn through, which I could see before removing it but knew it needed it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fluid in the reservoir is down to the low mark. Honestly been a while since I looked at it. Brakes are good. I couldn't find any wetness anywhere where clutch/brake fluid might leak. I have a clutch master ordered. What does it feel like when the clutch slave goes out? S.C. 2.5 suby slave .
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
What does it feel like when the clutch slave goes out? S.C. 2.5 suby slave .

When the clutch slave goes out there's "nothing" to feel at the pedal - it just goes to the floor.
There will be fluid dripping out of the bellhousing.

You are in a perfect position to drill a new 8mm hole 13mm inward and make your SmallCar clutch soft and smooth as butter.

Thread: Smallcar bellhousing clutch options

I suppose you know about ^^this^^?
Also - cut off that un-used arm and re-assembly will be much easier.

I have since determined the "angle requirement". Measure 32mm up from the bend as in the pic.
Your (modified) plunger angle must exceeds that "line to the 32mm".

I would still use the smallcar (master cylinder) spacer to positively limit the fluid output volume.
Logically there has to be a mechanism design that eliminates the spacer, but I don't know the 'number' (yet?).
I do know that 13mm works well, but its not enough to delete the spacer.

====== Side-note regarding Smallcar's clutch =======

Make sure you know the proper clutch disc thickness if you ever mix&match clutch parts.
I (think?) I have learned that if you put a clutch disc in that's too thick, it causes the initial position of the slave to start too far "out" and the spacered amount of fluid still over-extends the slave - past the stops ( ☠️ =destruction ☠️ ). I have a 'diagram' of this theory, if anyone is interested.

I don't know this "proper" disc thickness but maybe someone will post it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I do recall this. I thought one of the main reasons was to eliminate the spacer. My clutch has always been fine as far as softness and smooth grab. Really no complaints at all. Right now all parts have been welded and filed back to original. I am leary that my good functioning clutch was also due to a certain of slop that was present when I got the van and did the suby swap. Also I had looked for leaks at bell housing and saw none.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

You can see that your clutch was unable to push its plunger "all the way".
With the full plunger action restored, you really "need" that spacer.

The mod had a goal to eliminate the spacer 'on principle', but the spacer is not really a problem that needed to be solved.

The problem is the modulation, the clutch action.
The release band is narrowed, and the clutch is more abrupt.
This is more important for 'offroad' especially in a Syncro in granny, where you would not enjoy a jerky clutch.

You have learned to drive with the abrupt clutch, but moving the hole 13mm, the release band will be ~20% wider and ~20% softer pedal,
and more like the long-forgotten OEM smoothness.

Since the smallcar pedal mod is not a "1/2hour replacement" topic, I replied to your question in more detail on page 17 of the SmallCar bellhousing thread.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Appreciate your input.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

You got me with buttery smooth.

Smile
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

very nice presentation.
I'm anxious to hear your thoughts WRT the difference in modulation.

What about cutting off that un-used arm?
If you are working from the driver footwell, that arm makes it difficult to re-insert the plunger down into the master cylinder.

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I did cut it off, will post pic later. And kudos to those who did this in short order.

So when I pulled the clutch pedal the clutch master was installed. I'm replacing the clutch master so I pulled it out . Reinstalling the pedal is way easier to work on with the master out. Still a bit of a pain though. After multiple attempts to get the pin started into the clutch pedal I took a dremel and champhered the inside edge of the pedal hole. That's a pic of it after. After that I got the pin started on the first try. So now with a clutch pedal that's getting full throw I started to bleed the system and NOW I'm getting a leak at the bottom of the bell housing. Confused
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

So is the all metal slave for 6 speeds part number 0A5 141 671F still the go to one?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

We have clutch. Haven't driven it yet but it feels good. Only wiggled it back and forth because my wife parked behind the van. Plus it was dinner time. FYI I did the gravity bleed on the clutch. The new slave cylinder got bench bled. Just compress the throwout bearing and submerge the tip of the slave cylinder in brake fluid and release slowly a few times until no bubbles come out. Keep tip vertical after that. The plastic slave I removed did not flex off as I removed it, that's to say it sat nice and flush on the boss's in a relaxed state. Maybe that's why I got 6 years out of it? Anyhow I got an all metal Sachs clutch slave and the supposedly proprietary clutch disc from small car was from Sachs also.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I would have to agree that buttery smooth is a good description Very Happy. Just drove around town and all is good. Only thing I might do is adjust the push rod a little to give more free play at top of pedal throw. Just to make sure there is no pressure on the throwout bearing, I might have 3/4" of play right now. Thanks to all the contributors to this thread.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Go it out. What a b^%th of a job. If this community wasnt here there is no way I would have done it.
Putting it back in is going to suck too.
Im trying to determine for sure if I can do the 13mm move as described, it wouild be nice in that I would not have to reweld/redrill the hole.
My plunger is quite worn also, so may get a new one of those on the way.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
After multiple attempts to get the pin started into the clutch pedal I took a dremel and champhered the inside edge of the pedal hole. That's a pic of it after. After that I got the pin started on the first try

Thanks to Alaskadan, ^^ THIS ^^ is a great tip to make re-assembly easier.
The pedal hole edge is a 'square edge'.
The chamfered pedal hole allows you to 'feel' that the hole has started to align on the end of the pin.

Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Got it done.
So many thanks to this community. Even with the support this task was daunting. All of the info here was key.
If I had it to do again I would h ave unbolted the master cylinder (MC) prior to removing the pedal. I removed the pedal with the MC in place, which made it more difficult than it needed to be becasue you have to be pushing the clutch pedal down to get in there. For the re-instal I removed the bolts on the MC and it made a huge difference. It seems like it would be almost impossible to do the job with the MC bolted in. I did cut off the unused tab/ear on the pedal.
I filed/dremeled the clutch pedal where the big pin goes in. I sanded the big pin as best I could, sprayed PB blaster on the whole area, cleaned it all up and greased it. I used a small wonderbar to gently pry the big pin in, turned the pin to line up the retaining pin with the indent on the pedal assembly, used tape and a rare earth magnet on a big flat screwdriver to instal the c-clip. The return spring was pain to get back in there.
Drove the van this weekend. My seven yr old: "dad, I cant believe you got this thing fixed!"
Thanks son, and thanks to this community.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
Im trying to determine for sure if I can do the 13mm move as described, it would be nice in that I would not have to reweld/redrill the hole.

--------------------
Note... ^this 13mm pedal mod^
is ONLY to mitigate the Vanagon master cylinder volume mismatch with the Jetta slave,
......for those with a Subaru engine bolted to a Smallcar Bellhousing.

The 13mm mod is NOT for a clutch pedal that operates an OEM Vanagon clutch slave.
Could be better to discuss the "13mm mod" and Smallcar issues in this other thread:
Smallcar bellhousing clutch options

However, moving the hole would soften a VW clutch pedal,
if that was desired, without welding.
I would not move the hole the full 13mm.
I'd recommend "just enough to get a new 8mm hole"
Such as 9mm (+9mm of MC washers/spacer).
This is a reasonable mod for some 'OEM clutch pioneer' to test. Wink
If anyone is interested - I have a pedal assembly 'out' and can measure the "percent difference" of drilling a fresh new 8mm hole, 9mm inward.
--------------------

Thanks to Honuak for play-by-play tips (that I shortened to a list form):

-unbolted the master cylinder (MC) prior to removing the pedal.
-I did cut off the unused tab/ear on the pedal.
-filed/dremeled the clutch pedal where the big pin goes in.
-sanded the big pin as best I could, sprayed PB blaster, cleaned, greased it.
-used a small wonderbar to gently pry the big pin in
-turned the pin to line up the retaining pin with the indent on the pedal
-used tape and a rare earth magnet on a big flat screwdriver to instal the c-clip.

Unbolt MC first and re-bolt last is a great addition.
(....wonder if it's already ^up there^ somewhere).

Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Honuak wrote:
Im trying to determine for sure if I can do the 13mm move as described, it would be nice in that I would not have to reweld/redrill the hole.

--------------------
Note... ^this 13mm pedal mod^
is ONLY to mitigate the Vanagon master cylinder volume mismatch with the Jetta slave,
......for those with a Subaru engine bolted to a Smallcar Bellhousing.

The 13mm mod is NOT for a clutch pedal that operates an OEM Vanagon clutch slave.
Could be better to discuss the "13mm mod" and Smallcar issues in this other thread:
Smallcar bellhousing clutch options

However, moving the hole would soften a VW clutch pedal,
if that was desired, without welding.
I would not move the hole the full 13mm.
I'd recommend "just enough to get a new 8mm hole"
Such as 9mm (+9mm of MC washers/spacer).
This is a reasonable mod for some 'OEM clutch pioneer' to test. Wink
If anyone is interested - I have a pedal assembly 'out' and can measure the "percent difference" of drilling a fresh new 8mm hole, 9mm inward.
--------------------

Thanks to Honuak for play-by-play tips (that I shortened to a list form):

-unbolted the master cylinder (MC) prior to removing the pedal.
-I did cut off the unused tab/ear on the pedal.
-filed/dremeled the clutch pedal where the big pin goes in.
-sanded the big pin as best I could, sprayed PB blaster, cleaned, greased it.
-used a small wonderbar to gently pry the big pin in
-turned the pin to line up the retaining pin with the indent on the pedal
-used tape and a rare earth magnet on a big flat screwdriver to instal the c-clip.

Unbolt MC first and re-bolt last is a great addition.
(....wonder if it's already ^up there^ somewhere).

The unbolt MC thing is in the steps discussed in this thread but some are reluctant to do so in fear of damaging the hydraulic line. Which was my concern and reason for not doing it initally. But I found that there is plenty enough play in the system to allow for the movement of the MC while doing the job.

I didnt relocate the hole. I have an old (2003) smallcar converted van that didnt have that issue. I did adjust the clevis out just a tiny bit, the pedal action is great now, you can feel when the pin starts to push on the MC, just a little bit of play.

My pedal squeaked for a long time and then stopped awhile ago. I'm really gald I did this job when I did.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I gathered the courage and replaced my pedal assembly with the GoWesty version today.

Thank you to everyone who contributed here. Thumbs Up

Removing the master cylinder and using the magnet trick for the circlip helped tremendously. I will caution that the plastic barb on the feed line for the master cylinder is quite fragile.
bluesforcarlsagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Been struggling for hours trying to get the pin pushed far enough to the passenger side so the pedal drops... I need some words of encouragement/guidance or I am just going to give up, my neck can't take the abuse anymore. Boo hoo! Boo hoo!
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

There is a set pin on the passenger side of the clevis pin. If the clevis pin is not rotated in the right orientation, towards the driver, that set pin may instead interfere with the body of the van and not slide out far enough for the pedal to drop.

Hope this helps. Stick with it!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: