Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Is the pin touching the ''transmission hump?" (actually the radiator hump)
Can you push it back leftward, dent the hump and get more clearance?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Here are some better images from deeper in this thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The “Roll Pin” pictured here.

You can see where this roll pin can hit the painted body of the van and restrict the shaft from moving towards the passenger side.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

OK so just to be clear here, when I did my clutch I only pushed that pin over enough just to get the clutch pedal off. And to do so it wasn't still straigh across, but a little angled down. So that roll pin was never a concern for me. Were you guys pulling that big pin all the way out?
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
OK so just to be clear here, when I did my clutch I only pushed that pin over enough just to get the clutch pedal off. And to do so it wasn't still straigh across, but a little angled down. So that roll pin was never a concern for me. Were you guys pulling that big pin all the way out?

No, it doesn’t need to come all the way out. It just has to rotate and push out about as far as it is in that last photo I posted (sourced from the gallery). The issue is that sometimes the roll pin will hit that portion of the body if it is pointed down towards the floor.
bluesforcarlsagan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I have the pin oriented correctly. Seems like I need to force the pin to go a bit slanted to clear the radiator hump, tight against it. Problem is when I twist the pedals and pry to get the pin to move that extra bit, the pin becomes so tight it will not budge... my ocd will not let me give up yet.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

bluesforcarlsagan wrote:
Been struggling for hours trying to get the pin pushed far enough to the passenger side so the pedal drops...

I’ve never done this, but try loosening the four pedal cluster mounting bolts?
Maybe it will let the cluster shift leftward off the 18mm pin.
You can see the 4 bolts that hold the cluster in this pic (from post: CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal)

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Complaining this job. I take it the big pin gets pushed to the right then the boot and pushrod pull away from the master as the pedal is maneuvered out?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Contemplating!
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Complaining this job. I take it the big pin gets pushed to the right then the boot and pushrod pull away from the master as the pedal is maneuvered out?

It’s much easier if you just remove the master cylinder first and pull it away from the push rod. It gives you much more room.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

It's OK to complain about this job. Unbolt the clutch master at the least. I removed mine to replace it.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Lol, I must admit I didn't read this whole thread when I needed to do this job. Just the last couple pages. So, Sodo when you asked if I was going to cut off that unused arm I thought you meant the pivot arm that was now too long after drilling a new hole. Embarassed. So no,I didn't cut off that extra arm. One thing to note that there isn't alot of mention of the 1/2" spacer for the modified pedal in small car bell housing conversions. Some but not alot. Just kind of bumping that fact .
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Since the smallcar pedal mod is not a "1/2hour replacement" topic, I replied to your question in more detail on page 17 of the SmallCar bellhousing thread.

I tried.
Sorry.
That's the danger of going off-topic on a technical thread.
I try to avoid it.
But members with Smallcar bellhousings, who ALSO have a worn-out pivot,
have the opportunity to solve two problems when their pedal is out.

If the Smallcar pedal mod is discussed on the SmallCar bellhousing(p17) thread then all the info is in one place.
That's the hope.
It doesn't always work out that way.

Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

With the master out of the way, is it possible then to determine if the clevis hole is actually worn, or if the pushrod adjustment is off? The master on mine looks like it was replaced at some point and I'm thinking variance in production tolerance could account for the 1.5 inches of slop.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
With the master out of the way, is it possible then to determine if the clevis hole is actually worn, or if the pushrod adjustment is off? The master on mine looks like it was replaced at some point and I'm thinking variance in production tolerance could account for the 1.5 inches of slop.

I think it’s more likely that the mounting of the master or the adjustment of the pushrod is wrong rather than production tolerance.

With the master cylinder removed you could probably reach up and use the pushrod to feel the clevis pin for movement.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

R0ckyMtnCamper wrote:
Igeo wrote:
With the master out of the way, is it possible then to determine if the clevis hole is actually worn, or if the pushrod adjustment is off?

With the master cylinder removed you could probably reach up and use the pushrod to feel the clevis pin for movement.

Very good point ROckyMtn !!!

I just went out to the van and checked this.
(like Samba old days, right? but NOT in skivvies.)

=================
If you put your right hand up in there, between the gas pedal and the brake pedal, you can feel the pleated rubber boot on the clutch master cylinder.

Squeeze it and you can feel the clevis pushrod.

Now wiggle the clutch pedal up/down in its slop and you will feel the response on the clevis pushrod.
If you think it's more than 1/8" it needs attention.
If it's 1/4" --- catastrophic failure is imminent.
===============

I'm making a PSA image for this because this strands a Vanagon in BFE,
where there's no mechanic who can fix it (except for an real Vanagon mechanic or DIY).

I put the new image on the thread:CHECK the slop in your clutch pedal

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Quote:
Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour!

Wow! Somebody call Guiness. Wink
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:
Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour!

Wow! Somebody call Guiness. Wink

Guiness definitely helps with this job.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

After pondering on this one, and realizing I haven't flushed that clutch line for 4 years, I'm leaning on just opening the slave bleeder and letting the line drain down, then removing the clutch master to get it out of the way. Then (I hear) I can get a better view of how to approach this job. If the clevis feels OK, then I can fuss with adjustment of the pushrod to try and reduce the play. Seems like half of the folks spend hours on this job just to discover minimal wear. I don't want to spend that time with getting my 6'5" self into position if I don't have to.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

I got mine out and found that it was in good condition but it was worth the peace of mind to know that the clutch pedal won’t fail on me at any given moment. I replaced it with GoWesty’s solution.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch pedal replacement in 1/2 hour! (Pics) Reply with quote

Before removing the master, I tried to push the fluid out of the system with my pressure bleeder, but the slave bleeder was plugged, so I had to clear that first. Then the fluid drained out and was cleaner than I was expecting.

With the master out of the way I held the pushrod and worked the pedal. I'd say about 1/4 inch of play. The pedal play is just over and inch. I'll get under there later and get that pedal out to see once and for all.

The slave loioks ancient, and the plugged bleeder makes me nervous, but the fluid was pretty clean, so I'm inclined to leave it alone. Maybe I'll order a new one to carry on trips. The master looks too clean to be original.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: