Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifter won't come out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a 1980 Vanagon Westi, 2.0 air cooled motor.I have had lifters go bad (soft not pumping up) in the past and have had no issues pulling the rocker assembly off and sliding the pushrod tub out, then simply using a magnet to pull out the lifter. This time it wont wont come out. Its the #1 not sure if its intake or exhaust, its the second one back from the front. It moves about 1/2 a inch, then i can here it hitting something. I was even able to get a right angle pic behind the retainer clip and really give it a good pull but no luck. Am I missing something? Like I said I have done this before and was a simple 1 hr job, Ive look in with a bore scope, but see nothing. Was I lucky the last time? Does the piston have to be in a certain position? I dont want to pull the motor, head etc for a simple job. Any insight would be appreciated . Charlie

Last edited by calo1956 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

there's a little burr that's formed on the inside of the block casting you have to get beyond. either get a rilly strong neodymium magnet or use a lifter puller that grabs the lifter and has a small slide hammer on it.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

I have a vague memory of a member with the exact same issue. I recall the lifter was mushroomed from wear and was hanging up on the case. I would suspect something similar or someone in rebuilding the engine put in a Type 1 lifter that can only be installed from the cam side of the case. I recall the member got it out, but the lifter bore was damage in he process. Hope I am wrong.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I recall the lifter was mushroomed from wear and was hanging up on the case.

you're right. that makes more sense than a burr on the case.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

The pictures appear to show the pushrod tubes in place. You need to pop those out before the lifters will come out. I’m 90% sure.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

Thank Dan and Mark, all good theories but I have pulled them out in the past, so i dont think that have to be pulled from the inside. The mushrooming theory could have merit though. And Mark the pushrod you see is not the one im trying to get the lifter out of. I just left it there. I just hope Im not screwed with this one. Thanks again.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

why are you trying to remove it?
replacing it? bleeding it?
how many miles on the engine?

they can for sure wear a ridge inside lifter bore and be difficult to remove.
try probing around in there and see if you can feel it.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

You may be right, but I would never go that far into a 2.0 without resealing the pushrod tubes. They are stamped sheetmetal and one could have a distorted end. But that’s me. We were resealing pushrod tubes under warranty when they were new. Viton O rings seemed to improve the seal. But by all means don’t let me get in your way. Good luck.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

Hey Born in a bus, the lifter went soft, motor was ticking so i pulled the valve cover and three of the four rockers were solid, this one I could easily depress the rocker arm with one finger. I have around 28,000 miles on a rebuild, and had to do one last summer, slipped right out. I remember having to do it on the original motor back in the 80's.
Mark There is no sealant on my pushrod tubes, and they dont leak. I pop them out, and pop them right back in. I have change the O rings but last time was sent the wrong outer one and it was fine using the old one.
Ill give it another go tomorrow and see if i can get it out. Thanks to you all for your help..
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter wont come out Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
...the lifter went soft, motor was ticking so i pulled the valve cover and three of the four rockers were solid, this one I could easily depress the rocker arm with one finger. I have around 28,000 miles on a rebuild...

is your van just coming out of winter storage?

it's not uncommon for lifters to bleed down when the van sits for long (and sometimes not so long) periods of time. even though it sounds like hell, there's no harm in just running the van as normal--like driving it--until the lifter pumps up and quiets down. it can take some miles sometimes. i would only remove the lifter if it was a regularly occurring issue.

there's a ton of info here about how to help prevent bleed down through additives, oil/filter choice and also what to do when they do become problematic.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

Nope, its a daily driver, I do know about lifter bleed down and it occurs if it sits awhile but goes away quiet quickly, this isnt going away.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

firstly that's an intake valve, middle two are always intake, outer two exhaust.
all VW flat 4 engines, be they air-cooled bug, WBX or type IV, late bay, early vanagon.
l use this type of tool to pull out lifters, admittedly mine does not have the slide hammer part, it would make it likely useless.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W84004-Hydraulic-Remover/dp/B000N324DU?th=1
does the lifter move outwards at all ?
it moves the travel of the cam lobe, if you were to rotate the engine to that #1 inlet valve would be closed, ie at the bottom of it's travel, can you move it to the top of it's travel easily, can you see if you can rotate that lifter, can you get a sharpe in there and mark it, and then see if you can rotate it, it might at least tell you if it's gotten burred over, if you are unable to rotate it, it would suggest that perhaps it is burred and you have bigger problems.
in which case, l might put it back together and run it, or find another block and start rebuilding another, so your commuter vehicle is now down for an extended period of time while you are looking for parts, or trying to get machine work done.

619 201 0310
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

I ordered the tool, will give it a try, if that doesnt work im putting it back together. Im not a engine builder by any means, thanks for your info, ill see how it goes and post results
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

Tubes don’t get sealant. The O rings seal. Not sure where you got the idea I said sealant. As you stated, they pop right out and in with fresh O rings. I’m just at a loss as to why you’d be trying to work down a tiny hole to remove the lifters when basically they are right there with the tubes out of the way and you could clearly see what is going on. But you are there and I am not. Good luck.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

the pushrod tube has been removed, that hole is not going to get any bigger.
you can see the side of the rusty exhaust

MarkWard wrote:
Tubes don’t get sealant. The O rings seal. Not sure where you got the idea I said sealant. As you stated, they pop right out and in with fresh O rings. I’m just at a loss as to why you’d be trying to work down a tiny hole to remove the lifters when basically they are right there with the tubes out of the way and you could clearly see what is going on. But you are there and I am not. Good luck.

619 201 0310
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

be careful using the lifter extractor. if the end of the lifter is buggered up it'll score the wall of the lifter bore. this needs to seal some oil pressure for the lifter to work. if it doesn't come out with gentle persuasion, try rotating the lifter to another position but i'd avoid just whanging it out on chance of scoring the boring.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

Thanks Mark now I know how to tell intake from exhaust . Lifter puller coming sometime today, doubt thats gonna do it, Ill try turing and looking with the bore scope, but I dont have a good feeling about this.
What makes a lifter loose its ability to pump up , it seems like a simple spring and plunger set up.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, I hear you on that, i think im screwed...
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
What makes a lifter loose its ability to pump up , it seems like a simple spring and plunger set up.

the check ball typically gets a black deposit on it that prevents it from sealing well. they can be manually cleaned up with solvent. the internal piston also gets sticky from varnish buildup. they CAN be cleaned up but an aggressive solvent like acetone, xylene, or lacquer thinner is needed.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lifter won't come out Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
the pushrod tube has been removed, that hole is not going to get any bigger.
you can see the side of the rusty exhaust

MarkWard wrote:

My mistake. Realize I’m reading and posting on an iPhone SE. I don’t get a lot of detail in photos. From memory the lifters share the cam lobe on opposite sides. How about removing the opposite side and viewing the cam lobe? I could also be wrong. Memory fails me sometimes. If the lifter has been peened, I’d expect the cam lobe to show some signs of unusual wear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: