Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All About my Raby Suby--74 Westy to Jake
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are probably right. What I remember is that you could look down thru the hole and see lots of ground on both sides of the engine. He mentioned HP, torque, ratios, and all that which I don't remember. BUt what really stood out as impressive was the cost. He also mentioned that upgrading to turbo was not a big deal either.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks cool but man the conversion kit alone cost what a full blown rebuild of a 2.1 I just did on a vanagon new heads and all I think if it were me the suby way mite be better is the kit more cost affective?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/mazda-engine-news-mazda-sky-gas-and-diesel-details

how about this guy? on that site it says 40 mpg, but in the UK they get 61 mpg with the 2wd manual trans, and 54 with the 4wd auto trans combo. and like 310 ft lbs of torque...at 2k...thatd be nice for towing...

**the diesel, not the gas motor**

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, i checked jakes site, and neither here nor there has he updated it. anyone know anything about the project and wanna say something? all yall who effed this up in the first place, just stay quiet, id rather learn about the project than argue.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stylinlp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raby, im sure this has been asked before. But wouldn't to be easier for you and the customer if a certified VW shop localy to the customer do the conversion using your parts/kit?

You would have developed professional relationship with certain highly regarded shops to do the work. Know of one in Phoenix az?

Seems to me it would be MUCH less of a headache for you dealing with a pro shop that is responsible for the customers happiness and warranty work.
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything in that 10 second video looked and sounded great.

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bcoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it in person, and Jake has definitely put it to the test.
86 syncro tintop 2.2 suby, 86 syncro tintop stock,dune buggy 2.2 suby powered,dune buggy 3.1 gm. chaindriven dune buggy 3.1 turbo charged propane,dune buggy 1914 vw, Myers Manx tow'd,and the list goes on.
kennybench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you Bcoe this bus is AWESOME. We have been driving the heck out of it and every time it brings a smile to my face. the power is astonishing and we are able to keep up with the pace and flow of traffic without being a menace on the road. the bus now has a modern, powerful and reliable engine and tranny in the coolest skin of all time. over the 4th weekend we took it up into the hills of Idaho including up a very long 7-8% average grade. the bus rolled right up the grade in 4th gear at 3000rpm. mind blowing. A blast.
anyway, I have written privately to Jake (and others who are on the Samba) about the build and how happy we are with it. I have not gotten back into this thread due to the hostility and push back which this topic seems to elicit from some of the Samba wizards. I am certainly happy to visit with anyone who is serious about a similar Raby build job. I cannot recommend Jake and his team high enough. My brother is next in line for the same Subaru engine and tranny build job.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennybench,
All that matters to me is that you are, and continue to be blown away with what we have created.

Factory appearing, quiet, powerful, fast, cool running (in any environment!) and reliable.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
kennybench,
All that matters to me is that you are, and continue to be blown away with what we have created.

Factory appearing, quiet, powerful, fast, cool running (in any environment!) and reliable.

right there with ya jake, the only opinion that matters is the one who is paying for the work to be done, and their satisfaction is #1. i feel the same way about my job. co workers can tell me what to do all they want...the only person who will make me do anything different will be my boss. Smile

^^and i mean that in a positive way. Smile

on a side note...now i really cant wait to have some money...i know what ill be doing with it. Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were there pics of the radiator setup?
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that little video of the end product would put a nice full stop (period in the USA) to this thread and close it off nicely. Very Happy
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Were there pics of the radiator setup?

On my camera and on the camera belonging to the owner.
The radiators are just one sub-system of this cooling system. Alone they don't create the miracles.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: