Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob suspension questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Noob suspension questions Reply with quote

For those that don't know, I'm a noob when it comes to all things automobile related but I'm a DIYer and slowly learning. I typically thread hop a do various searches to educate myself.

However...you don't know what you don't know;)

So here goes:

How do I know if my suspension is in good working order? Are there basic tests I can do (like jump on the bumper and see how many times it bounces)?

I've had the bus for two years and I have no idea what the PO did in terms of maintenance.

Some notes of my daily driving experience:

If I stop hard (I tested going about 5mph) the bus dives and comes up but no bouncing.

When going over bumps it makes a sound that I can only describe as the sound a bed might make when people are doing it (just a quick noise that lasts a second).

When driving and I get hit with a big gust of wind from the side sometimes it feels like I might be over correcting and the bus seems to rock like a boat (no where close to tipping though).

Normal driving (even over crappy California freeways) it doesn't feel harsh like a truck but it also doesn't feel like an old Cadillac where it feels like its floating.

I'm not familiar with all the components of the suspension system so it's hard to know what to search for (although I have read a lot of "shocks" threads.

So where do I start and what concerns if any should I have and if I need to do anything what tools will I need and how hard will it be to fix for a noob like me?

Oh and when I get a chance I'll post a pic of the bus and you guys can tell me if I have a saggy but;)
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ivwShane, Since you live in sac as I do maybe we should get together and take your bus to my friends place put it up on her lift and have a look see!! Very Happy I can point out all that you would need to know while standing!!!! Plus you could meet the group. We are called Nor Cal Bays and would love a new member. We hang out and work on our rides and learn from each other. No dues no politics just like minded people keeping the buses running. Breck PS: your description fits the ride quality of all three buses that I have owned!! Shocked
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breck wrote:
Hey ivwShane, Since you live in sac as I do maybe we should get together and take your bus to my friends place put it up on her lift and have a look see!! Very Happy I can point out all that you would need to know while standing!!!! Plus you could meet the group. We are called Nor Cal Bays and would love a new member. We hang out and work on our rides and learn from each other. No dues no politics just like minded people keeping the buses running. Breck PS: your description fits the ride quality of all three buses that I have owned!! Shocked

Nice! Do you guys have a website?
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two, here is the main site for all air cooled vws. http://www.norcalvdubs.com/
and here is the new one for the Nor Cal Bays just formed
http://myhrdly.wix.com/nor-cal-bays#!form__map/c24vq
Breck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Kim have a sweet set up where we hang out and play. Kim is the owner of the White bus at the Nor Cal site. Like I said we are all about helping one another and keeping them running and out of the crusher. Join us some time and hang out. You will not be sorry. Breck
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creaking sound means you need to grease the beam. there are four grease nipples for the torsion arms and one for the steering centre pin. you can use up a lot of grease on these if the bus hasn't been greased in a while.

one of the easiest ways to check for steering play, which is quite common, is to have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you look from below. there is a wiggle spot where the wheel is moving back and forth and the wheels are barely moving, this is the motion you want at the wheel. it is usually obvious where steering play is coming from when you do this. look for the relay lever, the part with the two tierods at rear, and drag link at front, look for that to bob up and down at the rear end where tierods attach. if it bobs up and down while your helper is doing the "wheels not moving steering wheel wiggle" then the centre pin bushings are bad - very common.

balljoints can be checked for play but it's hard to do without the factory lever tool.
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When driving and I get hit with a big gust of wind from the side sometimes it feels like I might be over correcting and the bus seems to rock like a boat (no where close to tipping though).

Really sloppy feeling suspension can be the result of the wrong kind of tires installed and/or under pressured tires. Passenger car tires commonly get installed on a bus. A big mistake for handling and tire wear.
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sloppy feeling suspension can be the result of the wrong kind of tires installed and/or under pressured tires. Passenger car tires commonly get installed on a bus. A big mistake for handling and tire wear.
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22

Last edited by Video Bob on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Bob wrote:

I'll check the pressure but the tires are commercial rated tires (it was one of the first things I checked when I bought it).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: