Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leak from AAZ injection pump
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6zamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Leak from AAZ injection pump Reply with quote

Hello,

Can someone please help me out with this leak coming from the bolt on my injection pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LeakyInjectionPump by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

What does this bolt adjust?

What do I need to do to fix the leak?

And how do I make sure that I get it adjusted back to where it was?

Thanks again,

Ryan 82' Westy AAZ intercooled
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the part with the yellow paint on it that will take an odd socket to remove (circle with two flats cut in it), then it is the internal pressure regulator which controls the dynamic timing advance. It has an o-ring (actually two, but it looks like the outer one leaking). Get a six point 10mm socket and round out four of the six sides appropriately. Twist it out, swap the o-ring, twist it back in. The o-ring is available at any Bosch dealer. It is installed flush, so there is no adjustment necessary to swap the o-ring(s).
VR6zamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is it - at first I thought it was coming from the fuel supply line. But after cleaning it all up, and starting the engine again it is coming from the funky nut with the yellow on it.

Thanks again!
VR6zamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using a green o-ring that looked the exact same size as the one that was in there.

It works, no leak!

But do I need to be worried about it not being made for a diesel application - and possibly breaking down sooner then later?

I believe it was a factory o-ring for an A/C system.
Derek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from AAZ injection pump Reply with quote

Resurrecting this old thread because I've discovered a similar leak on my AAZ pump on the part above the return. I think it's the same location as the original post, but the head appears different. It's a very slow seep while running that will slightly mist under load. Is this the same internal pressure regulator as the OP or that can be remedied with some O rings?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from AAZ injection pump Reply with quote

Nope, that is a failure of a different seal that is quite hard to get to.
VR6zamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from AAZ injection pump Reply with quote

Funny to see this 10 years later. I now have what looks to be oil occasionally spraying out of the square fitting pictured above. Is that even possible?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Leak from AAZ injection pump Reply with quote

It is possible for oil to leak out there. That orifice leads to below the diaphragm of the boost pin. Above the diaphragm is exposed to boost air and that boost air will have some oil in it from the crank vent. If the oil is reaching the lower part and there is enough that it is leaking out, then likely the boost diaphragm is leaking and should be addressed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: