Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flooded deep cycle in small cabinet?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Flooded deep cycle in small cabinet? Reply with quote

Searched and could not find a clear answer.
Can I safely install a flooded deep cycle battery like the Trojan SCS200,
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS20012V.aspx,
in the small cabinet? The AGM batteries do not need venting but are more expensive. Looks like PDXWesty and (many) others have mounted flooded deep cycle batts under the sink and haven't mentioned venting problems. I currently have a 44 A/hr Werker behind the driver's seat but now that the TruckFridge and Propex are installed its time to upgrade aux. battery capacity.

Thanks.

Last edited by singler3360 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not double your Werker and put it under the sink?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Why not double your Werker and put it under the sink?

Hey Timwhy. We pack the under sink cabinet full. I don't think my wife would be happy, necessarily. I like the idea of the battery being completely out of the way. Just don't know if I can get away with a flooded battery in the smaller cabinet space.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could double the werker in that location, I get you want more and the battery out of site but where ever it is the same amount of space is lost. Good Luck......Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall right, Flooded goes through a little water, would vapor/gasses be ok being close to your general living/breathing area?

Only known batteries to not offgas are the likes of a sealed, AGM which I felt more comfortable putting inside.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: batteries Reply with quote

I have 2 6v golf cart batteries wired in series in that location. Altogether about 120 amp hours - takes up some space, but the availability of space with the hightop more than makes up for it. I'll take some pics tomorrow and popst here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single group 27 in a plastic box fits well under the rear seat on the right side.

110ah from Walmart for $70

The starting battery is a flooded cell with no special venting.

So no problems me thinks

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flooded deep cycle in small cabinet? Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
...Can I safely install a flooded deep cycle battery like the Trojan SCS200,
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS20012V.aspx,
in the small cabinet? ...

I think the question was not what batteries fit under the rear seat ...
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

I thought I saw vents in the starter battery compartment. Don't know the overall effect they have though.

Quote:

Correct. I took r39o's point that he has a group 27 flooded deep cycle unvented in the living area. Under the bench seat is a larger volume compared to the small cabinet. Maybe that matters?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When batteries get charged the give off hydrogen gas and oxygen, these are given off is the exact right proportions to burn/explode, the resulting product is water. That is why some people are really opposed to batteries in non sealed compartments, a spark can set the H2 and O2 off and ruin your whole day, but as hydrogen is obviously very light it does not pool like propane and will rise right out the top of the van if the top is up and typically the battery is only getting a large charge current when it is driving so plenty of air is moving around to prevent any build up of H2 gas.

FWIW I have batteries in a plywood box in my van, there are a couple small holes drilled in the top of the box to let H2 out.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My starting battery has a vent tube that drops though the bottom of the battery box. The wet cell house battery had one from the factory, as well. That has since been replaced with an AGM battery that needs no venting.

I would be concerned about gassing from a wet cell battery inside a cabinet in close proximity to a propane stove and fridge.

But, maybe that's just me!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an off grid solar home that I built I know a lot about battery’s 1 battery that is off gassing will not hurt you. The only time it will off gas is when it is being charged so at night when you are in the van it will not off gas.If you are worried put a small vent or tube out the floor.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA cells don't gas until about 2.38V, your van charging system will never take them that high because car charging systems are set up not to gas. That also means that batteries don't last as long as they could because they never get to gassing V, never mind never getting a EQ charge.

Gels and AGM's are the same LA chemistry but shouldn't be brought to gassing V because there's no way to replace the lost water. It's also why their life is much shorter than flooded cells.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
LA cells don't gas until about 2.38V, your van charging system will never take them that high because car charging systems are set up not to gas.

I stand corrected.

Thanks.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
LA cells don't gas until about 2.38V.

Is 2.38V supposed to be 12.38V, which also seams too low, charging voltage is more like 13? What am I missing?

I too have been thinking about the Hydrogen gas issue...I just put a group 27 battery under the back seat in a box with some vent holes. I was pretty sure this was enough venting but do have an opportunity to add an exterior vent hose easily through the old ECU wiring hole (not used, conversion) which is right next to the battery. Worth doing?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquigs wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
LA cells don't gas until about 2.38V.

Is 2.38V supposed to be 12.38V, which also seams too low, charging voltage is more like 13? What am I missing?

I think he meant 2.38 per cell -- i.e. 2.38 x 6 = 14.28 VDC

FWIW -- I have my aux battery in a close fitting wood box with no deliberate venting. No problems in the 20 years of using that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: battery Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
r39o wrote:

I thought I saw vents in the starter battery compartment. Don't know the overall effect they have though.

Quote:

Correct. I took r39o's point that he has a group 27 flooded deep cycle unvented in the living area. Under the bench seat is a larger volume compared to the small cabinet. Maybe that matters?
Blue Bay Bus The US government does not allow a battery in the passenger compartment, unless the battery is vented. IE Mazda Miata, Toyota Prius, are that way The batters for those cost more because they are vented. There should be small vent holes in your battery box. Are vans come with lids that have gaskets from the factory, and are sealed well. After years our lids do not fit that good anymore . That said I will only use a sealed battery in my van in any other location. But I don't know anybody that got sick or blew themselves up. So me think you can put it wherever you want, your are the one that has to live with it! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: battery Reply with quote

It is only campers that have sealed type battery compartments. Passenger vans have open battery compartments, even models that came stock with 2 batteries, 1 under each of the front seats.

Mark

joseph928 wrote:
[The US government does not allow a battery in the passenger compartment, unless the battery is vented. IE Mazda Miata, Toyota Prius, are that way The batters for those cost more because they are vented. There should be small vent holes in your battery box. Are vans come with lids that have gaskets from the factory, and are sealed well. After years our lids do not fit that good anymore . That said I will only use a sealed battery in my van in any other location. But I don't know anybody that got sick or blew themselves up. So me think you can put it wherever you want, your are the one that has to live with it! Very Happy
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think your "maintenance-free" battery is sealed, you are mistaken; it has pressure-regulated valves that release cell gases if you are careless enough to let cell V get and stay above the gassing point of ~2.38V/cell. Without controlled venting what would happen? Why the casing would rupture, of course, and then you would have a problem on your hands.

And only some Westy's have a seat-pillar battery enclosure that even pretends to seal off ("pretends" because the ones that do must suppose a hydrogen molecule is about as big as a golf ball). Non-westy's have loose-fitting battery box covers and no pretension toward walling off the battery enclosure.

The worst thing you could do, in fact, is to seal the battery in an enclosure at all; now if the cells gas you are trapping the combustible gases, and are dependent on whatever vents are provided to allow the H2 to escape, whereas if you simply left the battery more open the H2 would rise and dissipate in air to a mixture outside the combustible range almost instantaneously, the molecule is that small and light. Not that that situation would ever arise if you keep cell V below ~2.38. Which your voltage regulator already does.

In order to pose a combustion danger the battery has to generate gas faster then the gases generated escape the area, and as molecules go these particular ones happen to be the universe's fastest escape artists.

And, as solarguy pointed out, in order to generate an amount of H2 gas that might pose any danger, you would need to have a big battery in a tightly-enclosed space, and charge it well above the gassing V for some time. I have over 500 pounds of flooded LA cells in a tightly-enclosed box that operates my entire house and shop, which are charged daily to the point of mild gassing, said enclosure also being shared with the inverter and all switchgear, and in 16 years of use the only time I vent that box is when I leave the cover off during equalisation sessions where the cell V is taken to over 2.58 and the cells gas violently! Under the daily charge regimen the amount of gas generated poses no danger. That's 500 pounds of cells!

The biggest problem posed by even a couple hundred pounds of LA cells in a van is the corrosive effect of the sulfurous residue that batteries also emit. Apart from that, any battery anywhere poses actual explosion danger if it is mishandled (like for instance working carelessly with metal tools above uncovered connections). Worry about that more than venting some little toy battery, even the toy one can cost you your eyesight if you toy with it.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I or don't I add vent holes to the top of my unsealed plastic battery box under my rear seat?

Me thinks not because it would be provided if the makers thought it was required.

The box should contain most of the bad stuff my battery may produce, i think. Right, that the idea of such enclosures?

As an aside, my wall AC powered smart battery charger causes my batteries to gas "some" from time to time...emmm.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: