Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Maintenance
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Andrew A. Libby - in the archives... wrote:
The usual fault is a fairly common problem with the later door design and both a PITA and fairly easily fixed. It starts to show up when the door will bounce back if you shut it too hard. Eventually it gets to the point where the door won't latch at all. The problem is caused by a very small spring in the rear latch mechanism that gradually loses it's tension. When working properly, that spring causes the rear latch to "catch". Without it being strong enough, the door just bounces back off the pin without catching (even tho it seems to work manually when you push the latch like you did). Pull the interior handle and door panel off being careful to pull from the plastic tabs with a putty knife or better yet a door panel removal tool. Once the panel is removed, remove the little circlip from the cable that runs from the front mechanism to the rear mechanism and pull the cable off the front mechanism. Then go to the back and use a 90° screwdriver (or a bit in a 1/4" wrench) to remove the two screws holding on the rear mechanism. Pull it out far enough to undo the circlip that holds the other end of the cable in place. You can then see the little spring that I'm talking about that pushes against the lever part that holds the latch in place. Remove it and use two pairs of pliers to really bend it out so that it is exerting a whole lot more force. Reassemble everything and give it a go.

This will fix the 'bounces back when shut hard' problem...

I have a problem in that the rear latch "bounces back" (only about 1/4") when NOT shut hard. It is latched but just not latched completely I guess: I can't figure it out. Shutting the door harder or pushing in on the back near the latch as I shut it and it works fine. Any ideas?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying I can run these Titanium & Stainless steel bearings on my lower door roller?

windnsea wrote:
The actual roller bearing slider is exactly the same size as the standard skateboard roller bearings. Pop by a skateboard place and pick 'em up for about a buck apiece!!

Ebay ad wrote:
Features:
1. Everyone who rides these Skateboard Bearings knows how fast they are, and most also comment on how long they last
2. Skaters who use these Skateboard Bearings do so because they want the very best equipment they can get and they know the difference between ordinary and exceptional
3. These Durable Skateboard Bearings are the ideal ones for you
4. Don't miss these Skateboard Bearings

Specifications:
1. Condition:New
2. Material:Titanium,Stainless Steel
3. Weight: 91g/ 3.21oz
4. Dimension: 0.83 x 0.83 x 0.27in/2.1 x 2.1 x 0.7cm (L x W x H)
5. Package Size:0.98 x 2.20inch/2.5 x 5.6cm(D x H)
6.Color:Red

Package Includes:
1 x A Box of Skatebaord Bearings Abec 9

Sizing Chart

1?What size skateboard bearings do I need for my skateboard wheels?

All skateboard bearings are the same size, so you don't need to worry about size when selecting bearings. However, the ABEC rating denotes the quality of materials and precision used in manufacturing the bearing. Higher rated bearings are higher quality.

Skateboard bearings are used to mount the skateboard wheels to the skateboard axle. Skateboard bearings are all the same size and will fit any skateboard wheel that Warehouse Skateboards sells. While they do not vary in size, they do vary in quality. The rule of thumb tends to be that the more expensive the skateboard bearings, the higher the quality. When you choose to purchase inexpensive bearings, they tend to be made with cheaper materials, so when you come to a sudden stop, your board may not perform as well. The more expensive skateboard bearings are actually made with better sealing, more inner ball bearings and higher-quality metals.

2?ABEC ratings

Most bearings are measured by an ABEC rating. The higher the ABEC rating, the more accurate and precise the bearing will be. This rating system includes grades 1,3,5,7 and 9. The closer you get to an ABEC 9 rating, the faster and less friction you will have when skateboarding.

ABEC 1- skateboard bearings tend to be the least expensive, most crude and the least precise.
ABEC 3- skateboard bearings tend to be inexpensive and do not roll very smoothly or fast.
ABEC 5- skateboard bearings are the norm in skateboarding. With this rating you get a good amount of speed at an average cost.
ABEC 7- skateboard bearings are very fast and smooth and tend to be slightly more expensive.
ABEC 9- and higher skateboard bearings are extremely fast and are used more for downhill skating and skaters that want to go insanely fast

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just worked on the door and will add my observations to this thread:

Goal was to clean all rolling mechanisms and install UHMW tape. Did that, and it helped, but the two roller bearings under the track cover were toast.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Learned here that skateboard bearings work, buddy owns a shop and gave me a couple, fit is perfect.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Keys (all learned on samba):
1. Removing track cover--good padded upward whacks after removing 2 screws and slipping the cover tabs above the track tabs. Also needed to free up the munge along the bulb trim that acts like glue.

2. Find notch in track to release bearing assembly, and prop door on something.

3. Old bearing inner races were stuck, I carefully cut them off with a dremel/chisel.

Once again everything I needed to learn to fix this was available searching.
Thor-bob Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a squeak develop from the catch finger that holds the door open rubbing against the body of the truck arm holder, when the door was closed. There used to be some foam there, so I glued a few layers of packing leather (cow suede) onto where the catch finger would live, and then placed some graphite onto the leather. Never squeaked again.

Hurray for Luddite materials!

Thor
1990 Carat
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Maintenance Reply with quote

I have a 1984 Campmobile with the early door. It requires excessive effort on the exterior handle to get the latch to open. Every time I open it, I feel like the handle is going to break off.

The handle and latch move freely when the door is open, so my best guess is that the door's adjustable arms may have the door either too far in or out which puts pressure on the latch. Anyone else BTDT?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Maintenance Reply with quote

Many problems with the Vanagon sliding door can be remedied by first properly aligning the door within its opening, on all planes.

This won't solve ALL door problems, but is the best place to start; and some problems cannot be solved WITHOUT this important first step.

Start on Page 58.5 of the Bentley manual, and go around adjusting all the points where the door attaches to the body. Your goal is for the door, when closed, to be:
    level
    equal spacing around all four sides
    flush with adjacent body panels (neither recessed nor extended outward)

Once this is done, start working on aligning the striker plates mounted to the body with their respective latch mechanisms on the door. These can be adjusted by slightly loosening their bolts, gently tapping with a plastic mallet to adjust, then retightening.

Hope this helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Maintenance Reply with quote

do you have the upgraded bushing for the door handle?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301319325029

that alone is huge. a dab of oil on the bushing where it meets the handle makes things that much better

but it needs to be in good adjustment to all work

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Maintenance Reply with quote

Thanks to you both.

It seems to be level and centered, so I’ll try to adjust the striker plates.

I don’t know if I have the upgraded bushing but the handle turns very freely now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Maintenance Reply with quote

it's not about the handle turning freely, it's about giving the base the needed support so the square stock pressed into the handle doesn't blow the pot metal out like a baked potato

the OE was like a rubbery ring (like an o-ring) and the new bushing is really nice, almost a hard plastic and gives the handle a surface to work against while opening the door

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: