Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this bus worth saving?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving? Reply with quote

I found this bus rotting in a yard in the Imperial Valley (about 2 hours east of San Diego).

Anyone think it's worth saving? I can give directions and more photos if someone wants to take the project on.

Not sure what year it is, maybe a '63? There are three pics in the gallery.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/91577.jpg

I don't have time, place or funds to fix this one.....

Turbo_g
66 Custom Kombi
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

It really depends on where you live. Someone that lives where rust isn't a problem would probably not take it on, but someone back east that sees a lot of rust, would consider it not too rusy and restore. Me personally, I don't think it's too far gone at all. Fairly straight, fix some rust-outs, and you're set. I've heard many stories of people back east replacing the bottom 12" of a car due to rust. If I had the resources, I might take it on. Especially since it's a flip-top Westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbo_g

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

I have pics of the interior, some of the westy parts are still there, the nose has a dent in it, lots of the glass is broken. The dash is PRISTINE. It's too much work for me, I'm just hoping to turn someone on to it who will save it. I think the old lady who owns the property would give it away pretty cheap. I love that it is "sub-hatch" Westy too.

Anyone care to guess the year?

Turbo_g
66 Custom Kombi
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Definately a do it yourself project. Would be way too expensive to justify professional costs on the bodywork and rust, given what it would be worth in nice condition. I found a '57, 11 window out in the Southern Oregon countryside this weekend. Guy only wanted $500 and it was in nicer shape than the one pictured above.
Evoracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

I could use some parts off of it if you want to pass on the location.
turbo_g

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Take I8 east from San Diego to Imperial Valley, south on Hwy 111 to Cole Rd., right, to Scaroni Rd, right, to Comanche Rd. Left go all the way to the end, make a right and look in the lot to the right. The lady who owns the property lives on Comanche Rd (according to Spanish speaking guy around there last week).

I did not contact her about the bus.

Good luck, it would be a cool project though. Wish I had the time, resources and skill to bring it back to life.

Turbo_g
66 Custom Kombi
VintageDreamz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Turbo_g,
It is a 63, the rear bumper and pinkish/purple paint were a one year only option.

VintageDreamz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbo_g

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

VintageDreamz,

Yeah, I thought that was OG paint, and who knew that the "extra-special" wood rear bumper was standard equipment in '63? LOL :P

Turbo_g
66 Custom Kombi
justbuggin
Resident Brit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Hmmm, if that was a nice piece of varnished teak on a nice custom resto, I think it would look cool. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

It's a '64 or ealrier,that's for sure... Last year for Flip hatch was '64. So it's earlier than That...Rare little guy, I'd try to save it rather than Part it out...I used to own a '64 flip hatch, MUCH rustier than this one, but I live in Indiana. Wouldn't be a bad one for us Easterner's but hey we take what we can get. Anyways, Good luck figuring out what to do with it, these babies are Rad when they are all fixed up!

James
www.geocities.com/indianavwkid
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Looks salvagable to me...I can attest to the busses from the east and midwest. Got my 21-window in Minnesota (where it spent it's whole life), and although the roof, skyports, nose, etc were all good, I've replaced the lower nose inner and outer, both rockers and the belly pans, along with several sections of crossmembers and completely rebuilding the a-pillars and cargo door lowers...it was funny how much of it was good and clean, given that most of the bottom was rusted away. anyway, it was complete and I got it for $1500.

Hey Bruce, did you buy that '57? If not, please email me directions?
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Didn't buy it; I gave a buddy up here in OR first crack and if he passes on it, I'll email you some photos and send you the owner's phone #.
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

it is a '62 or '63, narrow hatch combined with larger taillights.

Oh ya, almost forgot to let everyone know that this bus obviously had the ultra-rare option #2, which is the complete toilet option. Not many of these made it to the states. Look to the right in the photo. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

63 for sure. Small rear hatch, larger tail lights, lip in fender well and "outie" vents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type877
Samba Haiku Masta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

so fender well lip started in '63? I believe outie vents went until late '63.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Hey Benfalia...sent an email to your hotmail address. The bus is still available and I can send you pics, but if I send 'em thru hotmail, they'll close your account cause the pics are so large. Email me at [email protected] (remove nospam).
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Is this bus worth saving????? Reply with quote

Hey g-turb -- or evo: Did you or anyone get out there to scavange this bus? G_turb, are those holes above the gutter or just dark paint? Are the rockers rotted through?

The only good thing was that this bus has been in the Imperial Valley and hasn't rusted as much as it would have in other locales.

Larry in OB
turbo_g

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to bring an old thread back to life, I did get that 63 Sub-Hatch out of the desert, (see my avatar) and it should be running next weekend. I'm hoping to have it at Familienfest 14 in Vista on the 23rd.

It's been sitting in my garage for 5 years, so time for it to ge t back on the road again!

Sub-Hatch is way cool (SO-33 Westy too!)
SV2s Member #425
turbo_g

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SV2s Member #425
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo-g-

Well done! another survivor!! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: