Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Solar Hot Water Heater (Photos)
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: DIY Solar Hot Water Heater (Photos) Reply with quote

Aloha Sambanista's
Here's a solar water heater I finished. Nice having hot water while wilderness camping. I used 4"PVC pipe that I sanded and painted flat black. It gets pretty hot and holds about 14 gallons of water. It weighs quite a bit so keep that in mind when popping the top up /down. Also fixed a vent tube up top to allow air venting without creating a vacuum. Also can just be used as a water reservior for extended camping trips.
Cheers, Ron

Very Happy ....Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan... Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: hot water Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I love this idea, have rack, now would have something to put in it. Cary more water and if need be to go 4x4 let water out. At times you can't have to much load on the roof. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Ron! I have been contemplating something similar.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 gallons of water is 112lbs,be very careful popping the top if that is full. nice work!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Better than a hanging bag and sort of everyman's version of the Road Shower:

http://www.roadshower.com/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: DIY Solar Water Heater Reply with quote

[quote]14 gallons of water is 112lbs,be very careful popping the top if that is full. nice work.

You're right about that,one idea is that you can use smaller diameter PVC pipe. Less water ...less weight to lift. Last yearwhen I put the racks,cargo carrier and solar panels on I switched to heavy duty 150lb gas struts. It's still a bit of work popping the top though when it's full of water. Cool

Very Happy ..Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan.. Very Happy
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

man, when I was in Maui with my wife/kids 2yrs ago (in a rented Westy) we prasied our little solar shower bag. Feels soooo good to have a warm rinse after being in the salt water.
Cool rinse at the beach with the free showers, then a warm rinse at the van... some tropical breeze and you're set!
Drool

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about doing something similar, but honestly parking in the sunshine in the summer time means living in a really hot van. Thus I'm getting good with gritty. Right now I need a hair cut and a shave, plus my smell might qualify me for full fledge mountain man status.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Stígandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSpT4eMCRK4&feature=g-upl&context=G2ad7911AUAAAAAAAAAA

shower setup video my wife showers in the vanagon
used to be known as ShotMagnet

http://vanagonshenanigans.blogspot.com/ new

http://vanagonshananigans.blogspot.com/ old

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
alembical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

That looks like a EVC as compared to a Weekender. If I am right in that thought, any reason you decided to mount the water on the portion of the roof that pops up, rather than the front luggage rack above the drivers' cabin, which seems able to handle the weight better.

Just curious. We have an EVC too and are interested in this set up, but hesitant about having that much weight on the fragile Winnebago pop tops. If we had a Westie Weekender, we would have much less concerns.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried solar type shower set ups here in Oregon. The only time I ever got warm water was in Maupin when it was already 95 outside. I just don't think that type set-up is efficient enough to heat water in the NW where sunshine is limited and outside temperatures are cooler. There's just too much heat loss and not enough solar gain. You would need an insulated tank and a circulator to heat water through a heat exchanger. Black pipes or bags just don't cut it here.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that but my plastic top (ASI Vanagon) couldn't handle that weight. I'll just have to stick to my solar bag and I can put the van in the shade and the bag in the sun. Bought two nature like shower curtains for the outdoor back hatch! nice idea depending on the climate and sun conditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: