Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hatch Struts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

Was in the FLAPS picking up some of those triple-tip spark plugs and decided to get new hatch struts as mine were needing some help to reach the fully-upright position.

They had the usual 'handed' variety (one strong, one weak) and also a matched pair that claimed to do the job. Those were brand Stabilus, p/n SAC/SG301001 for 21.99 @.

Here's the thing: They have a lifetime guarantee.

Now I seem to have to replace these things about every 8-10 years or so and these are probably not going to be any different, but at least with that guarantee I have paid for them for the last time.

This was at O'Reilly (Checker, Schucks, Kragen) so they have locations everywhere and my prior experience with their lifetime guarantees is that it is a no-hassle immediate swap if something fails.

I'm not saying these are the best hatch struts to use (though they do lift the gate nicely) but if (like me) you expect to keep the van a loooong time a forever guarantee is good thing to have.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

Thanks for this. Just went to oreily's and picked up two of them, $21.99 each, receipt says limited lifetime warranty, says nothing about warranty on the packaging.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

Nope, no Oh Oh Oh OReilly's here in NJ.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Nope, no Oh Oh Oh OReilly's here in NJ.

Looks like they are in 47 states, but no New Jersey:

http://tinyurl.com/ybhk4chm

BTW - Mine failed in January of this year (5 years) and they replaced the pair gratis.

They usually show the first signs of failure in cold weather and with this guarantee they get replaced at that first sign rather than enjoy a few months of ducking, bumping my head or completing the lift by hand.
Finagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

So... since this topic has popped up to the top, my Stabilus hatch struts are pretty stiff. Though they don't push the hatch up, it is a bear to get the hatch back down. I'd guess that a 30-40 pound weight would be enough to pull it down but it is awkward.

Is this normal? The struts do not look old.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

Not normal in my opinion.

I seem to recall that VW used different struts one the left & right, but the ones I am using are identical.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

I replaced mine this past year. I now have to pull and push my hatch closed. Takes more than one hand to do the job.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

I wish the rear hatch edge had the hand hold cup newer hatch backs have.
It would avoid the dirty finger syndrome I commonly get from grabbing the dirty lid and pulling down. (Transmission oil leakage)

It isn't rocket science to add such an thing, just not high on the "to do" list.
Fixing the transmission leak is way higher on that list.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I wish the rear hatch edge had the hand hold cup newer hatch backs have.
It would avoid the dirty finger syndrome I commonly get from grabbing the dirty lid and pulling down. (Transmission oil leakage)

It isn't rocket science to add such an thing, just not high on the "to do" list.
Fixing the transmission leak is way higher on that list.

Dave
I use the Paulchen rack on the hatch as a handle all the time. Its not necessarily clean but it fits the hand nicely!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Finagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Struts Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Not normal in my opinion.

I seem to recall that VW used different struts one the left & right, but the ones I am using are identical.

As are mine. Both struts are Stabilus 291927 but I'll likely be replacing with the high pressure versions from VC.

Thanks!

Also, I just noticed you are from Tucson. My parents live in Saddlebrooke and I visit about once a year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: