Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio sitting at US Customs for 15 days
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Radio sitting at US Customs for 15 days Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this. Please move it if it isn't.

I bought a period correct radio for my 1966 VW Beetle from an individual in the UK and it was shipped on February 18th 2014. As of 02/28/14 the tracking information indicated it was still in the UK but in fact it was sitting at the US Customs location in the US since for 15 days waiting on a $35 fee to be paid. I finally found out this morning what the hold up was and paid the $35 US Customs fee.

I only had 4 more days before the radio would have gone bye-bye. No telling where it would have ended up. What a deal! Things can really get screwed up ordering stuff from across the pond huh?

If you plan on buying anything from somewhere other than in the United States you need to keep track of it because nobody else will.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. It was shipped from England on Feb 18 2014 (2/18/14) and 10 days later (2/28/14) US customs already had it for 15 days? There must be more to the story. Confused I'm glad you able to get your radio though Very Happy
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Customs can be a bitch no matter where or which way things are going.

Last bad experience I had I sent a package overnight via Federal Express to the Isle of Jersey in the UK. It cost me over $400 to send it and was a time sensitive package. It got held up in customs for no given reason and took 3 months to get delivered to the recipient.

That one hurt but there is NOTHING you can do but wait when Customs holds your package for whatever reasons they want.

I knew of a guy here in town who had two Lamborghinis sitting in customs at the port of Baltimore for something like 12 years. I don’t know if he ever got them or what the end of the deal was but I know he had a lot of money invested and the last time I talked to him about it (over 20 years ago) things didn’t look good.

Just be happy you were able to find out what the hold up was and pay the money and hopefully get your stuff!
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Customs can be a bitch no matter where or which way things are going.

Last bad experience I had I sent a package overnight via Federal Express to the Isle of Jersey in the UK. It cost me over $400 to send it and was a time sensitive package. It got held up in customs for no given reason and took 3 months to get delivered to the recipient.

That one hurt but there is NOTHING you can do but wait when Customs holds your package for whatever reasons they want.

I knew of a guy here in town who had two Lamborghinis sitting in customs at the port of Baltimore for something like 12 years. I don’t know if he ever got them or what the end of the deal was but I know he had a lot of money invested and the last time I talked to him about it (over 20 years ago) things didn’t look good.

Just be happy you were able to find out what the hold up was and pay the money and hopefully get your stuff!

I'll just be surprised if it shows up after that ordeal.

Jacks wrote:
I don't get it. It was shipped from England on Feb 18 2014 (2/18/14) and 10 days later (2/28/14) US customs already had it for 15 days? There must be more to the story? I'm glad you able to get your radio though Very Happy

The numbers don't add up huh? The shipping service only counting work days (5 day week). I included weekend days in my count. I was told that US Customs works 7 day a week.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you have to pay a Customs fee?

I have never had to pay any sort of import fee on used parts EVER.
I buy stuff from Europe all the time.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

US Customs is in control when they have your merchandise. I have no idea other than when they randomly pick items or parcels to inspect and mine happen to be the one to get chosen, they charge a fee for their time. Everything that goes through US Customs doesn't get inspected. Therefore there may not be any fees. All I know is I got an email this morning that said if I wanted my package to continue on it way to me, I had to pay a $35 fee.

I'm not in a position to demand an explanation for the fee if I want my radio. Somebody has to pay for it I guess. I've also bought items from Europe without a US Customs inspection.

With the security like it is in the US, I would imagine the US Customs is fairly busy opening packages. You would think a quick X-Ray would have been sufficient.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any chance did you mail the check to a Nigerian bank?
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
By any chance did you mail the check to a Nigerian bank?

Nope! I actually called US Customs.

onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK and the US require Customs paperwork done and packed with the shippment. If it's not with the package you can expect customs at the recipient's end to hold the item until the fees are paid. They typically do not contact the shipper or recipient. Customs can level fines or fees if the paperwork is inaccurate as well. They expect you to know the rules. I ship & recieve out of four US locations as part of my job. We had a clerk ship some valuable items to the UK last year without filling out the paper correctly and it cost us about $6000. in duties and fines.
Matt
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
EverettB wrote:

US Customs is in control when they have your merchandise. I have no idea other than when they randomly pick items or parcels to inspect and mine happen to be the one to get chosen, they charge a fee for their time. Everything that goes through US Customs doesn't get inspected. Therefore there may not be any fees. All I know is I got an email this morning that said if I wanted my package to continue on it way to me, I had to pay a $35 fee.

I'm not in a position to demand an explanation for the fee if I want my radio. Somebody has to pay for it I guess. I've also bought items from Europe without a US Customs inspection.

With the security like it is in the US, I would imagine the US Customs is fairly busy opening packages. You would think a quick X-Ray would have been sufficient.

Ok, I understand, it wasn't an import fee but a bogus inspection fee.

They probably thought a radio looked suspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I import stuff from all over the world and customs may seize your goods for a number of reasons and tax your items accordingly. We avoid getting taxed on many occasions, but trust me, there are very few items that are actually exempt from duty.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed- they just make their own rules and as the importer you have no choice but to cop the fees.

try shipping a car ... here in Australia they just love to give out their $600 car wash special. You can't do nothing about it because they have the car! Then you gotta love when you finally have the car and the suspension is caked in dirt after forking out all that money for 'cleaning'!
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

You've been very fortunate. I've bought various things from Europe myself over the years and this was the first time it has gotten held up for inspection and a US Custom fee.

Last edited by shortride on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canni wrote:
agreed- they just make their own rules and as the importer you have no choice but to cop the fees.

try shipping a car ... here in Australia they just love to give out their $600 car wash special. You can't do nothing about it because they have the car! Then you gotta love when you finally have the car and the suspension is caked in dirt after forking out all that money for 'cleaning'!

They do that at the docks here too.

"Cleaning fee"
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been exporting VW parts to the US since 2003 by FedEx, and the customs clarence in Memphis for my shipments takes 15-25 minutes. Overnight service from Mexico City to the US and Canada means just like that.
All my shipments with customs paperwork done. By the way: to export radio frequency devices to the US, the seller need to fill and attach the US customs form FCC 740.

From my feedback:
hopkin wrote:
What can I say, 23 hours from Antonio's door in Mexico to my door in (Ottawa) Canada. Very Happy Very Happy (FedEx does get some credit, Smile )
As always, a pleasure doing business with Antonio!

VWGirl wrote:
Antonio was recommended to me through the Samba when I first got my mexi... I just recently placed my first order with Antonio and parts arrived the next day very well packaged!

Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canni wrote:

$800 car wash for my '96 Mexi when it arrived in Canada from the the UK, and it was covered in dirt underneath when it arrived at my house. Oh well, thanks to the Auto Pact (between Mexico/US/Canada), no import duty charges on the car Smile
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Canni wrote:

$800 car wash for my '96 Mexi when it arrived in Canada from the the UK, and it was covered in dirt underneath when it arrived at my house. Oh well, thanks to the Auto Pact (between Mexico/US/Canada), no import duty charges on the car Smile

That "cleaning" is more of a fumigation. Its not so much the dirt and crud they are worrying about as much as any critters that may be living on there.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received the radio after 19 business days.

alain riaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I temporarily imported a vanagon from Europe.
The broker asked for $200 plus taxes and three weeks to clear the custom.
I went myself at the custom office in Newark.
Ten minutes plus $125 taxes............plus one hour talking vanagon with a local addict.

(It has been thoroughly cleaned and waxed before shipping)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alain riaud wrote:
I temporarily imported a vanagon from Europe.
The broker asked for $200 plus taxes and three weeks to clear the custom.
I went myself at the custom office in Newark.
Ten minutes plus $125 taxes............plus one hour talking vanagon with a local addict.

(It has been thoroughly cleaned and waxed before shipping)

drscope wrote:
That "cleaning" is more of a fumigation. Its not so much the dirt and crud they are worrying about as much as any critters that may be living on there.

When I shipped mine from Puerto Rico to Floriduh, did it myself too! Only cost me just over $600 altogether! Thought the cleaning had to do with no leaky dirty engines and since mine leaked everywhere like nobody's business, I washed the engine just minutes before driving it into the docks. Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: