Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front seat tube clip metal thickness?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Front seat tube clip metal thickness? Reply with quote

HI all,

I've got to rebuild my front seat, and included in that process is going to be replacing sever broken clips. These are the ones that are on the tubing, which have points that you poke through the seat cover, and hammer over to grab the bottom string/wire.

Yes, I know I could pretty much use any size I want. However, I'm going to be riveting, not welding, so I'd like to use as thin a metal as I can get away with, but still have the strength like the original.

Does anyone know what the actual size of the original metal? I'm assuming it's something betwen 16-20 gauge. However, that's only a guess.

This is on a 1967 Double Cab, which has the 1/3-2/3 front seat.

Thanks!!

Robert
1972 VW Squareback (Autobahn in the Sky - July 1987)
exciter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
I just cut out and welded in about 25 of them last week for a set of double cab seats. I used 18 ga which is pretty close to factory if not spot on? Not real sure but the 18ga worked out great.
Good luck and let us know how it ends up!

419-236-9781
Robertjm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe! I kind of figured it would be about 18g after looking at some stock at the local Orchard Supply Hardware, which had 16g and 22g stuff only.

Robert

exciter wrote:
Robert,
I just cut out and welded in about 25 of them last week for a set of double cab seats. I used 18 ga which is pretty close to factory if not spot on? Not real sure but the 18ga worked out great.
Good luck and let us know how it ends up!

1972 VW Squareback (Autobahn in the Sky - July 1987)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: