Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.5 conversion in CALIFORNIA...?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Subaru 2.5 conversion in CALIFORNIA...? Reply with quote

Before I get slaughtered for asking, I've searched thesamba pretty extensively - also poked around on the Yahoo group, also researched small car and kennedy - I realize that this conversion is seemingly impossible to LEGALLY pull off in California.

With all that said: I want to do it. Laughing

My wishes for this post are to only get feedback on HOW TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I'd rather not hear how I should stay VW or go with the ej22 or an 1.8T...

Have you pulled it off?
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 2.5 conversion in CALIFORNIA...? Reply with quote

KevbOliver wrote:

Have you pulled it off?

No.
I have not.

But it may be possible to do it by the book. Search on DClymers thread on reversing Subaru gears and using the Subie transmission.

I vote that YOU be the guinea pig!
What say the board?

Short of that, a CA 2.5 can only be done on the sly..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaughter him!!!

It depends on where you live in CA, i have seen a few. I think they were from rural areas where they only smog at sale or something like that. Confused
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just buy the kit from kenedy to get the carb sticker and use a 2.5 long block instead of the 2.2?

Or go the franken route with a 2.5 block and 2.2 heads, intake, ecu etc. That way you would be using all the kenedy stuff. small car states they build a carb legal 2.5 (although I doubt it is really carb legal, since the executive order was for a 2.2). Give them a call and ask how they do it.
Disclaimer:
I'm from Washington, so I haven't real experience with this idea or with carb.
skivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Can't you just buy the kit from kenedy to get the carb sticker and use a 2.5 long block instead of the 2.2?

Or go the franken route with a 2.5 block and 2.2 heads, intake, ecu etc. That way you would be using all the kenedy stuff. small car states they build a carb legal 2.5 (although I doubt it is really carb legal, since the executive order was for a 2.2). Give them a call and ask how they do it.
Disclaimer:
I'm from Washington, so I haven't real experience with this idea or with carb.

When I lived in ca I had to do the 2.2. Had I to do it over again I would look more into the Frankenmotor. It will look the same as a 2.2 for carb purposes.

The only legal 2.5 I've seen in ca was originally a diesel and therefore no smog at that time.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking in the classifieds,a few days ago, and seen two 2.5 being sold from Calif. I was thinking WTF?? Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outfront Motorsports claims they can make a 2.5 run off a 2.2 harness. Isn't ODBII the reason we can't use the 2.5? If they can make a 2.5 ODBI, why not?
69 Bug - 1776cc
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a BAR sticker or the KEP EO they would both say EJ22. If the smog tech looks and sees EJ25 there could be issues...
I have had techs check the engine code cast in the block before.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people are running around ca with 2.5s but very few are fully legal. I only know of 1 that went through the referee many years ago. The current letter of the law states that no changes are allowed to the OE exhaust until after the cat(s) period. That means factory manifold and Y pipe. Yeah that fits good on a vanagon. If you can get around that one there are several other challenges as well like getting monitors run without codes etc.

When the 2.2 on my syncro goes out (still runs great so I'm not motivated to pull it out) I'll probably put a 2.5 in but I'm not going to try to get it legal. I just tell the smog guy it's a 2.2. I know where the guys are who don't pay attention or don't really care.

Good luck getting yours through (no sarcasm intended).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderator I have to say this is likely illegal and I am tempted to lock unless it can be shown how to LEGALLY do this.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is looking to do anything illegal. If gone about incorrectly, yes it would be illegal (like claiming the sun is the center of the solar system Laughing ). No the 2.5 is not legal in CA (yet...). Does that mean we can't question it? Can't we look at this thread as what's right, what's wrong, and why? No one is posting a step by step process to commit a crime. I do see a potential problem with hinting at the ole swap-a-roo or list shops that "don't check". The OP just doesn't want to take no for an answer and stated he wants to know "HOW TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN". If he didn't want to try and do it legally, he probably wouldn't have asked at all. Armed with the proper knowledge, maybe he'll rally the troops and start a campaign to make it legal... Likely? No. But hey, things won't change if we don't question them. I mean the earth is flat, right?
69 Bug - 1776cc
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8T OBD2 motors are legal- what are they doing differently?
Fair referees? different stock exhaust used?
I thought there was something about the tranny needing to go with the OBD2 motors?

I would love to figure out a loophole to do this LEGALLY.
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The current letter of the law states that no changes are allowed to the OE exhaust until after the cat(s) period. That means factory manifold and Y pipe. Yeah that fits good on a vanagon. If you can get around that one there are several other challenges as well like getting monitors run without codes etc.

Thanks everybody for the great info! This^ type of info is what i'm looking for... reasons for it being difficult and then finding ways to make it work. There is always a way... hopefully.

My next move is to get the harness and figure out what goes where and what sensors are needed to add to the van, and if its all on a suby, couldn't it all be on a van? (my ignorance showing)

But yeah any other info on what is holding this union back would be awesome.

thanks,
kev
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I would love to figure out a loophole to do this LEGALLY.

x2

That is an interesting point about the 1.8T being legal and ODBII.
69 Bug - 1776cc
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my understanding of how the legal 2.5 works as well. Last year I was interested in buying a hardtop Syncro from Simi Valley. I test drove it and the PO was a Samba member as well. He gave me all the info from the person who did the conversion and I researched it a bit. Here's some info I got from Smallcar;

The engine is an OBD1 2.5 with brand new 2.5 short block. The heads, harness and ecu would be from a 90-94 Legacy 2.2 possibly 95..
It is not a high compression engine, premium fuel not required. 160 hp with 155 lb/ft of torque.

AnmlMthrM60 wrote:
Outfront Motorsports claims they can make a 2.5 run off a 2.2 harness. Isn't ODBII the reason we can't use the 2.5? If they can make a 2.5 ODBI, why not?

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 96-99 ej22 and dohc ej25 harness and ecu are interchangable at least for US market engines. 95 *might* be but I have no experience with that one. Not sure if this helps because I think only 90-94 ej22 are allowed in cali
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface this with I am not as mechanically inclined as most on this forum and really do not completely understand all the details of such a swap but I have a question:

If the new OBDII engines are legal in the orginal vehicles what makes the swap so difficult to get legal in CA? It does not make sense that the older car engines are better at emissions than the newer ones. (before you go there I know, I know-------CA!!!!!)

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'95 rings a bell. Something about them not being required to be OBD2 by law until '96. The early 2.5 motors were the ones with head gasket problems but replacements are supposed to fix it.
I need to do some looking, thanks for jogging the memory.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It take one guy with guts, late 2.5L have way less emission. Now make a sniffer test of both (earlier 2.2 VS late 2.5L) and go fight. Something is dead wrong in CA. As for the illegal part of doing so, p-mail me as we can't make it public (and I agree)
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is legal to have a 2.5 in Cali as long as it is registered in a non-smog county.

Here is an older post about that
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4961993#4961993

and here is the list of non smog counties.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3818726#3818726

afaik, a vehicle must be smogged when first entering california, but not when it moves to a non smog county in Cali.

I dont know why the 1.8T is legal and the 2.5 is not. Ive heard the new CARB rules require the fuel tank sensors from the subaru, to be added to the vanagon fuel tank. Does the 1.8T not have a fuel tank sensor?

And about the stock exhaust requirement from the cat back, for a subaru, how do they get around it with the 1.8T?

Maybe beetsport and vwhead can help guide us, they do legal 1.8t's
I am absolutely not an expert, just my opinions based on what I believe to be true.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: