Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Seals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Door Seals Reply with quote

so i just figured out recently just how bad my door seals are.....so i am planning on to get a DIY thread with pictures if i can afford the seals anytime soon. (month or so out...Sad )

so far, i found this:
https://shop.westcoastmetric.com/viewProduct.php?productID=211-042

and i was wondering if anyone had any past experience with these guys, and dows it include BOTH front doors?

also, ill be posting links as i go along....please feel free to add anything you know or suggest about door seals, or anything thats related and helpful....Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211845300A

doesnt include front door seals, but has window seals to....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of threads on doing seals already... Buy German. My Brazilian door seals work fine but many other people complain about them.

I've always found WW to be an excellent supplier. BD and BB too. Never done WCM. Once again though; there's tons of posts on this already.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only buy German at all cost. THe only way. I bought German from Westcoast Meteric and Busdepot. Talk to Raul at WW if you call them. I had to go threw both vendors to get what i wanted for my bus. Matt at Busdepot is very helpful as well. Call to get right parts. Make sure its German. Most German seals look almost grey but its just a powder residue from manufacturing.
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone says to buy german and not brazilian... BUT... what about made in the USA?

http://www.vw-wagenwerks.com/servlet/the-9813/SEAL--dsh--Rear-Hatch/Detail
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also recall that Mid-America Motoworks bought OEVeeDub and their seal offerings, and they were of good German quality.

I wonder, do all the German seals ultimately come from the same source? Seems that they just have to...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x4 in the buy German. I wrecked myself buying seals twice for my 72 SB. The German stuff (and the stuff from OEVW) JUST FIT. WCM? Not so much. Generic BR? Not even funny.
Big Bad John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished changing the doors on my 76. I did a post on one of my RV sites.

Lots of hard earned knowledge here. Take a look.

BBJ

http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAmericaForums/...fault.aspx
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather you're looking for a whole door seal kit (all of the seals on the door), not just the seal around the door. Some of those seals can be found in German, some not. (Also some retailers will claim or imply that their seals are German when they're not. Buyer beware. Words like "German quality" or "OE quality" mean nothing.) Among the non-German seals, the OE Volkswagen/Brazil ones are much better than the aftermarket ones.

You can find a diagram of the door seals at the top of this page:
http://www.busdepot.com/details/busrubber.jsp

Scroll down lower (below item # 20) and you'll see that we package them in two kits. One includes German door seals (the seal around the door itself, that is), the other includes genuine VW/Brazil ones instead. Yes, there is a noticeable difference. The German ones are fully molded at all corners and fit better, although they are more expensive. The rest of the kit is the same, which is to say it contains the best quality seals that are available at the present time, giving first choice to German, second choice to genuine/OE VW/Brazil, last choice to aftermarket when other options aren't available. You can't go wrong with this kit. You can spend more but you won't get better quality. I would recommend paying the extra for the German door seals if you can swing it. (No pun intended Smile).

Last edited by Busdepot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajackson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to Stuartzickefoose I to live in the great northwest which gets it's fair share of wet weather (check NOAA right now). Today coming home from work I had a nice pond in my cockpit. Now I know that most of the water is coming in through my windshield seal, but I also noticed that there is water dripping in through the drivers door. I have the door panels off, doing some other work.

My question is are there common door seals that fail and allow water to get inside the door? The water seemed to be dripping from where the main window seal and the vent window seal meet.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajackson wrote:
Similar to Stuartzickefoose I to live in the great northwest which gets it's fair share of wet weather (check NOAA right now). Today coming home from work I had a nice pond in my cockpit. Now I know that most of the water is coming in through my windshield seal, but I also noticed that there is water dripping in through the drivers door. I have the door panels off, doing some other work.

My question is are there common door seals that fail and allow water to get inside the door? The water seemed to be dripping from where the main window seal and the vent window seal meet.

your missing your vapor barrier i bet. Search Vapor barrier. Colin did great write up on it. You want the added flap to prevent the water in the door leaking into cab area.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i overstated what i am planning on doing...i am only doing the body to door seals, for wind purposes, as mine are shrunken, not disassembling the door to do all the windows and such...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ... then here's what you want. These are all OEM German, unlike the West Coast Metric kit:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211843792B Sliding door seal
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211829193E Rear hatch seal
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211827711COE Engine lid seal
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211831721DG Left front door seal
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211831722DG Right front door seal

You can save $80/pair by going with our OE VW/Brazil front door seals instead, but be advised that while they are the best of all the non-German front door seals, they are still markedly inferior to the German ones.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ron for posting a German door Seal list. Should be very helpful for those of us that are a bit search handicapped.

FYI guys the above list of door seals are the seals to buy if you want to do the job once and have it fit right.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. You can also go to our Bus Rubber diagram page:
http://busdepot.com/details/busrubber.jsp
It lists most of the rubber for a Bus and indicates which are genuine, German, etc. all on one page. (When I say "most of the rubber," there are minor bits such as seals for lenses, etc. that aren't on that page, but the major stuff is.) Often both German and non-German are listed so you can see your options and compare costs. If we only list a German option it's generally because it's the only one we recommend (either because the non-German one doesn't meet our quality standards, or it's not significantly cheaper than the German one). If we don't list a German one at all, it's generally because it's no longer available so we are listing the best quality one that is.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just need to find door seals for the rear doors on a 1978 crew cab. I actually need both left and right, as this is becoming a four-door crew cab.

I've not found anything, anywhere, except a splitty crew cab seal from West Coast Metric.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: