Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Frankenmotor
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakelee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Hi all:
I'm in California. I have a 2.2L and would like to do the Frankenmotor conversion. So I found a 2.5L motor with 50k miles on it.

Will I need a new small car engine mount for the 2.5L? Just want to confirm before I order it. Thanks all.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Its plug and play. Use the motor mount you have. I would just go with the 2.5
jakelee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks!

Would love to go with the full 2.5, but it's illegal in California.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Following. Let us know how it goes. I think there are specific year combinations that you are looking for. You might want to update yours heads to non hydraulic for example.
jakelee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Non-hydraulic heads??? Ok, I'll check it out.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

From what I've read, the '99 25D has the phase 2 case (the crank journals are bigger) and squared dish piston tops. There are specific Cometic head gaskets that will dial your compression in to optimum for what you are looking at. Using stock 2.2 heads, the previously Dual-Overhead cam to your newly built engine that is again non-interference!!! Its my ambition too. Just waiting for my chance Smile

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141903-cometic-frankenmotor-gasket/
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

I don't understand why people make such a huge deal out of the non-interference aspect.

Maintain your shit and use genuine Subaru timing components and it'll never be an issue.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

I think that question is easily explained by the following:

Shit Happens

You don't know if the belt you bought new is actually going to go as far as the test batch indicated at the manufacturer's lab. You might have confidence, but do you have an easily replaced belt if it breaks on a non-interference engine, or do you have a minimum of two head jobs and however many new valves to replace the bent/broken ones? Maybe a good hole in a piston would do for you, too then?

Just wondering why anyone thought up an interference design, seems more like a ploy to get more sales. You don't really know what you are getting, anyway. I'd like to interject that where these things are designed, it really doesn't matter, since nobody keeps a car anywhere near 80K miles. Costs too much to keep old cars there. Mind-set in clear view on this issue. Car manufacturers do the following: make cars to sell. Hint hint.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Yes I think after 97 they went to manual adjustment for the valves. Better efficiency.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Shit Happens

Sensors, coils and distributors can fail too. Should we get rid of those and go back to crank-driven magnetos just in case shit happens?

Shit can always happen, but if you maintain your shit and don't cheap out when maintaining your shit, the odds of shit happening decrease dramatically. Don't use the knockoff Chinesium timing belt kit from Fleabay or try to get another 5000 miles out of the one that should have already been replaced 10000 miles ago...
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

2.5L is legal in California? I thought only 2.2 was?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

AFAIK only 2.2 in legal here, although there are area's in cali that don't require smog, if you are lucky enough to live in one, then you could stick an audi v8 in the back

lucianosanchez wrote:

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

lucianosanchez wrote:

2.5 isn't legal, but people have had good luck sneaking them under the radar with 2.2 heads & induction/injection setups.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

Sensors, coils and distributors can fail too. Should we get rid of those and go back to crank-driven magnetos just in case shit happens?

Well, to break this thought down a bit, take a look at what is most reliable. Magnetos? Sure, how about 2? Seems like the aircraft industry requiring dual magnetos should tell other folks who are ACTUALLY interested in reliability something? Coil, dizzy? sure, I agree, shit happens. but a coil doesn't poke a hole in the piston. I would certainly rather have to replace a coil (not that the Subi has these), but oh well, I'd replace them.

tristessa wrote:
Shit can always happen, but if you maintain your shit and don't cheap out when maintaining your shit, the odds of shit happening decrease dramatically. Don't use the knockoff Chinesium timing belt kit from Fleabay or try to get another 5000 miles out of the one that should have already been replaced 10000 miles ago...

I also agree on your point here, quality parts dramatically reduce the number of failures. On the other hand, try telling that to the person who bought the best stuff they could find and still had that belt fail? Its only statistics after all, and the person who has a failure that is one in a million is just as hurt as the guy who was the one in a thousand person. I believe that odds being better is different than eliminating the chances.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Wonder what the difference in transmission life is as you go from a 2.2 Subi to a 2.5?

I have owned VW's for more than 40 years and have had plenty enough transmission failures from broken parts and failing bearings with stock or nearly stock engines. I can't imagine upping the torque by 50% and expecting the box to stay together anywhere near as long.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Wonder what the difference in transmission life is as you go from a 2.2 Subi to a 2.5?

I have owned VW's for more than 40 years and have had plenty enough transmission failures from broken parts and failing bearings with stock or nearly stock engines. I can't imagine upping the torque by 50% and expecting the box to stay together anywhere near as long.

This^^^
Living in California, I'm also planning to upgrade to a frankenmotor at some point in the near future.

My 8 year old rebuilt trans is already making some noises, and all I can think of is that my EJ22 has more power/torque than the trans was designed for.

That's why I'm also planning to go the SubaruGears route and install a Subaru 5 speed before the frankenmotor goes in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Shit Happens

Exactly. I'm not going back to a side valve engine anytime soon - or carburetors, either!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
From what I've read, the '99 25D has the phase 2 case (the crank journals are bigger) and squared dish piston tops. There are specific Cometic head gaskets that will dial your compression in to optimum for what you are looking at. Using stock 2.2 heads, the previously Dual-Overhead cam to your newly built engine that is again non-interference!!! Its my ambition too. Just waiting for my chance Smile

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141903-cometic-frankenmotor-gasket/

I read this a while ago and meant to write something but forgot... all of this is correct except for the part about the engine being non interference. The pistons on 2.5s actually stick out past the deck, so you will definitely have interference if the timing is off or the belt breaks.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
all of this is correct except for the part about the engine being non interference. The pistons on 2.5s actually stick out past the deck, so you will definitely have interference if the timing is off or the belt breaks.

Oy Vey, really?!?!? My hopes and dreams dashed!

On the other hand, I guess I better chat up Cometic on the phone. Seems as if the more I found out on those head gaskets, the more I felt they had a handle on what each bit they sell does. From what I had been investigating, the super thick ones made to mate the 2.2 heads to the specific EJ25D '99 block gives two things: proper compression and clearance of the valves.

Now, there is probably another reason you are correct in saying that this would not be non-interference:

Just because the pistons don't touch the valves does not necessarily mean it is non-interference. I am still trying to wrap my head around that notion tho.
bbaythav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Frankenmotor Reply with quote

Frankenmotor experts,

I found a 2015 2.5L suby with 20k miles on it. I have a 1997 2.2L suby now. Will this 2015 2.5L block work for this Frankenmotor setup or will I need an older 2.5 block?

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: