Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New Lightweight Utility Trailer for Bikes and Kayaks
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stayleft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: My New Lightweight Utility Trailer for Bikes and Kayaks Reply with quote

I picked this up locally on sale for $599. It's a mesh floor 5 x 8 steel utility trailer (Big Tex brand) that weighs in at 380 lbs. I added a Malone Top Tier kayak rack specifically made for small utility trailers. My top bars on the trailer are round tube (better) instead of L Channel, so I had to modify the install a bit and buy some additional hardware. Malone doesn't mention that L Channel top rail is a prerequisite in the ad for the Top Tier. They wait until you read the assembly instructions. No worries, it's doable with the round tube.

I plan to hang two smaller kayaks on the sides of the Top Tier (it's rated at 250 lbs capacity) and I have some wheel chocks on the way for 4 bicycles to ride on the bed of the trailer. So 4 bikes and 4 kayaks is the goal. All loaded up with bikes, kayaks and related should still keep me under 700 lbs. I have a 1.8 Turbo and this will be for local recreation jaunts, so I think all is good.

Burley Heavy Duty Hitch and Euro trailer lighting kit purchased on The Samba also part of this project.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I've been wanting to do the same thing. I haul kayaks on top, but it's a pain to get them on and off for local trips when I wouldn't mind pulling a trailer. I'd like to find one without the gate, but with side panels so that I could also use it to haul mulch, etc., once in a while. As my kayaks are about 17 feet, I might also have to extend the tongue.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup

Don't fault your kayak rack supplier. Angle iron is the standard in short wall (landscape style) trailers like yours... The use of round tube is pretty obscure.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
stayleft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at quite a few types of small utility trailers. Under 400 lbs was my first requirement. If you prefer sidewall and want to stay under 400 lbs, aluminum is the only option. Pricing is around $2000 for 5 x 8 aluminum trailers. The brand Aluma was one of the nicer ones for the money. I decided steel for $600.
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about wooden panel sides, so they shouldn't add too much weight, but I do like those aluminum trailers. It would be great to find a used one, but you'd probably have to check Craigslist three times a day for months . . .
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about wooden panel sides, so they shouldn't add too much weight, but I do like those aluminum trailers. It would be great to find a used one, but you'd probably have to check Craigslist three times a day for months . . .

Are you near any larger lakes or the ocean?
Check the small boat yards in local marinas.
Literally hundreds of long tongue trailers laying around.. often for sale at dirt cheap prices/free. Service bearings and replace lights with LEDs and you're good to go.
Then bolt up or fab what ever boxes/racks you want.
My ancient Highlander trailer from a 70s vintage Hobie 16 Cat.. hauls fine.
And 18' wood sea kayak sits on it nicely.. although it needs a red flag off back to keep cell phone yackin, latte sippin Cayenne drivers from splintering it.

Stayleft,
Nice set up. Inspiring.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Nice setup

Don't fault your kayak rack supplier. Angle iron is the standard in short wall (landscape style) trailers like yours... The use of round tube is pretty obscure.

Uh, mine has round tubing as well.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. When I was considering a similar trailer, I was planning to chop the gate down to be the same height as the sides and front. Another modification would be to extend the tongue (for improved visibility and tighter cornering). Obviously both of these mods require metal work.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a picture before but here is my trailer that I purchased
used locally. I plan to put a set of racks on top for bikes/kayaks. I
like that its lockable and stays dry inside. It's perfect size for a
Westy. I plan to replace the wood on the floor and put something
on top of it that keeps it cleaner and neater looking. I am
going to try and match the stock flooring in my Westy. Once that's
done a respray to match my van inside and out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stayleft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: 4 bikes and 4 kayaks loaded successfully Reply with quote

So this was the main goal for this trailer. Getting all 4 bikes and all 4 kayaks on one relatively easy transport platform. Granted, two of the kayaks are smaller (8') and two of the bikes are kid sized. My bike is an almost 8' long recumbent, and my wife's is a beach cruiser type with high handlebars. I'm fairly certain I could get 4 adult bikes on if needed. Kayaks are all strapped on, bikes are just resting in place to prove the point.

I found some inexpensive bicycle wheel chocks with straps designed for mesh floor trailers. They haven't arrived yet, but I'm now thinking I don't even need them. I will be able to strap the bikes down with the existing rails and tie downs on the trailer. I'd like to keep any bolted down accessories off the floor of the trailer anyway.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on! I'm sure the kiddo's would've been happy with another ipad or ds game. What's up with all this outdoorsy crap when there's a perfectly good tv and a/c in the house.

Your ruining those yougun's you is.

Smile

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: