Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kamper Kit Camper!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Anybody out there have any info on Kamper Kits out of Campbell Ca. I have seen one other of these campers!!! I think I have asked this question before,,,Here is mine https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/98820.jpg It has a magazine rack on the back wall with KK cut into it!!! The layout and fittings are the same as a sundial....Jay
Nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

I just checked out the photo. . . NICE Kamper!!!! You should feel guilty for stealing it! Wink Great find!!!! :)

Nate
http://www.nateswaterart.com/vw/ (currently down, but NOT out!)
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Jay,
Have I told you lately that I hate you?
GREAT FIND!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

a friend of mine has a kk kamper and he said that the kit was something people bought out of jc whitney catalogs ill ask if he has literature or not he collects us campmobile brochures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

follow the link from this picture to see all the pics of my Kamper on the Samba https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/99799.jpg I posted a few today!!!!!! Jay
Nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Yep, like I said, you STOLE it!! ;-)

Nate
http://www.nateswatrart.com/vw/ (currently down, but NOT out Wink )
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Yeah, Jay...that's an awesome camper! Love the pictures of it. Now, if I thought that Riviera campers were rare and finding literature and history on them was tough...The Kamper Kit is like hen's teeth!! I live just a stone's throw from Campbell and would be happy to track down the company or their old building if you have an address for them.

-Taylor
1967 Riviera
http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/volks
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

That Jay..........he is a strange boy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KamperKitJay
BDM Hit Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Hey thanks everybody for the interest in finding a little history on this bus. When I first got the bus I had no idea what the KK stood for. I thought I was going to have to drive around with a white hood on or something. Ha Ha just kidding. I had a few guesses like kustom kampers or something like that. A few years back I went to kelly park and there was a guy there with a pretty rough Kamper Kit. His was a 1967 and had a little plaque on one of the cabinets that just said Kamper Kits, Campbell Ca. Thats how I found out what the name of the kit was and where it was from!!! So far his is the only other KK camper I have seen. Recently I have found it written on the wood inside one of the seats in my bus. I have searched high and low on the internet for any info on these campers, and like Taylor Riviera said "their like hens teeth", and I am beginning to believe that!!. It would be interesting to find out if there are any others out there and what years they were produced. Wow, does this mean that I have some super rare camper????........Jay P.S. oh hey taylor, I don't have an address or anything for Kamper Kits. You know as much as I do about this bus!!!
veeco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

KamperKitJay wrote:
Hey thanks everybody for the interest in finding a little history on this bus. When I first got the bus I had no idea what the KK stood for. I thought I was going to have to drive around with a white hood on or something. Ha Ha just kidding. I had a few guesses like kustom kampers or something like that. A few years back I went to kelly park and there was a guy there with a pretty rough Kamper Kit. His was a 1967 and had a little plaque on one of the cabinets that just said Kamper Kits, Campbell Ca. Thats how I found out what the name of the kit was and where it was from!!! So far his is the only other KK camper I have seen. Recently I have found it written on the wood inside one of the seats in my bus. I have searched high and low on the internet for any info on these campers, and like Taylor Riviera said "their like hens teeth", and I am beginning to believe that!!. It would be interesting to find out if there are any others out there and what years they were produced. Wow, does this mean that I have some super rare camper????........Jay P.S. oh hey taylor, I don't have an address or anything for Kamper Kits. You know as much as I do about this bus!!!

I know this is an old thread, but I found an address inside my bus while I was removing the interior:

Kamper Kits
166 Kennedy Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008

My bus is a 62, and it has the magazine rack in the same place as in your pictures, but without the KK cutout, and it also has a long window on the driver side, Riviera style. Aside from that, the layout inside looks the same.
Lost_Camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I google map'd it and it looks like there's still a business there...probably not Kamper Kit, though.
edz280zx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my friend Linda has a 67 Kamper Kit...you be the judge...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has the same type of fold down bed/bench as is in the Camper i.d. thread.
Buggirl1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Has anyone else got any more information on these rare conversions?
fotoroadie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Buggirl1979 wrote:

Here's my '65 Kamper Kit Kombi.

Mine came into SF & then to Campbell CA for retrofit by Kamper Kit.

Have spent time with Al Lowder whose family ran this business.

I was very fortunate that all components came with the Bus when I found it. Only had to make a few wood panels due to water damage.

For sure rare, only other complete one I've seen was in France.

Bobby

Buggirl1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

fotoroadie wrote:
Buggirl1979 wrote:

Here's my '65 Kamper Kit Kombi.

Mine came into SF & then to Campbell CA for retrofit by Kamper Kit.

Have spent time with Al Lowder whose family ran this business.

I was very fortunate that all components came with the Bus when I found it. Only had to make a few wood panels due to water damage.

For sure rare, only other complete one I've seen was in France.

Bobby

Thanks so much for your reply. I have emailed Lowrider for more info too. You have a beautiful bus! I have a 1964 KK and it was imported here to the UK in 2016. It is complete but a fair bit of water damage on the rear cupboard and the magazine rack was a bit damaged but have all the pieces and cooler/tap etc. I am so excited to see that there are others out there. I will drop you a PM if ok? Going to need some help with measurements of the damaged panels if ok with you?
Buggirl1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Just wondering how many of these conversations there are out there? Shall we have a roll call?

Mine is a Dove Blue 1964 converted panel van
Oregonbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Im looking to build a Westy camper in my 1967, Are there any schematics/ measurements online for a complete camper interior seats, tables, closet, cabinets, spice rack etc... any help will be greatly appreciated - I want to do the build myself and not buy a kit. Here is a picture of my 67 and a couple camper examples as to the plans Im looking for

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

You starting point bus looks really solid.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

Oregonbusguy wrote:
Im looking to build a Westy camper in my 1967, Are there any schematics/ measurements online for a complete camper interior seats, tables, closet, cabinets, spice rack etc... any help will be greatly appreciated

Have a look here......https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704132&highlight=
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamper Kit Camper!!! Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Oregonbusguy wrote:
Im looking to build a Westy camper in my 1967, Are there any schematics/ measurements online for a complete camper interior seats, tables, closet, cabinets, spice rack etc... any help will be greatly appreciated

Have a look here......https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704132&highlight=

That's a great thread for what you are looking to build. Page 3 has the detailed drawings. I used those drawings to cut out the cargo door panels, the drivers "long side" panel and the rear hatch panel. Dimensions were spot on for my 66.

Good Luck have fun!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: