Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Shower Install - GPM Pump Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same questions.. and then it comes to heat range.. where i'm getting heat from, heat dissipation in the lines...

http://www.showerheadstore.com/low-flow.html

That store has alot of great ideas.

Then, I got to thinking about these gizmos found when I was researching Biofuel..

I found these 1/4 and 1/2 GPM spray nozzles used for washing.. I got to thinking I could use these for the shower.

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/washingsupplies.php#foggit

It isnt the most glorious looking, is Brass.. wont rust.. and low GPM, not what you'd typically use.. but super efficient.. you're only wanting to get wet, and this sucker covers a good area/fogging right?

I want to order this up, put it on a hose.. and test it out.

Temperature comes to mind.. I have a sprayer/fogger in my shower at home, but to get comfortable.. I have to turn it all the way HOT.

The aerating action of the nozzle cools the temp of the water quite considerably.. but its not horrible..

I'd just picked up a Miller MIG and spoolgun to do Alum or SS.. and have in mind a design for either an Aluminum or Stainless Steel heater core type deal.. which will sit atop of the RV cooktop on my kitchenette, or lay down in a firepit.. and provide me with hot water.. So.. kinda like a Zodi.

Last edited by dubbified on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Excellent info. Just what I was looking for.

splitsnrovers... nice write up. I have actually been studying your set up. I can't seem to find the GPM for that Proven pump though.

Joseph... what type of shower head are you using?

Sounds like a 1 GPM pump might be plenty.

Thanks

Scott
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the GPM, but for my take on your project check out
www.griffco.ca/interest and look for the Westfalia link. I think the pump model is mentioned there.

We (particularly the Mrs.) loves this feature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: shower head Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus WE have a 1 GPM pump, seems good and at times I could use even less to save water. WE can take a shower with 1 min. of water , we just turn it on and off. PS we only have a 5 gal. tank. But I cary 5 gal. on the rear rack. When we want to soak we hit a campground. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: RV Shower Reply with quote

I believe the standard flow rate from what I'm reading in RVs is about 2.5 GPM. I'd like to reduce this rate even further to conserve on water due to the small 13 gallon tank in the Westfalia.

The pump I'm looking at is 1 GPM but I just don't know how much spray I'll get out of the shower head.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very familiar with shower pumps, RV stuff, etc. However, as a frame of reference, a typical household garden hose is about 5GPM. That seems a bit harsh for a shower IMO. I want to say my household shower head restricts flow to 3GPM or maybe a bit less but my memory is foggy on that.
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Hot Shower Install - GPM Pump Question Reply with quote

I find the only thing I miss when road tripping is a quick hot shower after windsurfing or kiting all day so I'm going to install a heat exchanger in my 13 gallon water tank tapped off my under seat heater hoses.

My question is does anyone have experience with showering under different GPM rated pumps? I'm looking at the Shurflo Marine pump at a rating of 1 GPM but I'm not sure if 1 GPM would be enough flow for a RV showerhead.

My goal is to balance water usage with enough flow to comfortably wash off.

Any input would be appreciated... other than "just use a solar shower" or "just use baby wipes". Laughing

Thanks

Scott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: