Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early Vanagon caliper replacement woes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZanaEvyPapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: early Vanagon caliper replacement woes Reply with quote

I bought 2 rebuilt "Girling" calipers online. When they arrived, one was Girling and the other was ATE. At first, I threw a fit, but then I realized that they are essentially the same so I went ahead and bolted them on. They both came with the same hardware kit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

which is different than what came off my old Girling calipers:

I freaked again and then thought I would give them a try. They fit, but something didn't feel right. They didn't feel like they belonged.
So, I went to the Bentley manual and opened a can of worms. First, I see a noise dampening plate(shim) is needed which I can't find anywhere and was not on the brakes I took off.
Also, everywhere I look for brake hardware kits, the square spring spreaders are listed for the Girling calipers only and the ATE have the cross-type listed, eventhough they are both physically the same. Also, the ATE kit has pins with circlips and the Girling kits has retaining pins with cotter pins.

So, my questions are:
Are the spreaders interchangeable between ATE and Girling calipers?
Are the retaining pins interchangeable between ATE and Girling calipers?
Do I need the noise dampening plates/shims?

Thanks all
ZanaEvyPapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, I'm starting to figure this out, so I thought I'd post for others. The cross-type springs/spreaders that are supposed to fit the ATE brakes fit perfectly:

You can see how the tabs that touch right above the piston have plenty of caliper backing to support the spring.
The cross-type on the Girling is most definitely wrong:

Here you can see how the Girling has less backing and the tab on the spreader is halfway sticking up out of the caliper. It's a subtle difference. I'll show the correct spreader when it shows in the mail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: