Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CB dual 34mm Solex's Vs. o.g. VW 34mm Solex's
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: New CB dual 34mm Solex's Vs. o.g. VW 34mm Solex's Reply with quote

A friend of mine is in the market for a mild street carb for his '63 bus and I think that the 34mm electric choke solex's similar to the pair on my dad's 914 would be an excellent choice. CB and ACN has brand new carbs that look identical so my question is, are they as good as the original solex's? The kit is only $300 which seems like a great deal, maybe too good. Does anyone have any experience with the quality? This will be going on a mild 1776 with stock valved heads and a CB cheater cam.
aryue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the kits at ACN were Scat 35's, which have taller intake manifolds and larger venturis instaledl versus the CB 34's.

The CB 34's are 32-34 PDSI Solex/Brosols. Best to triple check that they don't come with 25mm venturi - which would be a bit spartan for a 1776.

ACN is selling the 35 PDSIT's and are better suited for a 1776cc engine.

Read about the differences here:

http://www.carburetorclinic.com/dual1bbl.html

- Andrew in Austin, TX -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadrons. Blue Bus
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we carry both 34 PDSITs and 35 PDSITs. There are several differences, but the 34s have PUNY venturis, 24-25mm if I recall, they are not suitable for anything larger than 1400cc. I feel they need upgraded venturis to be used PROPERLY on a 1500c or larger engine. If you are getting 34PDSITs you must budget $60 for venturis and jets to get them to a point where they'll "work", which they do not out of the box.

This is not the case with the 35 PDSITs, which have a 27mm venturi, which is fine for mild engines. We have a 30mm for sportier ones.

Regardless, both carb sets have problems that must be fixed prior to using them, it's very rare that a set are in "ready to run" condition when we go through them. They usually have several "issues".

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome info guys. So it looks like ACN's 35mm PDSIT is the way to go. Although those kadrons look interesting too. Confused

John, can you point me to any more info so we can anticipate the specific "issues" that we will encounter with the 35's? I see that you guys will set them up for $50 bucks which seems like a good deal. Beyond that is there anything that I should know to keep this as simple as possible?
(You can't beat ACN's customer service, within an hour and a half John is on site giving me the low down...)

Quote:
http://www.carburetorclinic.com/dual1bbl.html

This looks like a great site for the info I am after. Thanks again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they like 2psi fuel pressure, so a regulator is wise. There are different air filters if you are using in a ghia.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: