Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head gaskets, tears and an open can of worms.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Head gaskets, tears and an open can of worms. Reply with quote

I've been a full time professional VW tech for almost 26years, 14 of which in my own shop. I've seen every combination of engine swap in Vanagons, including Subaru. I've got to say that I would NEVER repeat NEVER substitute a good working/ service-able or repairable 2.1 boxer engine for any Subaru engine. I've seen far more Subaru head gaskets turn a perfectly good Westfalia into an It'll-falia for sure, 2.1 heads leak, I agree but rarely do they catastrophically fail like the 2.5 Subaru. Another perfectly good Westy vacation ruined by a well meaning Subaru swap. Maybe it's it my Northern climate...Just my observations. Thanks for letting me rant.
Jeff
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a professional mechanic but have been working on my van for 15 years. I have done a few Subaru swaps.
In your post you include all Subaru engines not just the ones that had obvious inferior head gasket problems. This is the part that I have to disagree with.
I would say if you compared any 90 to 94 Subie 2.2's (including working cars as well as swaps) with high mileage your comparison would fall flat on it face. The 2.1 would not even come close. Yes there are some high mileage 2.1's out there that don't have head gaskets problems but all one has to do is read this list and listen to the other mechanics on it to know it's very very few. I have not heard of any 2.2 Subies with that same problem that was not caused by overheating brought on by not getting the cooling system right after doing the swap.
If you want to addess the problems with the 2.5 Subie engine then please go ahead but to lump them all together as inferior just weakens your argument

Merv
90 Carat Westfakia
98 Subie 2.2
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the 2.5s either.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a "Desecration of Classic and Untouchable VW's" forum.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want to addess the problems with the 2.5 Subie engine then please go ahead but to lump them all together as inferior just weakens your argument

Merv
90 Carat Westfakia
98 Subie 2.2

Your absolutely correct Merv, I should have not lumped the 2.5s in with the rest of the Subaru, just 2.5s seem to be the most popular here...
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Quote:

Merv
90 Carat Westfakia
98 Subie 2.2

Your absolutely correct Merv, I should have not lumped the 2.5s in with the rest of the Subaru, just 2.5s seem to be the most popular here...

Like any convesion, you have to prep the engine. In the case of the 2.5 you need to replace the head gaskets with the good ones BEFORE you put it in. It is just part of the PM you do ahead of time.

Nothing is perfect. Go do the gaskets, quick, quick and get over it and go have fun.

Sorry for your problems.....I hope you do not have my Small Car clutch problem....still waiting for parts to fix that and I have a trip in the beginning of April. We may be driving that POS Routan......

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: SOHC or DOHC Reply with quote

I understand the DOHC 2.5's have a lot of head gasket issues but not so much with the SOHC. That is why so many people use them in homebuilt airplane applications. If it's good enough to put in an airplane, it's good enough to go in my Westfalia.

Dropping my Westy off to Chris at Metric Motors next month for one of his rebuilt 185HP 2.5 conversions. Laughing

Jeff, if you are interested I have two 2.1, one 1.9 complete, and a good running 2.1 currently in my van with AMC heads along with a ton of parts I'm selling. Let me know.

Scott
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: