Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Bar or Roo-Bar or None...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer, Hurst Bumper or the Roo-Bar and why?
Hurst Bar
33%
 33%  [ 35 ]
Roo-Bar
25%
 25%  [ 26 ]
None
40%
 40%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 103

minispdrcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Hurst Bar or Roo-Bar or None... Reply with quote

Just curious which you guys prefer.

Build quality
Looks
Etc...

Just interested in the outcome as I have not seen many of the Hurst ones, but have seen the Roo-Bars.

Hurst
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Roo-Bar

PS...if the owners of the pics do not want me to use them please let me know and I will change them, just chose some at random I found.

1969 Westfalia Weekender Edition
1973 Morris Mini 1300 Super
1998 Audi A6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Hondaslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurst bar looks to be the more "substantial" of the two. The roo bar looks like it would offer zero protection, the the Hurst bar would be questionable at best.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
MOX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niether bar suits the bus in my opinion....i also don't think either would protect the nose of you bus from damage in the even of an accident.
69hnk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: upper cot Reply with quote

Ned-unable to send a pm until monday but thanks on the upper cot. Interested. Let me know how you wanna handle shipping. Please include all the mount screws if you have em. thanks! HS
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: upper cot Reply with quote

69hnk wrote:
Ned-unable to send a pm until monday but thanks on the upper cot. Interested. Let me know how you wanna handle shipping. Please include all the mount screws if you have em. thanks! HS

Talk about a shameless hack on a thread. Rolling Eyes

I voted Hurst style. I just like the look, albeit original Hurst's were never made for Bay windows that I know of. As far as protection....it's anybody's guess depending on what you hit and how fast.
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple policy:

Does it make the vehicle safer?

No. Considering anything likely to wreck my bus with me in it isn't going to be stopped (or even slowed down a little) by some bent tubing...I see it as decorative. Its as daft as the idea that a spare on the front of your Bus makes it 'safer'. No.

So decorative? Have fun. I'm looking for ways to lighten my bus that don't compromise the body integrity.

Bull bars are something completely different. Especially the ones which would cause the bus to 'ride up' the other vehicle so the impact centers on the bumper. That has a practical application.

M
bajafreaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think they both look like crap, thats just me, you wanted opinions, I dont like the spare tire on the front either...keep it stock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I said this elsewhere. Roo bars on a VW will not offer you protection in a 'hard' crash. in fact they can leave you paralyzed, and amputee or dead.

As the name implies they are for protection in 'soft' crashes. I'd consider the roo bar in the second pic mostly for decoration and holding a spare. The Hurst one is too low to really do much. It also has obvious weaknesses which would cause it to fold depending on impact point and direction.

If you are going to be hitting roos / Honda owners / whatever regularly, hand in your keys. Otherwise yes the bars do help but remember it's pretty much a one hit thing. The kinetic energy has to go somewhere. They will get bent / broken to a degree and need to be repaired / replaced. The heavier ones like the ones made by ARB, who are the accepted go-to manufacturer of vehicle add-ons still are capable of sustaining damage but can take a lot before failing. Remember the trouble with really solid ones again is kinetic energy. If they hold up, the force is transmitted to the bus' frame.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Roo Bars I see remind me of this:

The Hurst style reminds me of this:

How do you want me to see you since for the most part it is added bling. Unless you have a Roo bar with tires and jerry cans hanging all over it. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the red bus is mine. Use the pic all you want. I put the Roo on for looks only, and think it does fine for me, for that reason.

They didnt have hursts when I bought mine, or I might have done that instead.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

How do you want me to see you since for the most part it is added bling. Unless you have a Roo bar with tires and jerry cans hanging all over it. Laughing

Emphasis mine. I've noticed this. many people who do fit them it is for looks or for the utility of holding a spare without destroying the front apron.

Where I live you could stand in the main street and see that every non commuting-appliance will probably have a roo bar, many have winches, and quite a few with things like jerry can holders, a hydraulic hoist, an animal cage, generator, locked toolbox etc. etc.
As far as I'm concerned it's a utility thing. i don't consider my roo bar to be pretty. It rusty, bent, worn away in one place and heavy enough to weigh the front down. However I also consider it to be useful.

Rear bars are also common to put things on and keep them out of the way while providing rear protection. I guess it depends on where you live and what your intent is.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Roos near me mate Wink

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
GetPsycho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**K - I don't usually fall for those.
That one about made jump out of my skin Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need to play it.

So, I was just playing Dead Island before I read your post. Laughing Must be the day for it.
minispdrcr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just curious since I have seen both styles and just wanted opinions to what people think.

Now whats a bull bar?

Ps...I just have overriders on my bumpers.

1969 Westfalia Weekender Edition
1973 Morris Mini 1300 Super
1998 Audi A6
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Djoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only love euro deluxe bumper trims

Cool

69 CLIPPER-L
74 WESTY
68 BUG
73 THING

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A BUS!
snapped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both the roo bars and the hurst ones. I'm thinking about putting the hurst style bars on my SC. One thing people seem to forget is that these
bars were not supposed to be used as protection in crashes(maybe the parking lot types) or for mowing down game on the hiway. They were orinally a brush guard to protect your front end from getting it's lights broken or your radiator(if you have one) pierced by a branch.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapped wrote:
I like both the roo bars and the hurst ones. I'm thinking about putting the hurst style bars on my SC. One thing people seem to forget is that these
bars were not supposed to be used as protection in crashes(maybe the parking lot types) or for mowing down game on the hiway. They were orinally a brush guard to protect your front end from getting it's lights broken or your radiator(if you have one) pierced by a branch.

Brush guards are a different beast again. Roo bars would probably snag any sticks etc. and harpoon the front. Ones like the big ARB bars with the bevelled plate bottoms would probably do this job well though.

Then we have push bars and nudge bars. Even one of our old daily drivers had a nudge bar on it for some reason. I'm still not really sure what the purpose of those are.

Diverging even more, when I was picking up the P clips I needed for the bay I was looking at the ride-on mowers for sale. One of them had what I could only really describe as a sort of a push bar on it. That's a first for me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: