Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

I do not want to replace the lifters. All I want to know is if the push rods and heads can be put back on the engine without having to worry about the hydraulic lifters, that never left their bores.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

If left for only a few days parked at an angle the lifters will bleed down in my experience. To fire up the motor to the sound of all 8 clacking, you'd have to wait through 10 minutes of that racket. I'd find it nerve racking, thinking all that banging around could be causing some premature wear on the cam. So yeah, I would do it, despite the royal pain of doing it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
I do not want to replace the lifters. All I want to know is if the push rods and heads can be put back on the engine without having to worry about the hydraulic lifters, that never left their bores.

The push rods and heads can be put back on the engine. But you will have to re-adjust the valves.

YLVW
Tcash
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

The push rods and heads can be put back on the engine. But you will have to re-adjust the valves.

YLVW
Tcash

I thought hydraulic valves never need adjusting.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

YLVW
Tcash

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

reality check- just changed out an under sized shadack pump for a "real" T-4 pump- and much better oil pressure- but noisier lifters- new rebuild that came with the bus AND-- they glued both sides of the valve cover gaskets in place--- again because "you never have to adjust hydraulics. Embarassed Embarassed d'oh! d'oh! - so YES you do-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

YLVW
Tcash

If you disassemble valve train parts you do.
Tcash
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Some solid lifters have retaining clips also.

Shocked
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

beetleman217, you said you got new heads. Did somebody spec them for your hydraulic lifters? I ask because hydraulics use stiffer valve springs/or shims under the springs to produce a stiffer pressure, so just be certain you're set up properly.

If a magnet grabs ahold of your pushrods, you've surely got hydraulics.

And like nathansnathan said, if there's ANY chance that any lifters under spring pressure had bled down before you took things apart, this will WHOLLY complicate your initial setup and valve adjustments...this is to say, now that you've had things apart, you WILL need to readjust all of them, no "if's or but's" about it. So be prepared.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?
DJC1211
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So yesterday my dad and I worked on the 79 bus I got a few weeks ago. The previous owner installed duel weber carbs on it although we have the fuel injection in a box. We are going to try to get it running with the carbs. It hasn't been running in at least 4 years. The hydraulic lifters had all kinds of air in them and after doing some research and knowing I won't be driving it much decided to get solid lifters. We installed the new lifters, pushrods, pushrod tube seals. The hydraulic lifters didn't have any strange wear on them. Anyway the engine is running like crap. The 2 cylinders on the driver side aren't running but they have compression and the engine is quite noisy. More so than typical solid lifter sounding engine. We are getting spark and fuel. The valves were adjusted to 6 thousandths. We tried a different set of plugs and they were coming out dark. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. Growing up my dad had and worked on 71 buses so this is a learning experience. My dad doesn't think it's looking favorable but I'd figure I would ask the more experienced. If anyone could point me at a thread or have any ideas I would appreciate it.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

DJC1211 wrote:
Hey guys,

The hydraulic lifters had all kinds of air in them and after doing some research and knowing I won't be driving it much decided to get solid lifters. We installed the new lifters, pushrods, pushrod tube seals.

engine is quite noisy.

Anybody mention that you *cannot put solid lifters on a hydraulic camshaft*??
You can't.
The hydraulic cam has a more aggressive lobe profile and is causing extreme side loads on the solid lifter not to mention higher impact loads on the valve train.
Colin
DJC1211
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
DJC1211 wrote:
Hey guys,

The hydraulic lifters had all kinds of air in them and after doing some research and knowing I won't be driving it much decided to get solid lifters. We installed the new lifters, pushrods, pushrod tube seals.

engine is quite noisy.

Anybody mention that you *cannot put solid lifters on a hydraulic camshaft*??
You can't.
The hydraulic cam has a more aggressive lobe profile and is causing extreme side loads on the solid lifter not to mention higher impact loads on the valve train.
Colin

I didn't know that Shocked I appreciate the reply. Ill order one ASAP!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Why not go back to your hydraulic lifters?

Although, if I understand what I've read here correctly, you would have to have marked which lifter goes with which valve, so that they are reinstalled in the same place that they came from.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

Or have the Hyd lifters resurfaced and run them in.
Tcash
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

I'm working on a 79 Cali bus with fi we are going to put the fi back on it and almost done my question is we live in ky I know I have to run the co2 sensor but do I have to run the cat ky doesn't care just wondering if it would read correctly if I took it off or can I run an aftermarket exhaust with the co2 sensor still on. The co2 sensor is before the cat just didn't know if it reads back pressure.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

A year into it, and finally I find a type 4 topic thread.
Making a comment now to help find this in the future. When the good stuff comes back.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
I'm working on a 79 Cali bus with fi we are going to put the fi back on it and almost done my question is we live in ky I know I have to run the co2 sensor but do I have to run the cat ky doesn't care just wondering if it would read correctly if I took it off or can I run an aftermarket exhaust with the co2 sensor still on. The co2 sensor is before the cat just didn't know if it reads back pressure.

You can run without the cat although technically that is tampering if it was ever enforced. KY still has to follow Federal standards. A new 49 state cat is not very much money, and they are available many places.

From what I understand, your main issue is the 79 Calif double relay as it is one of a kind. Keep an eye open for a spare in case yours ever dies.
Gnp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread Reply with quote

wow! this thread is gold to me.
removed 1.8 914 engine in 89 or 90 and am finishing, finally. I need the two pieces of sheet metal along the bottom sides near the front, both left and right pieces.I have two boxes of extra sheet metal. I am eager to part with.
Live in Long Beach; local deal would be soooooo convenient.
Also have at least two extra axels w joints that I repacked and put new boots on in the 90's. Misplaced them so I ooght a pair of new Chinese ones from Rock auto which I have installed in my '73 Westy and they- the ones I repacked. are also available to a good home for a modest price
Leaving the country at the end of the month and am eager to thin out my possessions.....
G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Finally scored some engines for my bus! My entire throttle pedal, cable, assembly, and FI stuff we're all pulled out of the bus along with the engine from the PO. I'm reading through the VW engine book but had a few questions for the veterans in this thread;

1. We're only certain engines equipped with mechanical fuel pumps?

2. Can any type 4 engine be ran with dual carbs?

3. What engine would be best for low/mid range torque? 1700, 1800, or 2000?

I ended up with a bare AW case, a CB with heads, and a GE with everything but heads. I don't have issues with spending the money to build any of these engines, just wanted to field some questions or get directions to some debates on Samba with plentiful info! My engine goals are based on pulling a small trailer with a vintage dirt bike or two with some basic camping gear in the cab.

Thanks for any help!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

1. pre '75 have fuel pump pad
2. any type IV can run dual carbs, but F.I. bus has camshaft calibrated for F.I.
3. 2.0 has more low end torque, and the camshaft that "shuts off" sooner
than a similar 1700 or 1800.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: