Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
1. pre '75 have fuel pump pad
2. any type IV can run dual carbs, but F.I. bus has camshaft calibrated for F.I.
3. 2.0 has more low end torque, and the camshaft that "shuts off" sooner
than a similar 1700 or 1800.

1. So depending on model year motor code, you may need an inline fuel pump. Suggestions for what ones to avoid and what ones to buy? (brands)
2. Awesome to know. Now I just need to figure out what motor was or wasnt FI so I can build that one!

Where is a good source of heads? Other than accidentally finding a set of the correct heads in some old dudes shop... where would the experts send novices like myself for a decent pair of built heads, or rebuildable heads?

Ive heard at a few different swap meets about square port heads and oval port heads? Other than shape, what are some PROS/CONS between the two?
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
Finally scored some engines for my bus! My entire throttle pedal, cable, assembly, and FI stuff we're all pulled out of the bus along with the engine from the PO. I'm reading through the VW engine book but had a few questions for the veterans in this thread;

1. We're only certain engines equipped with mechanical fuel pumps?

2. Can any type 4 engine be ran with dual carbs?

3. What engine would be best for low/mid range torque? 1700, 1800, or 2000?

I ended up with a bare AW case, a CB with heads, and a GE with everything but heads. I don't have issues with spending the money to build any of these engines, just wanted to field some questions or get directions to some debates on Samba with plentiful info! My engine goals are based on pulling a small trailer with a vintage dirt bike or two with some basic camping gear in the cab.

Thanks for any help!

1. the dual carb 1700 engines had the mechanical fuel pumps.
2. Any type 4 can be run with dual 40mm carbs..
3. a 2.0L would be best for torque.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

So I'm helping someone out who's '72 engine has given up the ghost..He's managed to find a 2000cc GD complete engine from a '78..it came with a transmission which does not appear to be a 091 or even a 5 rib.It was soppsedley all together at one point before he gave it to a couple of questionable "mechanics" who stripped the EFI components and somehow lost the flywheel before skipping town with his$$
Here's where I could use some help, (I've searched, maybe not hard enough)
Can someone give me a comprehensive list of interchangeble parts between a 1700 and 2000cc? or maybe a list of parts that wont swap over is easier?
Obviously the heads and P/cs are different, and I know the tins are slightly different in some ways and the flywheels are bigger diameter from '76 on.
Can the smaller flywheel work on the 2L?
Bigger flywheel work on .002 Trans? (maybe a dumb question)
Tins? fan housing?
Look forward to your list and input
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

All year tins fit the engine as well as the hole in the bus body, the differences center around what exhaust system and induction system is in play. The upper stuff can be made to work either way, it's the lower sleds that are exhaust system unique.
The little flywheel fits the 2l (set endplay of course), I think you can make the big flywheel fit an 002 with some relief grinding, easier to swap bellhousings though.
Internal engine differences are crank, rods, P&C's and heads, the FI engine has no place for a mechanical fuel pump so add an electric pump as well as a pressure regulator to the estimate.
The 2l doesn't play well with the 002's ratios, lots of low end torque but it runs out of pull before the gears top out on hills.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy, I was sad not see an .091 with the motor he scored, so I'd figure we'd just set that trans aside and install the 2L in his exsisting .002 trans in the bus..
He asked about tracking down the EFI components which I replied it would be nice, but the 1972 bus never had the provisions for the wonderful fuel injected beast, so I have talked him into a good set of duals
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

The only thing needed for FI is a dual outlet tank and a place to put the ECU, if he can get the stuff do the FI.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

the main problem with FI these days is that Bosch stopped making some of the remaining available parts about 3 years ago. We are seeing inventory go to zero with no warning on many of the parts instantaneously when warehouses run out. In the future used, aftermarket and homemade FI parts may be all that are available. I would advise him to collect good spare parts if he choose to go the FI route - which is a stable product. We love how our FI bus runs.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I agree with both of you guys.. one step at a time here,I did mention he'd need the later tank when I met with him..he's not overly interested in sourcing one..he's got a weber progressive on his 1700 now that he thought we could use..I said I have no interest in being married to the project with that carb setup and he agreed with my suggestion of going with a nice set of IDAs.. I have no idea of the history of this 2L, my first step is to get the old 1700 with the giant hole in the top of the crankcase out, rob the flywheel off of it so I can check the endplay and go from there..this bus needs a lot of work from what I could see from the 20 minutes I spent looking at it, but I said we'd see what we could do to get him rolling for the spring
-Thanks fellas
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

without a 091 gearbox, the 1800, & 2.0L, they don't like shallow 4th gears.Sad
take a very good look at that trans, the ring & pinion number, if you can
find it, if it is proper to 1972, the 1700 or 1800 piston/cylinder set will
make you very happy. There's nothing wrong with a bus engine that revs,
if you stick a 2.0L behind it, you'll wind up with 15 mpg, no matter if it's
city or highway. A properly geared 2.0L can go over 20 mpg easily,if you're
not speeding all the time.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
without a 091 gearbox, the 1800, & 2.0L, they don't like shallow 4th gears.Sad
take a very good look at that trans, the ring & pinion number, if you can
find it, if it is proper to 1972, the 1700 or 1800 piston/cylinder set will
make you very happy. There's nothing wrong with a bus engine that revs,
if you stick a 2.0L behind it, you'll wind up with 15 mpg, no matter if it's
city or highway. A properly geared 2.0L can go over 20 mpg easily,if you're
not speeding all the time.

I made him aware that the 2l is sort of wasted on that .002 trans..He's just happy to think that maybe he'd be able to turn the key and go for a spin again after the ordeal he had with the previous wrencher(s)..sad really how people can take advantage of others..it's a long story..
If all goes well, I'll convince him to find the .091 and big flywheel..but It probably wont be right away, the bus isn't in really bad shape considering, but has been dormant for quite awhile and needs some love and $$ in alot of areas..
Perhaps I'll start a thread when I start tearing into it..
PS..this project will also will help another friend of mine who is in need of replacement heads for his 1700, (sunken valve that's laid him up all summer)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

One of the more pivotal jumps in T4 Bus motor combo for the Westfalia Bus.

I lucked out on a purchase from the Philippines. A Raby Camper Special Kit - un used and for sale - these are presently out of production and unavailable. I got the heads, cam and lots of other goodies intended to make your stock 2 liter perform better. Well I got to thinkin and asked several others whom I trusted opinions on - can I make this bigger beyond the stock 2liter? As I needed to buy the Pistons/cylinders, crank and rods. Could the stock FI cope and adjust to the increased volume?

There were two motors that I knew of that took the CS beyond. One Raby built and one that dude built. I heard through the grapevine that dude was happy with his increase and could of went bigger. So I expounded off of that.

I now have a 78x96 - 2282cc CS motor running stock FI. Power is great and so far feels like the FI has no issues carrying the extra volume. Can I go faster with more power with carbs? Im sure - but this more than fits my bill for now.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Smooth. Have you hooked up an Air flow meter.
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

fes wrote:
I agree with both of you guys.. one step at a time here,I did mention he'd need the later tank when I met with him..he's not overly interested in sourcing one..he's got a weber progressive on his 1700 now that he thought we could use..I said I have no interest in being married to the project with that carb setup and he agreed with my suggestion of going with a nice set of IDAs.. I have no idea of the history of this 2L, my first step is to get the old 1700 with the giant hole in the top of the crankcase out, rob the flywheel off of it so I can check the endplay and go from there..this bus needs a lot of work from what I could see from the 20 minutes I spent looking at it, but I said we'd see what we could do to get him rolling for the spring
-Thanks fellas

If he was happy with the progressive the IDF's are a waste of time, ICT's or even Kadrons will do everything he needs, still be far better than the centermount, and require far less jetting and tuning to reach a point where he's happy. The IDF is a beautiful carb, but unless he's after fine tuned absolute performance and can tell the subtle difference the simple carbs will work fine.

The 002 will work with a 2l if you lift the bus and install big tires, not everyones cup of tea, but if he's considered something like that in the past now's the time.

Слава Україні!
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Is there a difference on oil pressure release valves between CU and CJ blocks?

My CJ is failing to cool the oil and I think the valve is not opening to let it flow to the oil cooler. Maybe a wrong size spring is in place. Is that possible?
'67 Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Daddylolo wrote:

My CJ is failing to cool the oil and I think the valve is not opening to let it flow to the oil cooler. Maybe a wrong size spring is in place. Is that possible?

How are you determining your oil is too hot?

At the relief valve spring gets old and its unloaded height shortens it will cause the valve to open and bypass the oil cooler more readily. There is a measurement for the stock spring height, you can either replace a too short spring or put a shim or two under it.
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

I have a oil temp gauge, it reaches 120 C in 30 miles if I do 55mph. It only maintains the cool if I do 35/40mph and it takes time.

What I mean, is there a chance the spring doesn't release the valve because pressure is too high and oil never goes to the cooler? Maybe there is a way to measure the pressure.

I've noticed the two blocks have different springs, the CU has a longer one.
'67 Ghia
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Daddylolo wrote:
I have a oil temp gauge, it reaches 120 C in 30 miles if I do 50mph. It only maintains the cool if I do 35/40mph and it takes time.

What I mean, is there a chance the spring doesn't release the valve because pressure is too high and oil never goes to the cooler? Maybe there is a way to measure the pressure.

I've noticed the two blocks have different springs, the CU has a longer one.

Pull the plug that covers the end of the control valve spring and measure the length of the spring. Running a very thick oil will also run the oil temperatures up.

Sure you don't have a mouse nest over top of the cooler? Remove the wire from the #4 plug and use a mirror and light to inspect the top of the cooler. If your thermostat flaps are not working correct, that will cause the oil to run hot as well. If the little spring near where the cable hooks up is broken the flaps will not return to the normal running position but will continue to block the flow of air through the cooler.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Daddylolo wrote:

How are you determining your oil is too hot?

At the relief valve spring gets old and its unloaded height shortens it will cause the valve to open and bypass the oil cooler more readily. There is a measurement for the stock spring height, you can either replace a too short spring or put a shim or two under it.

Wahat is the measurement??
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Bentley has the loaded spring lengths and the pounds. One can use a block of wood set to the correct length next to the spring sitting on a bathroom scale to see how the spring loads.

The oil washes the piston skirts and heads also to help cool them. Anything that is adding extra heat there - piston size, compression ratio etc., will heat the oil up too. Shroud cooling flap must be in place for the oil cooler to get the correct air flow. 120 C / 248 F is hot at 55 mph unless you are bucking a strong headwind or climbing from sea level the whole time. Most T4 would be around 180 F - 200 F / 88 C at that speed and temp.
Daddylolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Type 4 Engine Thread FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure you don't have a mouse nest over top of the cooler? Remove the wire from the #4 plug and use a mirror and light to inspect the top of the cooler. If your thermostat flaps are not working correct, that will cause the oil to run hot as well. If the little spring near where the cable hooks up is broken the flaps will not return to the normal running position but will continue to block the flow of air through the cooler.

Well Wildthings, you got it right. I don't remember where I got that thing that flaps should be set with the engine cool. I just found out that with the engine at about 80 C there is a gap on the oil cooler flap of about 8mm. As some parts are not new and where worn out with the years, even if they still function (thermostat and flap) I believe the best way to set flaps is the way I've done: with the engine hot. This way maximum air goes to the oil cooler when it is most needed. Smile
'67 Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: