Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 amp alternator
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an alternator from that ebay guy which was a stock 55amp supposedly rewired to 75 amp, much cheaper than the proper 70 amp alternator and drops right in no need to muck with pulleys and backplates.

I can't say for sure whether it's putting out 75 amps, but the voltage is rock steady at all RPM's which is more than I can say for the Bosch unit it replaced which lasted all of one year.

Even with a fridge and propex heater, your amp demand may be less than you think. Fridge = 5 amps maybe, propex = 2 amps. Charging two batteries is no big deal for the stock alternator, the real problem is steady draws like the 20amps of the BA-6 heater or big audio systems. You will find that with constant voltage charging in an automotive system, the amperage the batteries draw during charging levels off at a pretty modest level for most of the charge. Putting in a bigger alternator doesn't change a whole lot especially if you're using a standard charge relay which is inherently limiting.

There's a simple way to test this without an ammeter, just a voltmeter. Take your bus with fully charged batteries and run it, rev the engine just a bit, and take note of the system voltage at the battery. It should be around 14 volts.

Now run your house battery half way down and repeat the same test with all your accessories on. If it's still at 14 volts then the alternator is big enough and any bigger is just a waste of time.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
I bought an alternator from that ebay guy which was a stock 55amp supposedly rewired to 75 amp, much cheaper than the proper 70 amp alternator and drops right in no need to muck with pulleys and backplates.

I can't say for sure whether it's putting out 75 amps, but the voltage is rock steady at all RPM's which is more than I can say for the Bosch unit it replaced which lasted all of one year.

That's probably from the guys in Van Nuys that I'm looking at. I assume they add some more windings to the stock alternator or so. I am calling them in a bit to see if they have one in stock.

You can put an inductive clamp-style amp meter around your charge cable rev the engine to see what it's putting out. I spliced my house battery with a 40A relay and 10AWG, so I should be able to push lots of current that way

Were you able to use the stock voltage regulator with the 75A alternator?[/quote]

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
kamara wrote:
The e-bay one is 120A and fits in the stock location.

I really want to believe that. But something tells me it is either too good to be true...or a mirage.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VW-Mini-Bus-Porsche-914-Hig...0796737924

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:

You can put an inductive clamp-style amp meter around your charge cable rev the engine to see what it's putting out.

Wouldn't the induction ammeter only work if he was checking alternating current?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
gatorjos wrote:

You can put an inductive clamp-style amp meter around your charge cable rev the engine to see what it's putting out.

Wouldn't the induction ammeter only work if he was checking alternating current?

No, it works for DC. I used one to check how much current was going to my house battery.

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Bob -- very nice guy and ordered a 75A for $99. They take the stock alternator and put in a Mercedes stator making it 20A more juicy. They also sell the AL108X for $175, but I'm cheap Laughing

Number is 818 442 9082 BNR parts in Van Nuys

Previous romances:

jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to join in this discussion so late, but do you have contact info for the Van Nuys guys you talked to? Thanks.

Jim
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I put the name and number in the post above.

Cheers,
Jos

Previous romances:

Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorjos wrote:

The actual answer is: it depends. Smile

The inexpensive inductive-clamp ammeters only work on alternating currents because they use a simple loop to inductively couple to the changing electric field set up by alternating current.

More expensive clamp-on ammeters also have a Hall-effect transducer to measure static magnetic fields and are therefore able to properly measure DC current as well.

How to tell? DC clamp-on ammeters will usually be labeled as such...they are quite a bit more expensive and the manufacturer generally wants you to know why you are paying more money. The cheap clamp-on ammeters from Harbour Freight etc.... usually just good for A/C amps. Smile
jstrother123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for some stupid reason I read that as a part number. I need to read things more carefully in the future.

Jim
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see how the stock regulator would work for very long. All the charging wires would need to go up one or two sizes. Are you sure it's ok? I'd sure be interested in putting a good electric heater somewhere.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just wanted to check in to see how those with the higher output alternators from the eBay guy in Van Nuys are fairing...any issues with them so far? Seems like a great option but, like another past poster said, it seems a bit too good to be true.

Thanks,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Hello all,

Just wanted to check in to see how those with the higher output alternators from the eBay guy in Van Nuys are fairing...any issues with them so far? Seems like a great option but, like another past poster said, it seems a bit too good to be true.

Thanks,
- Doug

Installed mine in April. No issues. They give them a light coat of silver paint to make them look nice. Rubbed off a lot of it wiggling the damn thing into place.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks,
- Doug

Mine is still going strong from early 2012. I can't really vouch for whether it's truly 75 amps or not but it works without issue.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Good to hear...just got my eBay bucks certificate for this quarter so I might apply it to a purchase of one of these things.

Thanks!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Just wanted to check in to see how those with the higher output alternators from the eBay guy in Van Nuys are fairing

If you're talking about Custom Alternators (that's where I got mine), the quality of their rebuilds seem pretty good. The staff there is super helpful also. I've only had mine since January, but it's working great with no issues. Mine started out as a Bosch 70 Amp, that they upgraded to 110 Amp. Only thing to be aware of is they seem to be a small family business, so they close up shop completely for vacations and such, and if you happen to need support at one of those times, you'll have to wait till they return
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Ok, opening an older post here. I'm looking at putting and electric compressor in for my AC in my 74 9 pass. Came with a 1700, PO replaced with a 1600 and generator/regulator. Building a 2.0 for it so I would like to have a 75 amp alternator. "I talked to Bob -- very nice guy and ordered a 75A for $99. They take the stock alternator and put in a Mercedes stator making it 20A more juicy. They also sell the AL108X for $175, but I'm cheap Laughing

Number is 818 442 9082 BNR parts in Van Nuys" From a previous post. Seems like they are on ebay now for like $275, quite a bit more than the $99 of the previous post. Any info on this? I'd sooner have a stock style with more amps and avoid all the problems and different parts noted above in getting what I want, but a little pricey? Or am I just cheap?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Mini-Bus-Porsche-914-Alternator-75-Amp-High-Amp-Generator-/282047978942
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Same here. Wondering why the big price hike from $99 to $275. In only a few years

I see two companies on ebay offering the higher output alternators that were mentioned here. They are "bnrparts" for $275 plus $20 Shipping and "eagleautoelectric" for $250 plus $20 Shipping.

There listed as a AL75x that have been upped from stock 55amps to a higher output of 75Amps.

I wonder if the alternators wiring harness needs to be upgraded?

...also they look to offer at times the AL108X 70amp model upped to 120Amps

I need to order one asap. My alternators bearing just froze and smoked the belt!
“He that goeth to bedde wyth Dogges, aryseth with fleas.”

"The Blue Submarine"
1977 Campmobile, Type 4 2.0 liter Federal, Non-Catalyst, Fuel Injected with Valvetrain from the type4store, 411 Heat Exchanger Preheaters, S&S Header, Supertrapp Silencer. ...and a lot of help from Clatter and TCash and friends!
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Well they told me the cores have went up so much. I guess the Mercedes or what ever they use are in short suppley. He told me $200 if I send him a core 55amp. What I like is that nothing else has to be changed. No fan or housing or anything. Supposed plug and play and charge like crazy! No a camper or a big stereo useage or anything, but I want to make sure I have enough as I may put electric compressor for my AC in the future.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 70 amp alternator Reply with quote

Anybody know what size stator is in the 55 amp? I talked to a local rebuilder and he said if we can find the dimensions of that, he can look up to see what else might be available. If my alternator is ok EXCEPT swapping a new stator, he tells me that we would be @ about $60-75!!! I may have to send him one of mine just to see what we can do..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: