Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

y/n can the cylinders reinstall w/o removing the pistons ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: y/n can the cylinders reinstall w/o removing the pistons ? Reply with quote

my engine is at a friends place, heads off, cylinders off and everything cleaned. Question is there a shortcut to reinstall the cylinder jugs with the pistons still on the connecting rods ? we tried every way we could but getting past the last ring was our only problem. this is now in its 3rd weekend, and i'm at the mercy of my friends spare time. removing the pistons from the rods, which has become the hard time consuming part of the job. and this is what the hold up has been. am i reading this right? are these guys saying there ring compresser can do the job without removing the pistons? http://farfrombroken.com/index.php?p=1_23_Vanagon-Cylinders-Install
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience say NO, but would love to be shown it can be done.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it over and I will give you a hand /loan you the tools to do it.
Oakton VA about 1.5 hr out from you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it many times, in the car even. You can make the chamfer at the bottom of the cylinder much bigger to make it easier. Use a split style ring compressor, you do have to work to get the compressor out but it can be done.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I have done it many times, in the car even. You can make the chamfer at the bottom of the cylinder much bigger to make it easier. Use a split style ring compressor, you do have to work to get the compressor out but it can be done.

I have two waterboxers sitting here in need of resealing.
As was have talked about before...I may need to bring one over to see that done.
Talk to you Tuesday.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. See you then Dylan.

The chamfer can be ground to about twice as big, I use a carbide cutter on a die grinder rather than a grinding stone so it leaves no abrasives in the cylinder that could be missed when you are cleaning them up.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Bring it over and I will give you a hand /loan you the tools to do it.
Oakton VA about 1.5 hr out from you.
thanks for the offer. i work out of manassas at night and sat is my off day. i will give it the rest of the week or until the weekend, just talked to my friend and we should be able to get it all done this week doing it the long way btw we do have the vw tools needed to do the job the long way. its just getting the wrist pins out is a pain in the butt, but hey i might take you up on the offer if my buddy gets swamped with work this week.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bust out your VW 3159 and it should make quick work of the wrist pins.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: