Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to source some oil galley plugs. I’d like to use brass but would be fine using steel plated.

I’ll be using 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 NPT.

Thanks for any suggestion’s.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

McMaster Carr.

McMaster.com
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

I know it's the dreaded cip1 website (I have no problem with it though)...but...https://www2.cip1.com/c12-4500-50/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

I like brass or steel. Whatever you do, stay away from the EMPI aluminum ones. I lightly hand threaded one in with some oil just to check my depth.. when I went to unscrew it, the damn thing stripped. Even with oil, it still gauled enough to get stuck. The aluminum they use is *slightly* harder than room temperature butter. I had to drill the damn thing and use an easy out to get it out of the hole.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

The local Ace Hardware has the steel npt plugs in a yellow box by the nuts and bolts. Maybe check your local hardware store.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

Thank you all. I’ll check out Ace today. I won’t go the aluminum route. I’m okay (so far) with cip1. MMCarr is harder to surf their catalog.

Yesterday when I was searching the web not much was popping up. Later I used my iPhone and a lot more showed up.

I seem to have struck out searching the big box stores. I’m trying to keep this local. I’ve lost soooo much time waiting on orders. I used to like UPS. I’ll still use them but their lack of updates until it’s on your doorstep gets old. Rant over.
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

Amazon - do a search for "npt plugs"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

I ordered mine from Jegs, at the same time as I ordered all the push-lock 1/2" fittings and hose for full flow. I don't personally have a problem with aluminum but it is true if you have to remove them, the allen or star recess can cam out if you're not careful to spray the recess out and go in straight. If they get stripped out, it is easy to simply center drill and use an ez-out to remove them... most of the time
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

I was able to find the brass plugs at ACE. They didn’t have enough so I went to another ACE and bought some more.

As a side note, ACE didn’t have the drill or tap for the 3/8”. They had a 9/16” drill bit which would work. I did a search with Home Depot for the correct 37/64 drill bit and 3/8” NPT tap. They sell it as a set for $9.33 after tax. I chose ship to the store thinking I’d get it faster, but Home Depot outsourced it so it is a little slower.

At that price I’m good. When I looked at Lowe’s they have a note: No Longer Available. Weird.
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

Bought mine off Amazon - Made by Drill America - $8.80 (drill and tap)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy oil galley plugs after removal Reply with quote

hardware store....plumbing section.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: