Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace PVC Tube to Faucet?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Greetings, I bought my '87 westfalia camper from my parents earlier this year, and they never used the sink - or really any of the water or stove stuff for the 26 years they owned it. I've been making upgrades as necessary (a new propane tank, a shurflo faucet, repainting the stove, etc.).

My question is, do I need to replace the length of original PVC tubing from the water tank to the sink, or can the tubing simply be cleaned by flushing water with diluted vinegar, peroxide and/or bleach through the line?

My hesitation with undertaking the replacement is that I've been advised by my local mechanic that the fridge (which works like a dream) must first be removed in order to access that length of tubing, and that the tubing is secured behind the fridge with some brackets.

I don't want to screw up the fridge in the process, and I don't want to take on a complex job right now Wink In case it helps, the water tank was really clean when I scrubbed the inside earlier this summer.

What do most people do? Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Take a look at the supply line below the sink since that is easy to see. Does it look clear or does it have black grunge in it?

If it is nasty you should replace it. It can sometimes be done by pulling the line off the pump at the tank and splicing a new line onto it and pulling it thru to the sink side. There are clips that hold the line to the body behind the kitchen unit so the splice will need to be internal and clean on the outside to not to get hung up.

If it is reasonably clear then disinfecting is likely OK.

YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

I'm not sure that any of the hose mounting brackets are in fact behind the fridge. If not, the others are pretty accessible, so the hose could be easily replaced.

Aside from the section directly behind the fridge, most of the rest of that water supply line can be visually inspected inside the various cabinets. If you don't see obvious contamination, you could sanitize it in situ:

Add 1/4 cup of household bleach to a gallon of water, and pour this mixture into the water tank, either through the exterior filler port or through the large cap on the top of the tank. Run the sink faucet until you can smell bleach-water at the faucet to indicate that the entire supply line is primed. Let it sit for a few hours to fully sanitize the system, then drain the tank and re-fill with fresh water. Run the faucet again until bleach can no longer be smelled, then drain the tank.

Here's some more info on water system maintenance:
https://campwestfalia.com/using-the-westfalia-kitchen-sink/

Welcome to the club!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

This is what mine looked like after 21 years (the original is to the left of the new hose):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You'll want to change them. You shouldn't have to pull the fridge. I took off one end (I think on the tank side), taped the new hose to the old one and pulled it through behind the cabinet. Didn't take very long and wasn't very difficult.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

I just had my interior out so I can confirm that there's a clamp at the floor of the cabinet to the left of the fridge, but no clamps behind the fridge. Pull out the false floor 'step' at the bottom of the cabinet under the sink and it's a pretty straight shot at the floor behind the fridge.

I think you should be able to pull a new hose by attaching to the old one and using it like a fish tape of sorts... maybe even buy some kind of double-ended barbed fitting to help make sure they don't come apart behind the fridge while you're pulling?

djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I ordered replacement tubing today and will give it a try with some smooth tape and an internal splice.

sped, when you say the false floor step, do you mean the bottom of the under sink cabinet? In my camper, there's a lower section right behind the cabinet door. Behind that - the step - there's a slightly higher shelf extends to the back of the cabinet.

Also, when you say to the left of the fridge, do you mean under the water tank?

Regards,

-Doug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

djacksonsf wrote:

Behind that - the step - there's a slightly higher shelf extends to the back of the cabinet.

Yes, this... pull it up and out and you'll have an easier time with the water line.
djacksonsf wrote:

Also, when you say to the left of the fridge, do you mean under the water tank?

Well, not under the water tank, inside the cabinet between the water tank and the fridge. Pull the access panel to the lower portion (or look through the small door on the front of the cabinet by the outlet) and you'll see the clamp at the very back by the wall panel.
djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Hi, I was successful on my second try at replacing the line. The first try resulted in one of the rings somewhere behind the cabinetry to snag on the splice between old and new lines, and the ring and a very small chunk of insulation came out when I pulled the splice out. The second time I used a smoother, less bulky tape and it worked like a dream. My question is:

Do I need to worry about dislodging the ring? For example, does it keep the hose clear of part of the fridge or stove that heat up or could otherwise negatively affect the new water line? I haven't tried the fridge yet, but is there any wiring I might have disturbed that I need to be concerned about? Just trying to avoid starting the fridge or stove and having a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
'83 BMW R100RS
'74 BMW 2002
djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

P.S. what came out was a small, black ring with an anchor at the bottom.
'83 BMW R100RS
'74 BMW 2002
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

djacksonsf wrote:
Do I need to worry about dislodging the ring? For example, does it keep the hose clear of part of the fridge or stove that heat up or could otherwise negatively affect the new water line? I haven't tried the fridge yet, but is there any wiring I might have disturbed that I need to be concerned about?

Hasn't been a problem in the 8 years after replacing my van's hose.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

That ring was just one of the anchor points for the line but I do not recall that they are really necessary. I would not be concerned at all. Good job getting a fresh line in there.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Here are some pics for the next person that may be helpful showing how the lines are routed. I agree the clips are not a big deal, if you even remove the cabinet, you can secure and clean up everything behind there.

The one caution, though is be prepared to break the faucet in the process. The plastic is brittle with age and the pvc hose hardens with age and mine broke. That's o.k. though, then you can get a new upgraded faucet with a variable flow.

djacksonsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Replace PVC Tube to Faucet? Reply with quote

Super helpful! As always, thanks for the support. Heading to camp in Big Sur this weekend and looking forward to using the upgraded faucet now that the old tubing has been replaced!
'83 BMW R100RS
'74 BMW 2002
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: