Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenbrier62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Saturday side project Reply with quote

After finishing my rack and pinion install, I noticed I had some extra wood, screws and two speakers lying around...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once the glue is dry, I'll place it in the vanagon and take some pics to show how it looks...
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built this setup a while ago. Subwoofer and center console are both bulky items that I'd want while driving around town or on long highway trips, but not in the backcountry or on extended camping trips, so I figured why not combine them and make it removable???

I bought an Infinity BassLink subwoofer and coudn't find anywhere better to put it than between the 2 front seats. I used a trailer light harness to easily disconnect the power wires and RCA plugs for the inputs. I found the cupholder at the FLAPs and it happened to be the exact width of the feet of the BassLink. Since the Basslink can be mounted in pretty much any direction. there is a mounting hole on each corner. I ordered an extra pair of feet for the BassLink on the Infinity web site and screwed the cupholder directly in to it.

I haven't set up a permanent mount in the van because the cupholder/console portion is a bit too wide to put both armrests down at the same time and it's tough to get to the e-brake, so it wobbles around a bit. When I get around to it, version 2.0 will have a narrower console up top and I'll devise a bracket to secure the console but also allow easy removal.[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
rlbarnes5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

I recently completed this console in my '89 Vanagon AT.

My wish list was: Maintain walk-through ability on the floor between the seats, water bottles and cup-holders at good height for the driver, hard-wire in a multi-port USB device charger, shelf to keep iPod out of direct view, but easily accessible (iPod GUI is easier to navigate than via my stereo headunit).

The last photo shows some LEDs I added and wired into the AT shifter light circuit. They help add some low-glare light to the floor area between the seats.

This is what we came up with...

Also, a few photos of the construction process for your reference.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wood ones are all too squarish for me (and my shins)

this is a perfect 3D printer project...
Gzhang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: diy center console Reply with quote

Here is my diy center console. Just finished yesterday using some waste wood lying around. Bought a little can of cherry wood finish, my five year old helped paint it and then accidently dumped almost the whole can! I used to little pics of aluminum stick to help clump in rue original two console hole space. Feels pretty sturdy and still be able to shift. And walk back to the kitchen without getting out of the van.

OnthewheelsofPegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

DIY build that I just finished recently. Assembled Box inside of the van. Everything fits snug.

rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

OnthewheelsofPegasus wrote:
DIY build that I just finished recently. Assembled Box inside of the van. Everything fits snug.
[pix]

Is that a locking clasp for the top? If so, where did you get it, or what is that type called? I have been having trouble sourcing something similar. I'll post my setup shortly. Cheers
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

It's a window sash lock, it rotates and pulls the sash tight together.
I just put a bunch in my house.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JM6GV2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

For anybody who hasn't seen it, I really like this one.

http://vanagongeek.blogspot.com/2017/08/center-console-project.html
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

heres mine. Simple, just a box to hold a cooler and then another compartment for junk. Keeps it all from rolling around. Painted to match my other cabinets.
DSC_1475 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr
DSC_1471 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr[/img]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

Good idea rfoubi!

I am curious, what is the cabinet behind the passenger seat?
Does it hinder sliding back or reclining the seat as the cabinets do to the drivers seat?
What about battery access?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Good idea rfoubi!

I am curious, what is the cabinet behind the passenger seat?
Does it hinder sliding back or reclining the seat as the cabinets do to the drivers seat?
What about battery access?

Dave

The cabinet is a pantry/general storage. Top hinges up for a big compartment i keep mapbooks, straps, misc spare parts, etc in. Bottom is two shelves of food/etc.

IMG_2050 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr

It doesn't hinder sliding of the seat or battery access. In fact it makes a nice wall to mount my blue-seas ACR for dual battery, some relays, battery combine/off switch, fuse block, inverter, etc.

DSC_8679 by Robin Foubister, on Flickr

It does hinder the passenger recline. Same recline as driver's seat. AKA not enough! Worth it though IMO for the storage.
OnthewheelsofPegasus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Center Consoles? Pics for inspiration, please. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It's a window sash lock, it rotates and pulls the sash tight together.
I just put a bunch in my house.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JM6GV2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave

Nailed it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: