Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sooooo, my wheel fell off. damage ensues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: sooooo, my wheel fell off. damage ensues Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Need some help diagnosing a bit of damage that occurred after my wheel came flying off my van at 45mph driving home from work Friday night. Laughing Obviously the rotor was shredded as it took the brunt of the damage as I ground along to a halt.

Last night a buddy and I replaced the rotor and pads on the drivers side front spindle where the damage had occurred. We get everything back together and the rotor spins freely on the spindle everything *looks* ok. We put the wheel back on and notice it will no longer spin. confused, we start looking around and realize part of the suspension assembly is rubbing on the inside of the rim, and the portion of the upper control arm that juts out where the ball joint connects is rubbing on the tire. Hmmm, this is no good. We proceed to cuss and swear but that seems to have no effect.

On to the pictures!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

image hosting gif

You can see the rub marks here:

image upload

png image hosting

My friend think something's bent, but I don't want to start just ordering random parts to throw at it. The only thing I could think that would be bent is the part that has the rub marks - I think that's the spindle / knuckle assembly.

I did talk to someone at Van Cafe and he seemed surprised that just having the wheel come off would bend that piece. He said you usually only see bent spindles when there's been a collision. But then again, don't know what else it could be?

Is it possible we put the bearings in wrong, and the whole rotor is sitting to far 'in' on the spindle which is causing the wheel to rub? However, you can see in the picture that this piece has been rubbing ever since the wheel came off (put wheel back on, limped home 20 blocks).

Any ideas or suggestions on how to start diagnosing this thing? thanks!
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of alloy wheels are those? Check the other front and I bet there is a spacer,and this one was lost when the wheel came off.If the bearings were not fitted correctly the rotor would be in a different position in the caliper.Oh and don't forget to hand torque all of your wheels and then re torque after approx 50 miles!
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull off the good side and grab a ruler,straight edge and angle
guage then start comparing. You'll find out quickly what is bent or
assembled wrong.
Must have been scary. Be happy the damage is hopefully just a few bolt
on parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe pull the other side wheel off. and See if anything is different, I wonder if they gave you teh wrong rotor or something like that. I dont think yo ucan really put wheel bearing too far in, I think you are supposed to pound them in until it stops, Inner wheel bearing that is. And maybe see if you rim is tweeked now causing it to rub. What made is fall off in the first place loose lugs?
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Wheels are the South African replicas bought from Bus Depot (I think) several years ago. I didn't think about spacers... that would be nice if that's all the problem is. I'll pull the other wheel tonight and see if I'm missing any parts.

Not sure if I have an angle gauge, but I could maybe dig up a protractor somewhere.

Now that I think about it, when I put the new rotor on, it sat just far enough in to be able to thread the axle nut on to tighten everything down. I'm starting to think the problem isn't with the rotor or bearings, which would only leave a missing spacer, or a bent spindle as options?
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CQ wrote:
Maybe pull the other side wheel off. and See if anything is different, I wonder if they gave you teh wrong rotor or something like that. I dont think yo ucan really put wheel bearing too far in, I think you are supposed to pound them in until it stops, Inner wheel bearing that is. And maybe see if you rim is tweeked now causing it to rub. What made is fall off in the first place loose lugs?

I believe so, I think I may have been driving with a couple missing lugs without knowing it. Honestly, I've never thought to check my lug nets before, figured they were 'set and forget' but now I'll remember to check them from time to time!

Could be the wheel too I guess, I'll pull the other one off and try it. I'd think if it was the wheel that was bent only part of the inside of the rim would be scraped up, but it's pretty consistent scraping during the whole wheel revolution.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Events such as These... Reply with quote

Events such as these remind me why every spring I work over every last one of Winston's lug nuts (I converted the front hubs) with a torque wrench. I had one come off in his old 'full moon' hubcap. It was the Devil's 'I Told You So.'

I hope you get the repairs done quickly and that you and your van are happily and safely on the road again soon!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I pulled the other wheel and wouldn't you know it, spacers were there. There's no way I'll find them all back at the scene of the crime. Anyone know where I can order some? They're the 15" rhein wheels that were popular a few years ago.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Chris AKA loogy. Think he has some in the classifieds now.He is the man for vanagon wheel hardware.
NorCalbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=50809

1987 Westfalia Vanagon - "Clifford"
roberth3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very scary!!! Does anyone know the torque values for CLK wheels? I have the proper lug nuts and don't know what the proper torque setting is. I have been doing it by the tight as I can get them method.

Thanks
Robert
'86 Westy
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
Try Chris AKA loogy. Think he has some in the classifieds now.He is the man for vanagon wheel hardware.

Yep Chris is the man. He's also local to Seattle, so if you're lucky enough that he has it in stock, you can probably rendezvous with him to pick it up.

Measure the thickness of your spacer on the other side so he can get you a match -- www.t3technique.com

-M
CQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the original ones had the wrong lug nuts too. Not that I have these wheels or anything but just reading what Chris writes on his T3 website sounds like that you need special lugs maybe when you put on these wheels. Hopefully he will chime in he seems to be the experts on the Vanagon wheel situations here.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post thread.

vwsyncroguy wrote:
My 1990 Syncro came with factory alloys and the factory chrome lug nuts with tapered seats...all around. Syncros come from the factory with studs at all 4 wheels

My current wheels are a set of the S. African "Rhein" style alloys which are 15" have the factory offset of ET30 and use nuts with conical seats ...so they are a straight "bolt on" exchange with no mods or spacers required. All of the S. African import wheels are the same.

But I WOULD very much like to know where to buy less expensive replacements for the expensive factory chrome lug nuts.

Warren C.

So if theses Rhein wheels are ET 30 why does he need spacers?? Surprised Surprised
Did these come in different widths in a 15?

Vanman glad yor ok.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
Taken from "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post thread.

vwsyncroguy wrote:
My 1990 Syncro came with factory alloys and the factory chrome lug nuts with tapered seats...all around. Syncros come from the factory with studs at all 4 wheels

My current wheels are a set of the S. African "Rhein" style alloys which are 15" have the factory offset of ET30 and use nuts with conical seats ...so they are a straight "bolt on" exchange with no mods or spacers required. All of the S. African import wheels are the same.

But I WOULD very much like to know where to buy less expensive replacements for the expensive factory chrome lug nuts.

Warren C.

So if theses Rhein wheels are ET 30 why does he need spacers?? Surprised Surprised
Did these come in different widths in a 15?

Vanman glad yor ok.

VanMan2009 wrote:
Wheels are the South African replicas bought from Bus Depot (I think) several years ago

Yeah, I'm curious which wheels these are also.

VanMan, I would be happy to help get you all fixed up. Shoot me an email to the address in my signature.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Antelope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andrew,
Kevin here, the wheels are Alyesso sports, not sure if I spelled that right, the ET should be stamped on the inside of the wheel. Give the ET to Loogy and he can hook you up with a new spacers. There was receipt in folder I gave you with the van that has some more information, I think they were bought around 1998 at some tire shop in San Diego if I remember right. Glad your okay that's scary stuff.

Kevin
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberth3850 wrote:
This sounds very scary!!! Does anyone know the torque values for CLK wheels?

AFAIK it should be 90 ft·lb. ? Hopefully someone can confirm...
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you been, I've been waiting since march to get torque settings!
Very Happy
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timichango wrote:
roberth3850 wrote:
This sounds very scary!!! Does anyone know the torque values for CLK wheels?

AFAIK it should be 90 ft·lb. ? Hopefully someone can confirm...

I thought the torque was determined by the stud...not the wheel.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley says 123ft/lb. for VW stock fasteners
Aftermarket stuff usually 90..as is all three of our other rides. Vw, Honda,Audi.

Using antiseize increases effective torque via thread lubricity (and I use it on all wheel bolts, particularly the winter drivers) so if you do this, 75 to 80 is good. The important thing is that you have a torque wrench, and that they are equal. In 29 years of wrenching, never a rim issue..

http://unlimited-usa.com/ftpgetfile.php?id=29 (lube vs dry torque)

With autocrossing, feels like I've changed a few too many tires....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: