Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

German Manufactured Front Suspension Parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

I am happy with the quality of the suspension parts on the market
Yes, I enjoy repeatedly doing the same job instead of enjoying my van
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
No, I want parts that actually last.
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: German Manufactured Front Suspension Parts Reply with quote

Last week while spending a ridiculous amount of time researching Vanagon crap on the internet I found a supplier that had a LOT of German made front end parts listed such as bushings, bearings, seals tie rod ends and ball joints. The ad included photos and the prices were substantially higher which made it seem legit. THey also specified when the parts were actually german made (NOT "european" made) I am sick and tired of the rubber failing on every part I replace in less than a year! The originals lasted over 20 years, the new replacements less than a year! Now I am ready to order these parts and can not find the site again. I know some sites have some of the items but they don't look the same and the prices are too low. So far, I have doublechecked vancafe, busboys, van-again, gowesty.

Does anyone know what site I am missing? (I checked a few more from the vanagon list as well)
I need most of the front suspension parts, rear bearings, seals, drums and bushings.

Please let me know if you know where I can get the highest quality parts to do it right. Thank you, Neil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dealer purchased parts have always been excellent quality.
There are at least three different grades of parts available out there and the bottom two aren't worth the time or money IMHO.

I know which brand I want and don't want for each specific part and have to order from multiple sources frequently.
You don't save money this way, but I don't have to keep replacing parts on a regular basis.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want Lemforder for balljoints. That's what the dealer used
to supply. The last dealer balljoints I got is made by TRW. The
lemforder are the good ones. I am on the fence for the rest of
the parts except to avoid Meyle. I have had poor luck with their
stuff lately. For bushing I usually just go with the Powerflexs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote when it is time... Buy all this stuff from vanagain trusting his taste in quality parts. I abuse my van so I'll get back after a year of getting air and hauling down washboard and potholed dirt back roads.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage a BMW repair shop, do not buy Karlyn. Lemforder seems the best and second choice is FEBI. Nothing else is worth a damn...
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Progress, thanks Reply with quote

I am still searching for the specific site but good advice so far Meyle is obviously not what it once was...I had no idea anything was available from VW anymore, I never thought to try. I ordered some Lemfoerder front lower arm bushings to start.

Does anyone know anything about the quality of German made Flennor Tie rod assemblies?

They are quite cheap on EBAY. ($50).

I am going with Burley's upper control arms. Will check into Lemfoerder lower ball joints, my uppers are brand new and seem ok for now, if not they are easy to swap later...I have heard the poly sway bar bushings are a bit harsh. Any comments? I have a 21mm sway bar, heard there exists a 23mm. anyone know what model had it or anyone that might have one for sale?

Thanks, Neil
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to burly arms? Advantages? I was going to go all poly, scared of it being too harsh. Anyone regret the front end being all poly bushings?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go poly too but costs kept me with stock stuff. I'm not sad though, even new rubber bushings in everything should be fantastic.

I got Febi/Bilstein upper ball joints, I have seen a few of the TRW joints squeak
Lemforder lower ball joints
Radius arm bushings from the dealer
FEQ (Chinese Sad ) steering rack bushings, UCA bushings and LCA bushings. They still look 100% better than what I am removing!
Also SKF front wheel bearings. The BMW rear bearing was cheaper but I am not familiar with the brand. W-something.

I will probably be going with poly swaybar bushings though, tires will take up a lot of side to side slop but it can't hurt to have some low compliance bushings in there either. Shouldn't effect ride quality at all.

Burleys arms: http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...2ft09eah63

I "might" do poly rear control arm bushings.

To the OP, try the dealership for bushings. I know they can't get the UCA shims but they did have a few other things I was surprised about. Also see if they can order stuff from VW Classic in Germany?
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend not FEQ from my experience at my BMW shop, their stuff doesn't seem to last...
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Keep the facts coming please. I am ready to order asap Reply with quote

Thanks Hans, it appears you have to look at each item individually. I cannot find Lemfoerder Lower ball joints. Any sources? I can find uppers, no problem.

Yes PRICE is a consideration for the poly items I am sad to say, but harshness more so.

The control arms are a mistake from the factory, Burley has the perfect solution.

Is there an online source for VW dealer parts?

I heard VWOA visited vancafe (or somewhere)and is pretending they actually give damn about us again and claim they will be making more parts available soon, I hope they start with affordable wear parts like these.

It would be nice, come from a devoutly loyal VW family!
P|LLs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy has a ton of parts. I had to wait for a couple weeks to get mine but they are German if not he will let you know the country of origin.

http://server4.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SES...terID=4357

p|lls
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: thank you! Reply with quote

Hells yes that's what I'm talking about! Expensive but you can SEE the quality!

http://server3.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SES...terID=4357
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuleinc wrote:
I was going to go all poly, scared of it being too harsh.

Thinking about vs actually having urethane bushings installed and driving with them are two different things.
Your statement doesn't compute with me.
There are two very promenant vendors who both sell a lot of bushings that may not understand or appreciate a statement like that without specific Vanagon experience either.
Changing from stock parts falls under "tuning" in my book.
Designing and using the appropriate parts to achieve the ride you desire is the goal of a tuner.
Urethane bushings are used when stock is just not cutting it for you.
Knowing what areas need stiffening and what areas need softening, is the key.
Please do not be scared of urethane bushings, without them, many converted, raised, lowered and tuned Vanagons would not have been possible.

My experience comes from having both readily available bushings (the black and purple ones) mounted in Vanagons and driving them in varying conditions.
IMHO, cut springs and 40 series tires give harsh rides.
Urethane bushings give support and help dampen the ride on "tuned" vehicles all over the world.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Keep the facts coming please. I am ready to order asap Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Thanks Hans, it appears you have to look at each item individually. I cannot find Lemfoerder Lower ball joints. Any sources? I can find uppers, no problem.

Yes PRICE is a consideration for the poly items I am sad to say, but harshness more so.

The control arms are a mistake from the factory, Burley has the perfect solution.

Is there an online source for VW dealer parts?

I heard VWOA visited vancafe (or somewhere)and is pretending they actually give damn about us again and claim they will be making more parts available soon, I hope they start with affordable wear parts like these.

It would be nice, come from a devoutly loyal VW family!

VWOA distributes parts, Classic VW Parts is who has put some NLA items back into production.
The price of most reproduced parts is 10-15% higher than dealer cost when they were available.
They care and I have purchased many of the Syncro parts they have available.
I have only positive things to say about the entire venture.

Again, urethane suspension bushings are not harsh.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your poll...sounds like you're implying that the current parts are all low quality junk...I guess that means Burly, T3Technique, etc... Rolling Eyes
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: PLease tell me more vendors, quality parts! Reply with quote

the poll was/is a farce. Not everyone gets my sense of humour, which is so bizarre it make Monty Python look mainstream. I certainly was not implying any negative criticism concerning the quality vendors you mentioned or the ones I mentioned in the original post. It is the parts that are sometimes sold because they are supposedly the only ones available that frustrate me. I have parts on both my van and kit car that the rubber is completely gone and they are only a few years old. OEM and quality parts do not do that. I want to pay more to get good parts.

The poly/rubber debate has been properly addressed on at least two forums. When I say I am concerned about harshness, it is because, like you said, I have never experienced them. Having read the other forums I intend to procure some poly parts for the rack mount and probably for the rear trailing arm when I do that.

I come from the perspective of having learned to drive in my dad's 87 vanagon, and then driving my ragged out highly modified 84 westy. I have never driven any other vanagons, and yes I am guilty of having opinions without facts.

I have learned names of both parts and suppliers I had never heard of, and suggestions as to their quality from this thread, all GREAT information!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the next 30 days, in California, there are three get togethers, events actually that will have some of the most tuned Vanagons on the planet in attendence.

Syncrofest
Syncro de Mayo
and a gethering specifically for discussing and showing 2wd Vanagon suspensions.

There are threads in these forums about each event.

I suggest you attend what you can and soak it all in.

Vendors will be present as well as fabricators.

Hope this helps.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so can't wait for the suspension meet! I'm waiting to pull the trigger on the all poly bushing front end, because there are no radius arm bushings yet, and that's really the only thing my van needs... Laughing I'd like to take it apart and do it once...
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: gathering info @ gatherings Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions, now that I live in the greatest state in the union I can actually attend one or more of said gatherings, probably synchro de mayo!

Driving up to San luis obispo over the summer to buy a motorcycle, i "happened" upon Gowesty, which was better than visiting Graceland!

Honestly though, I get a ton of good info on forums.

Any more suggestions? Should I hold out for FAG bearings? Replace inner races?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: PLease tell me more vendors, quality parts! Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

The poly/rubber debate has been properly addressed on at least two forums.

Please don't take this the wrong way; I am all for people buying what works for them/parts that they deem appropriate for their needs (in other words, I'm not trying to sell you on the urethane products or sway you away from rubber products), but I have to ask about the quote above.

This "poly/rubber debate" that you mentioned; are these Vanagon forums other than here or another type of car forum? The reason that I ask is that I am always interested in feedback concerning the Powerflex/Vanagon relationship and peoples impressions of such, especially when it comes to the misconception that urethane bushings always impart harshness is being tossed around. If you could point me in the right direction for this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: