Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kinda Bullet Proof 1776 build, Thanks if you can help.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: kinda Bullet Proof 1776 build, Thanks if you can help. Reply with quote

I am going to build my brother a 1776. I have never built anything above 1641 but I know how to measure and get shit right.
I looked at older post and want to put together a very nice engine.
The only requirements would be the 100 mile round trips to the Farmington Bug Bash(and all that implies) and 5 miles to work. I'm starting with nothing. It will all be store bought. Vehicle is early Type I. Most likely a fresh recommended config trans (swing).

My brother wants 36 HP shroud. He wants vintage valve covers. He wants dual 48's but may be too big. But I am the builder so he gets what I give him.

I've heard and read to start with:

China frowned upon
DPR Crank
UDO Lifters
best case? AS41,Auto Linea, someones bubble top?
best heads? Mofoco, Aircooled.net, Sir Berg?
best about everything else.

...the rest of the parts are always argued about. Its all based on what I can get my hands on during the next 4-8 months(machined parts may be slow). Thanks in advance if you add your 2 cents worth. I would like to base this build on what happens on this thread. I also apologize for another damn 1776 thread. Andy.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a stab at it, AS41 case drilled and tapped for full flow, agree on the crank, get a set of stock rods with upgraded bolts, mahle forged P&C's, cam.......Engle W110 with Engle lifters, DRD L3 heads with match ported intakes, 1.25 rockers, DRLA 36 or 40's,1 1/2 merged headers (with heat if he cry's) compression 8.5:1, ACNets hd alu pushrods,Bosch 019 distributor, german blue coil, berg linkage, 26mm oil pump, all the german tins except for the 36 style shroud.

Get a Scat shroud from Awesome powder coat set up for using the stock thermostat flaps

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
I'll have a stab at it, AS41 case drilled and tapped for full flow, agree on the crank, get a set of stock rods with upgraded bolts, mahle forged P&C's, cam.......Engle W110 with Engle lifters, DRD L3 heads with match ported intakes, 1.25 rockers, DRLA 36 or 40's,1 1/2 merged headers (with heat if he cry's) compression 8.5:1, ACNets hd alu pushrods,Bosch 019 distributor, german blue coil, berg linkage, 26mm oil pump, all the german tins except for the 36 style shroud.

Get a Scat shroud from Awesome powder coat set up for using the stock thermostat flaps

Thank you. No heat required. 10-4 on the shroud and stat. Any flywheel suggestions? Who's 1.25:1 rockers? Cam / Crank gears? Bearings? Would you get a Berg prepped AS41 case? Maybe Glenn will part with a 019. Thanks again.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a 1776 for a customer last October. He drives it about 75-80 miles a day and I couldnt get him to drive it nice for the first 500. He drives it all over the place. Steve Tims stage 1 40x35 match ported to 40 dells, cbperf straightcuts, Scat c45 cam, Bugpack forged 1.25s, manton lifters, rebuilt stock rods, AA 90.5s, 69mm dpr crank, scat lifters, melling oil pump, ss braided full flow set up, 1.5 deep dump, @ 9.2 cr. He requested a longblock broken in by me and wanted to put together the top half himself. Crated the block and dialed his carbs and he drives it everywhere .....fast.

C45 is close to a w120. That would be a nice build for u imo and his. Lol.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
I just built a 1776 for a customer last October. He drives it about 75-80 miles a day and I couldnt get him to drive it nice for the first 500. He drives it all over the place. Steve Tims stage 1 40x35 match ported to 40 dells, cbperf straightcuts, Scat c45 cam, Bugpack forged 1.25s, manton lifters, rebuilt stock rods, AA 90.5s, 69mm dpr crank, scat lifters, melling oil pump, ss braided full flow set up, 1.5 deep dump, @ 9.2 cr. He requested a longblock broken in by me and wanted to put together the top half himself. Crated the block and dialed his carbs and he drives it everywhere .....fast.

C45 is close to a w120. That would be a nice build for u imo and his. Lol.

The Steve Tims Heads were highly recommended on most 1776 build post. I'm kinda on the fence over CR. I don't know whats best either lower or higher?
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, do you let the head supplier also mate your P&C's? Does the case supplier need to see the heads and P&C's? Is there a common group of parts that need to matched instead of everything coming from all directions?
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of wrist pin retainers are favored nowadays? Spiral?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get crank, flywheel AND rods from DPR, balanced

Having done this, any clips will work, the stock ones or tru-arc, you need a lot of RPMS and/or crappy parts to unhook the clips, you should have neither problem
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Get crank, flywheel AND rods from DPR, balanced

Having done this, any clips will work, the stock ones or tru-arc, you need a lot of RPMS and/or crappy parts to unhook the clips, you should have neither problem

Thanks Modok. This sounds perfect and that's what I will do. This issue is settled.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying the rods crank and flywheel from dpr as a set is great advice. I had the rods already but did get the crank and lightened flywheel from Jose. The cr has to be determined by cam, head choice and driving intent. Basically your combo.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: