Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics of Westy with GoWesty zero lift springs?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Pics of Westy with GoWesty zero lift springs? Reply with quote

anybody?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bueller?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, who is Bueller? There is a "Bueller" Samba member that has not been in this forum since 2006

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/KS6f1MKpLGM

Link

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know anyone with them.
And I know a few van owners.
Ask GW, they should have some.
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some going in within the next couple weeks; will try to remember to post back here. Decided to try to fix the Westy lean and, well, just replace springs since they're 25 years old.
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to get a set of new springs and shocks for my 87 Westy. I upgraded the stock 14" wheels to 15" last year, and now ready for springs and shocks. What set up do you recommen?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why GW doesn't come out with a 1" lift spring. I don't want to look like a wannabe syncrow. I just want to go a little higher w/o spacers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K58 wrote:
I wonder why GW doesn't come out with a 1" lift spring. I don't want to look like a wannabe syncrow. I just want to go a little higher w/o spacers.

Probably because it is so easy to do with spacers.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma'ili Pt Westy,
Try and make it to "Suspension Van" this Saturday at Pt Richmond.. unless it pours buckets, there should be a dozen vans there to discuss all the options for 2WD.. and even a syncro or three will be there to show what can be done on the rear end (common to 2WD).

Check the thread on the front page here.. or in The Vanagon GTG stickies.

Altoona wrote:
K58 wrote:

Probably because it is so easy to do with spacers.

Stock ride height springs can be had fom Bus Depot, last time I checked... which might bring an old van back up 1/2" or so.

The old syncor.org sprigns were about 1" lift. Don't know what he has brewing on his promised new run. May find out on Saturday.

But GW is the only outfit providing "progressives".

All these options have pros and cons..

I replaced my springs because I was redoing everything else below.. seemed like a common sense thing to replace the old springs, too. Kept the old ones, though. Stored. ..just in case.

But there are so many other fallout issues in making these changes..

The cons of "spacers only" is that it is mostly a cosmetic fix. Easy and cheap, yes.. but does not solve the problem of worn 20+yr old springs or uneven/inconsistent springs.

A 1" spacer also moves the top of the spring down from where it is designed to sit.. That moves the forces applied further down the housing structrue.

I have not heard of failure there, cept one particular photo showing the bump stop tube broken off in the rear (and no one had facts on how that happened.. only that it obviously sheered).. I have a 3/4" temporary spacer in the rear right now.. And I am not thrilled with the fix as a permanent "lift"

I need to sort some top of fender well clearance issues (29" tires).. and will install 5/8" spacers in the front, shortly. (before summer time dirt roads)
Once I get the fender lips "adjusted" I'll go back to the regular ride height from the syncor.org springs.

Over all, if I were after a true lift..
I'd much rather cut the front end suspension hangers at certain points and put in true spacers.. Blocks that move the entire steering structure down 1" (or whatever). This would help maintain steering geometry, as well. Keep the lifted van within a manageable alignment spec.

The rear? similar.. but I am in no rush.. There are some products in the works by some of the more performance oriented fabricators out there.. And I am looking forward to seeing what we can do with non-Vanagon type rear springs. Swivel perches which allow use of other springs without the pinch coil necessary to seat in the Vanagon OEM setup.

Fun and interesting stuff.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - springs are in but no pics yet. Didn't have camera handy and can't get a picture while the van's in the garage but I will and post here soon. While I changed wheels/tires at the same time - I would say the "zero lift" springs gave the van at least an inch of added lift, probably closer to 1 1/2". I can't be exactly sure because while these tires are slightly smaller than what came off the van they sit a little higher because they are properly rated and don't flex the sidewall and reduce the overall tire height as much. Unfortunately I didn't do before and after measurements to the fenders.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN99 wrote:
Quick update - springs are in but no pics yet. Didn't have camera handy and can't get a picture while the van's in the garage but I will and post here soon. While I changed wheels/tires at the same time - I would say the "zero lift" springs gave the van at least an inch of added lift, probably closer to 1 1/2". I can't be exactly sure because while these tires are slightly smaller than what came off the van they sit a little higher because they are properly rated and don't flex the sidewall and reduce the overall tire height as much. Unfortunately I didn't do before and after measurements to the fenders.

What kind of van do you have? Westy, tintop, other?
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altoona wrote:

What kind of van do you have? Westy, tintop, other?

It's an 87 Westy
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN99 wrote:

Hi

any updates with pics and ride height measurements?

JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this. I don't have a great picture but this is the best I have at the moment with the new GW zero lift springs. I'll post measurements later. These did not completely correct the Westy lean (side to side or front to rear) though did improve it over the orig springs and I wanted to replace them regardless due to their age and the weight they've been carrying all these years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does is ride/handle with the new springs installed?
Would you do it again? Van looks sharp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill Smile

The ride is definitely firm now but I attribute A LOT of that to properly rated and properly inflated Nokian Tires (205/70 15XL Entyre rated at 100T currently at 49psi front, 51psi rear). It's a little harsh on rough pavement and abrupt bumps, ruts, holes, etc. However, the previous tires made the van feel squishy and it liked to wander some. Now it tracks and handles much better, which I prefer even with the somewhat harsh ride.

Would I do it again? I'm not so sure about the springs, especially since most of the lean is still present and I'd hoped that would be corrected with the new springs. Then again, I figure it's probably not a bad idea to replace 25 year old springs anyway. I have no real complaints but would say this setup may be a little too harsh and changing something in the mix would yield a better ride and I may play around with a little lower psi to get it softened up a bit. A lot was changed at once though. The rear shocks were done last year by the P.O. I added the springs, front shocks, wheels and tires.

For those interested here are the measurements. As I mentioned above, I don't have "before" measurements but can clearly see an increase of 1 - 1.5" if not more based on clearance to my garage door. These are all +/- 1/16th.

Front left: 17 7/16
Front right: 17 15/16

Rear left: 16 13/16
Rear right: 17 3/16
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a 3/8 inch spacer for the left rear and see if it does it. Might need a 1/2.

But that only levels the rear. You need spacers on both sides to make it level front to back.

How's the alignment?

At approaching about 17 1/2 inches all around, I am not sure you can call them zero lift, I think.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN99 wrote:
I'm not so sure about the springs, especially since most of the lean is still present and I'd hoped that would be corrected with the new springs.

Springs aren't going to magically even out the weight distribution of your van.

r39o wrote:
At approaching about 17 1/2 inches all around, I am not sure you can call them zero lift, I think.

What were the new, from factory measurements?
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Make a 3/8 inch spacer for the left rear and see if it does it. Might need a 1/2.

That's what I'm thinking - one spacer in the left rear and call it done. I don't care if it's not perfectly level, just get a little closer and I've read here that some folks have had decent luck getting the van level or close to level all around with just a single spacer in the left rear.

Altoona wrote:
Springs aren't going to magically even out the weight distribution of your van.

Nope, but there are plenty of level Westies out there with no spacers so I attribute most of the lean then to aging/sagging springs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: