Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inexpensive robust field improvised locking storage
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Inexpensive robust field improvised locking storage Reply with quote

I don't have pictures of the finished product. They went with my Jeep when I sold it years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

+

If you remove the rubber cover from the female side of that lock you will find two casting bosses. drill and tap for 10-32. tap a third hole on the flat area.

saber saw or plasma cut a hole shaped like the back side of the lock,

drill the ammo can where the lock is tapped and screw the lock down with the hole centered behind the hole on the flap. the handle will lie flat with the rubber cover off.

Recommended optional extra: fabricate a cover for the 3/16" bail, so a thief can't cut though those

drop boy half into girl half.

et voila: Inexpensive robust field improvised locking storage.

Hangun safe variation:

Hoffman junction box: ( scrounge a used one - unbelievably expensive )

note that there is a false floor in there. plenty of room for the back side of the female half.

orient the girl as necessary to hold the guns in a way that allows you to open the cylinder or rack the slide to show Officer Stick Up His Ass that the guns are unloaded. you can get half a dozen full size handguns in the bottom, and four compact carry guns on the lid.

you will note that there are two flat full length mounting tabs. I made rails that overlapped those tabs by putting 1" flat straps on top of 1/2" straps. I locked the box into my Jeep by putting a forged steel seat belt eyebolt in the fender and one in the back of the box.

you can put a Medeco camlock on the long side,

or eight around the box if you are wealthy and paranoid.

I set mine up so you there was always an unused lock covered up by another gun. A clever thief could deduce that there was one more gun somewhere to come after him with.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse my stupidity but what is this for?

I take it to lock up some guns or what have you but do you bolt it into a vehicle? wouldn't a thief just take the whole box?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's for locking things up. in my experience you never have enough locking storage in an off road vehicle.

somebody asked about locking radio storage. I provided a generic answer in a new thread.

I bolted them to the roll bar. had one for cameras, one for ammo, one for ham radios.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ammo boxes came with a bigger hole on the latch plate. I just put half a simple hasp on it with a padlock. Latch plate can't swing up. I keep wrenches 7-21, 3/8 rachet 10-19, few pairs of pliers, couple screwdrivers, and a multitester in it.

Same thing on other side has some different tapes, brake fluid, oil, and some extra cv bolts.
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: