Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘66 Project build on a budget
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotrdvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 66 owner and will follow the thread, good luck! What is your estimated budget?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrdvw wrote:
I am a 66 owner and will follow the thread, good luck! What is your estimated budget?

Hi hotrdvw! Thanks for the well wishes! From projects past, I can't really put a realistic budget estimate out there. I always end up spending way more than I think I would. I plan on taking one step at a time and trying to save as much money as I can without compromising a decent quality job. This will by no means be a show car, but mainly a solid driver that I can cruise around in on the weekends.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:
Never seen one of those before but is sure is cool. Where can someone buy one?

If I'm not mistaken, someone used to make these and sold them for around $300, but doesn't make them anymore. You can rent one off TS classifieds for about $30, but be ready to pay a hefty security deposit that's refunded after it's returned in satisfactory condition.

That might be something worth making looks pretty simple.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Pepper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the smell of rust and chicken poo in the morning! Reminds me of the seats I pulled at a junkyard to put in my '66. On a warm day the fragrance still wafts...

Looks like a great start for $400. I'll be watching your thread, too!
Per Gary, A.K.A. "Purple dress girl")
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new Pic's or updates, there's gotta be something?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Pepper wrote:
Ah, the smell of rust and chicken poo in the morning!

Isn't that a quote from Apocolypse Now?? Laughing

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Any new Pic's or updates, there's gotta be something?

My project's moving at a snail's pace. I'm in the process of getting bids on a 20 X 25 concrete slab poured in my back yard that'll serve as my work area. I'm going to put one of those metal carports on the slab. I didn't realize how expensive the slab was going to be! I'm contemplating doing the forms and rebar myself, even though I've never done a job that big. It's the floating & screeding process that I'm concerned about!

I've just finished removing the bumpers, fenders, and running boards. Not too exciting so I didn't post pictures. Hopefully soon! Thanks for the interest!

Dave
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on, later on your gonna be mad for not taking pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of an update on progress (on the bug itself), but I finally got a carport put up in my back yard where I'll be working on my project. The concrete slab I had wanted to have poured first was just way out of my budget for now. I figure I'll have one poured within the carport frame when the time comes. For now, I just have to wait for the weather to get to a working temperature - it's been over 110 degrees for about the past week!

Here's my back yard before the carport:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Being put up by Carolina Carports:

Here she sits, in her new 18 X 21 home...

Until next time!

Dave
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carport looks nice... no garage here either.
I always cringe when I hear reports of hail in the area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCdad wrote:
Carport looks nice... no garage here either.
I always cringe when I hear reports of hail in the area.

Darn right! I kept my '66 parked in my main carport (attached to the house) while I waited on this carport. Meanwhile my 2002 Chevy p/u was left outside and has gotten hailed on pretty good! LOL Laughing

OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Haven't had a lot of time to do work on my project, but I had the opportunity to borrow a hinge removal tool (Thanks John!!) to remove the passenger side hinge pin to put a mirror there, so I took about 20 minutes to get it removed. I had to soak the hinge pin good by spraying it with Kroil Oil for about a week straight, once or twice a day.

Here's the hinge removal tool and its accessories (steel pins in assorted sizes.)

Here's what my hinge/hinge pin looked like before removal.

that Tool is so great to have, My dad Has one. Just make sure you grease it Up when your using it.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalinAz wrote:
that Tool is so great to have, My dad Has one. Just make sure you grease it Up when your using it.

Actually I borrowed it from a buddy, but yes, it's pretty handy! I tried every other way to get the hinge pin out before I used this tool.
64airball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project, subscribing to keep an eye on you (aka steal ideas)
Gnarlyleech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this project. Keep it going dude.

My 1966 Beetle Project Thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520182
Gnarlyleech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are things going bud? It is finally starting to cool off down here. Well, not cool but it has gone from being "ass blistering hot" to "not too hot to go outside". How much did that carport run you?

My 1966 Beetle Project Thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520182
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to admit, but I haven't done a freaking thing to my project in several weeks, largely due to the heat. It's still averaging about 106 degrees here, but they're talking about cooler days starting in a week or so. The next step will be to build a dolly for the body to sit on while I replace both pan halves. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there aren't any major rust issues with the heater channels but that remains to be seen once the body is off.

Because I paid $100 more to get an extra 2 feet in height on the carport, I ended up paying just over eight bills with tax for it. I think it's a good investment because of the crazy weather we have in Texas.

Cheers!
Dave
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much of an update...just finished building my body dolly in preparation for removing the body. This should give me enough room to wheel the pan in & out from underneath while the body sits on the dolly. Just thought I'd document pics of it. Will update progress when I can.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to getting the body removed from the pan with the help of my father-in-law, my wife and her sister (luckily 2 strong gals!). The pan gasket gave me a little bit of trouble, but it ended up seeing things my way. Next is some clean up, pan replacement, brake system overhaul, etc. Just about everything you'd expect needs to be replaced after sitting for several years. At this rate, it won't be on the road for at least a year...

Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a soft spot for 66s, my first VW was one. Bought it for $400( in 1978) stuck in 4th gear, solid body and inteior. Saddly no pictures that I can find of it. Man I learned alot about VWs with that car, good luck with yours. Smile
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I have a soft spot for 66s, my first VW was one. Bought it for $400( in 1978) stuck in 4th gear, solid body and inteior. Saddly no pictures that I can find of it. Man I learned alot about VWs with that car, good luck with yours. Smile

Thanks BB!

Funny coincidence regarding my bug. I was talking to one of the delivery drivers that picks up shipment where I work, telling him about my '66 project..and it turns out the bug used to belong to his father-in-law who passed away in 2002! Although I already went through the ordeal of getting a title for it (before I started sinking money into it), he's going to see if the guy's daughter (who sold it) has any paperwork or pictures of it, and if she knows the history of why it was parked to begin with. It apparently sat for over 20 years, and this guy thinks it was because it's owner got too old to drive... If I get pics, I'll share them on here. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: