Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

‘66 Project build on a budget
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCBeier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of sound barrier ? I was thinking about bed liner, has anyone done or heard of using bed liner?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525849&highlight=stute

http://stutethewonderbug.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCBeier wrote:
what kind of sound barrier ? I was thinking about bed liner, has anyone done or heard of using bed liner?

I've heard that bedliner isn't recommended. I believe because it's messy, it smells, and can be costly. I'm torn between 2 kinds of sound barriers. I know Eastwood sells a good sound barrier, but it's pretty expensive. I saw this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TGIinpKFg where they use something called "Quick Roof" which is pretty cheap at Home Depot that I may end up using, being that saving $ is always a major factor if I want to finish my project in this lifetime...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 70 was done with a spray on bedliner product called Hippo Liner. Then I used half inch carpet backing/insulation on top of that. They make do it yourself roll on kits now that are a fraction of the cost.
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used fat mat on our build. Works great and was cheap.

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
Axle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Fat Mat in my '64. good stuff, and not too expensive
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the best place to find that Fat Mat stuff? I'd like to do some research & see what it may cost me. Thanks
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got it on ebay, might have been amazon.
Atx67beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportin, nice thread! It looks like we are around the same spot in our projects. I'm going to start a thread on my build soon. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread, see if I can borrow some ideas. Thanks for the good info so far!

And a belated welcome to TX!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axle wrote:
I think I got it on ebay, might have been amazon.

Cool, thanks. I'll definitely check it out!

Atx67beetle wrote:
Sportin, nice thread! It looks like we are around the same spot in our projects. I'm going to start a thread on my build soon. I'm going to keep an eye on your thread, see if I can borrow some ideas. Thanks for the good info so far!

And a belated welcome to TX!

Thanks Atx67beetle! I hope to make some good progress before we get hit with the blistering Texas weather like we get. Looking forward to seeing your build thread as well - as you can see, it's a great way to get helpful input from other TS members! Smile

Last edited by sportin-wood on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took advantage of the 85 degree weather and worked on my bug.

I bought 2 quarts of POR15 - 1 of glossy gray and 1 of glossy black.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I first used Dynatron seam sealer for a good seal all the way around. This stuff was very easy to use and dried fairly quickly.

Next step after cleaning the pan surface and removing dust and debris was to POR15 the pans gray. I had read a good tip on one of the forums, where you paint the first coat gray:

Then once that dries, you apply the 2nd coat in black so that you know you've covered all necessary areas.

I may get crap for not removing the tunnel tar board, but it's in really good shape, and I'm not going for the show car results anyway. I'll try to do the same steps on the bottom side tomorrow....wait, that's Easter Sunday! So hopefully soon......
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sportinwood for the post....I have a 68 that i will be starting this summer .I have been reading build threads in several forums and yours was the first to mention the grey paint then black paint trick....could have used that when i did my 69 bus...keep up the good work and watch out for that texas heat. Laughing ...I have an air conditioned garage Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good! Don’t be afraid to do stuff your self especially after pulling the body and doing pans. You can do it. If you have any questions I’ve been through the whole process including window seals just IM me. Like you I’m no pro but have figured it out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Thanks sportinwood for the post....I have a 68 that i will be starting this summer .I have been reading build threads in several forums and yours was the first to mention the grey paint then black paint trick....could have used that when i did my 69 bus...keep up the good work and watch out for that texas heat. Laughing ...I have an air conditioned garage Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

Wow - a/c in the garage! NICE! I'm hoping within the next year or two I'll find a new house with the necessary "accomodations" for my obsession...err, uh...I mean hobby! Wink

EA812 wrote:
Lookin good! Don’t be afraid to do stuff your self especially after pulling the body and doing pans. You can do it. If you have any questions I’ve been through the whole process including window seals just IM me. Like you I’m no pro but have figured it out

Thanks EA812 - I have had experience years ago with window seals on a '63 project I had, but I sure don't remember there being as many problems as I've noticed others have with either the front or rear windows or the vent wing/door windows! I might hit you up with an IM when the time comes...
Gnarlyleech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are taking advantage of all these cold fronts. You'll miss it when its gone. I'm headed outside to do some tie rod repairs. Your floor pans look great.

My 1966 Beetle Project Thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=520182
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarlyleech wrote:
I hope you are taking advantage of all these cold fronts. You'll miss it when its gone. I'm headed outside to do some tie rod repairs. Your floor pans look great.

Thanks, man. Right now the progress is on hold. Have to get a deck built in my back yard that's taking all of my time. I hope to start again on my project soooon!
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

It's looking great. I've been away for a while. Like you, I'm on another home project (gigantic porch enclosure/bird aviary), so mine's on hold as well. It's looking like late Fall for being on the road.

Keep at it and I will too!!

Moto

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
Madd Maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW-

I'm new to the forum. I too have a long slow road ahead of me. I've enjoyed reading about your project. I'm going to need all the helpful hints I can find. Keep 'em coming & keep up the good work!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565565&highlight=1960

Wanted: 1960 truck lid & rear fenders
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Took advantage of the 85 degree weather and worked on my bug.

I bought 2 quarts of POR15 - 1 of glossy gray and 1 of glossy black.

I first used Dynatron seam sealer for a good seal all the way around. This stuff was very easy to use and dried fairly quickly.

Next step after cleaning the pan surface and removing dust and debris was to POR15 the pans gray. I had read a good tip on one of the forums, where you paint the first coat gray:

Then once that dries, you apply the 2nd coat in black so that you know you've covered all necessary areas.

I may get crap for not removing the tunnel tar board, but it's in really good shape, and I'm not going for the show car results anyway. I'll try to do the same steps on the bottom side tomorrow....wait, that's Easter Sunday! So hopefully soon......

I hope you stripped the primer off of the pans first. I used por15 on my wolfsburg west pans a few years back the same way you explained and it peeled a year later...what a mess!

sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm done with por 15, going back to rustoleum. I had the same thing happen with some por 15 I applied to bare metal. Peeled right off and was rusting underneath!!!!! Bad prep??? I used metal ready that came with the por 15 kit. All the rusto I've applied is still in great shape, no rust underneath, no peeling, very durable.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't strip the pans down to bare metal, I did scuff them up really good with a medium grit sandpaper, so I feel confident that it'll hold.

Sorry I haven't had any progress to my thread. Lots of home improvements have gotten in the way as I'm getting ready to put my house up for sale. Hoping to find a new house with an enclosed shop for my project so that I can work on it in all kinds of weather. Don't give up watching, guys & gals! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: