Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Blinker help
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have no operating blinkers or hazard signals in my 73. Not even sure where to start TS the issue. Anyone have some pointers of where to start and a logical process to ID the issue?
Many thanks! Shocked
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Without background on if they were working and suddenly stopped, they were never working, something was changed or any other details, I'll make the assumption that all was working and it stopped. Also assuming battery is good, bulbs are good and the car otherwise runs.
Seeing that both of them are not working, I would start with the flasher relay. Between pin 49 or + and 31, you should measure a few ohms. If it measures open/infinite, replace the relay.
If that is good, check the grounds. The flasher relay terminal 31 should have a brown wire going to a ground terminal behind the instrument panel. You can use a volt/ohmmeter to verify.
Check fuses 1 (turn signal) and 10 (flashers).

The diagrams below will help with fuse positions, wire colors and how it all connects.

Fuse Layout
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Fuse_Block_Wiring_Detail.pdf
Wiring Diagram
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf
Current Flow
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.pdf

Good luck
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Thanks. You assumptions are good I think though the have never worked.
Checked the flasher, appears good. Ground from 39 is good. Still no joy.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

tracing back on the emergency flasher switch - check for 12V at terminal 30 red/black wire on the flasher switch.
If not go to Fuse 10 and check for 12V on the red/black wire, if not the red/white wire on the other side of the fuse which comes from terminal 30 on the light switch which goes to terminal 30 on the starter solenoid.

If you have 12V at terminal 30 on the flasher switch, check for 12V on the + when the switch is out. That is also terminal 49 or + on the flasher relay.
If not 12V, replace the flasher switch

With the key on, flasher switch off, you should have 12V at terminal 15 of the flasher relay and on the +. if not replace the flasher switch

Let us know the results.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Thanks. Blew the red fuse when I turned on the hazard switch. Now I know why it was removed! Confused
What next?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

lawryrg wrote:
Thanks. Blew the red fuse when I turned on the hazard switch. Now I know why it was removed! Confused
What next?

Don't want to distract you but the only place there should be a red (16A) fuse is on the #9 position. All other positions should have white (8A) fuses.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Concur. New owners discovery!
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Concur. New owners discovery!
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Well you have a short somewhere or something is wired wrong. Shorts are a PITA
Is Fuse 1 in place and if not and you put the correct fuse in there does it blow too? Key on and try the blinker. I'm guessing the fuse blows but may be able to isolate it to left or right side.
Do the brake lights and parking lights work?
Headlights?
Disconnect the battery. you don't want to accidentally short something while looking around.
Looking for the obvious - any burnt, dark looking or frayed wires on the headlight switch, flasher switch, flasher relay?
Make sure the terminals and wires aren't touching on any of the switches

Check the wiring diagrams and verify the correct colored wires go to the correct terminals. Assuming the original wiring is in place.
Pull all the turn signal bulbs and start working backwards from them one at a time using the ohm meter to find where the short is.
You'll need to use the wiring diagrams and disconnect the wires from various points to isolate the issue.
I usually try to split the circuits in 1/2 and isolate the short to one side or the other of the split and then keep splitting it in 1/2 until you track it down.
L and R on the flasher switch is a good place to start as is the connector for the turn signals on the steering column.

I haven't had to track down any shorts on my Thing, just an incorrectly wired circuit.
You could get lucky and find something obvious or it may take a while to find where the issue is.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Thanks. The running lights, headlights and brake lights all work. Only the blinkers and Hazards are inop. I think first I'll go through the connections on both HL and HZ switches; clean and reconnect IAW the wiring diagram while looking for evidence of a short.
I've read that the hazard switches can become inop due to age and cause this sort of issue. Perhaps changing both switches for good measure?
Many thanks!
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

One thing I learned from a similar issue when I bought mine - remember that the ground wires in our cars are brown, not black like most cars today.

When I bought my car they couldn't get the turn signals to stop blowing fuses, turns out the mechanics at the shop I bought it from were connecting the black wire to ground in one of the front fenders. Swapped for the brown wire and that solved it for me.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

Thanks, good to know.
lawryrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Blinker help Reply with quote

TS continues on the Thing Blinkers. Cleaned and checked the Hazard sw connections. Found burnt black wire and repaired it. Still no blinkers but..

-Connected a 12v light to terminals on fuse 1 (which is the one blowing) and turned on the hazards.
-The blinker relay buzzes and instrument panel turn indicator blinks, just not lights on any blinker.

Still have a short to ground somewhere. Checking blinker wires now..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: