Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with upgrade to 15 inch tires and wheels, PLEASE!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously consider changing out the steering rack bushings to poly once you have the tires figured out. They help greatly on keeping you predictably in control with cross winds or a semi buzzing past you. They are a noticeable and cheap improvement part.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1201083
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jon_slider"]

Quote:
If youre getting passed by semi's now, I dont think you would be happy on a 215x75x15 BFG AT KO, which are 9% oversized, with a stock motor.

Oh, I'm not getting passed by semi's due to lack of power but because in 75 mph states I'd still prefer to go 65-70 Wink

EDIT: One of these days I'll get this whole quoting business right...

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville

Last edited by childofthewind on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Seriously consider changing out the steering rack bushings to poly once you have the tires figured out. They help greatly on keeping you predictably in control with cross winds or a semi buzzing past you. They are a noticeable and cheap improvement part.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1201083

Thank you for this... damn.. so much to learn.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I'm taking it all in...

With all the $$ put into pre-trip work and the money I need to spend on new tires no matter what size, I think for now I'm going to stick with 14's, prolly get the BFG's or back to Hancooks. And I'll deflate on sketchy roads.. or just walk to those places.

Jeffrey, thanks for the tire offer.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFGs will cost you a little MPG due to the tread design. You won't need to deflate them when you hit the dirt depending on how nasty it gets though. That is the trade off.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroDoka, good call on the steering rack bushings. I'd forgotten about those and their contribution to instability. Those are a good candidate to change out, and if you have the bushings aboard and pass through Idaho on 1-90 I'll do it for you free since I figured out a way to do them fast.

Regards,
Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I just wonder if she has something else going on. If the front suspension and alignment were recently attended to, yet the van veers and yaws from truck turbulence and she's on good, correct stout tires? Hmmmmm..... DougM

Could very well be.

Centuries ago I drove with stock springs and shocks with new BFG's (205/75) on 15" steel rims. Was always getting slammed by passing semis, especially on two-lane highways coming the opposite direction, and really getting pounded by cross-winds in S. Idaho/Utah/Wyoming/Nebraska (skylight cracked).

Did the usual upgrades later - stronger springs, shocks and Nokians. Now only get slight buffeting at the most -- usually not a screamer. Except for those 60-80 mph erratic crosswinds ... also like in the Mojave ... nothing to do but slow down (some speed up) or rest-stop, squeeze a drink and wait.

In Pdx we have the nearby Columbia Gorge wind-tunnel test Shocked

Have never visited the steering components yet but feel they are also due and could even upgrade the performance even more.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
Except for those 60-80 mph erratic crosswinds ... also like in the Mojave
I've never seen anything like the Mojave! Right where they have the warning signs about the wind, a crosswind damn near ripped my pop top clean off, ripped a corner of the tent when it actually bent a corner back. I actually used rachet tiedown straps through the front windows to hold it down.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat...

I agree to get shocks first though. I just changed out the shocks and although my shocks looked fine (no leaking) and no real boucing of the vehicle, once I took them off I realized how ineffective they were. I was able to push and pull them with no real effort. I just had an inspection and the shop said they were fine. I replaced them with the inexpensive Monroe Magnum HD's and in the few miles I have had them on, I can tell a big difference.

I need new tires now as the present ones are not proper and are cracking. Shopping for tires is a chore. Evaluating the pro's and con's of tires and matching the percentage of different driving conditions with tire options is tough. I think I am leaning toward Nokians. I have a set of benz 15" wheels to put them on and with the endorsements of Nokians it seems like a no-brainer.

good luck!
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the 195/14" BFG is the way I would go. I've had great success with them over the years in the 27" size, but they don't make them anymore. Keeping the slightly smaller size tire will not change the way the van drives. You can't beat the BFG for waer and traction in my opinion.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides Shocks, I agree steering rack bushings helped tighten up my steering a LOT!

fwiw, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS is available in 195/R14 106/104S

Fantastic tire, no need to change rims. FAR superior in snow to any of the others mentioned. Works great on dirt, quieter on highway than BFG, and has stiffer sidewalls.. I doubt you will be doing any wallowing on these, if properly inflated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to the OP, what is the max load and max inflation on your tire, and what inflation have you been using?
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heho Luka,

Hmm... 49 replies and a 3 page thread in 24 hours, not bad. Wink

I see why you are still going in circles. Lots of advice here from some solid samba folks, some of it contradictory.

You like it simple. Needless complexity and cost, financial or otherwise, does not suit you. With that in mind...

The main issue smokes to be handing. Address it first.

Look at the shocks. If they are original, change them; they need it.
Steering rack bushings are pretty cheap and easy to install, as well as the steering column gasket thingie mentioned above.

Do this first, then drive some two lane roads with truck traffic and see if you still getting tossed around. If no, you are done. If yes, then look at new tires.

Also... What's the tread wear on your current tires? If they have a lot of life, I say stick with them.

What are they inflated to? Changing the psi, esp between front and rear, may help.

As mentioned above, buying an off road tire for your almost all pavement driving would be a mistake.

And re tires, I really like my Nokian WRC 15" from van cafe.

Good luck with all this, let us know how it turns out.

CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
fwiw, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS is available in 195/R14 106/104S

According to Van-Cafe

******As of Jan 2012, word from Nokian is this tire is now discontinued and will not be made again. If anything changes, we will update info here******
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
conchyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have several 4wd vehicles in the past, and always had good luck with BFG tires. Now that I have a vanagon, I will probably go with them again.

However, I would have to agree with the recommendations to check your steering/suspension before doing tires. I just bought an '82 air cooled tin top and drove it all the way from Oceanside to Santa Cruz, getting passed loads Rolling Eyes

Never had it sway, or do anything freaky in the wind. But, it is also a 2 owner, garaged and fully maintained vehicle. It probably drives better than new, and is very car like in handling, especially on the twisty bits!

I'm using the std steel wheels and 185r14 tires at the moment, but will be changing to 195/75r14s when I can afford it. I'm only doing so to get a little more clearance for remote camping. Otherwise, I'd just air down the current tires and use a little common sense. You can go surprisingly far totally stock, if you're careful, and conscious.

one tire no one has mentioned is the Goodyear AT

My girlfriend runs these on the rear of her van, and takes it all the way to San Carlos, Baja a few times a year( - sometimes alone Shocked ) They seem to be pricey on the website, but she got her latest pair for $100 ea locally...?

anyway, I also like to keep my van simple, and close to stock as possible. I don't really see the need to get a super aggressive tire for simple jaunts down fire roads.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conchyjoe wrote:
...I'm using the std steel wheels and 185r14 tires at the moment, but will be changing to 195/75r14s when I can afford it. I'm only doing so to get a little more clearance for remote camping. .

The 185r14 is a tiny bit taller than a 195/75-14. I like to look at sizes on the tire rack to compare what will work.

A 215/70-14 is a more readily available size that gives you some more choices. The load rating is bit low at 96, but as long as you get a 44psi tire in that size, and keep the pressure above 35 it is fine. probably about as stable as a C load 185R because it is wider.
conchyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

The 185r14 is a tiny bit taller than a 195/75-14

i keep hearing/reading that but when I put my 185 tire next to my girl's 195s, hers are bigger... Embarassed

?

i know from my 4wd days that some brand "sizes" vary so maybe that's the case... anyway, yeah, if the size you recommend is available, in a decent load rating, I'll go with that. I just don't want to go all the way to 27" when I don't really need it...

thanks!
conchyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=F...;tab=Sizes

a friend at work has these on his 4 runner and has been raving about them. He goes fishing in some remote places and says they work well enough in the dirt and light mud. They are indeed quiet on the road, although those things are a little more posh inside than my van...!

anyway, the sizing fall in between the 195s and the 27", load seems ok, so may be worth a look, and the price isn't bad either.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 cents...

I got the 15" wheels from Van Cafe (nice product, now with center caps) and Vredestien Comtrac....
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZNW3jxB/0/S/i-ZNW3jxB-S.jpg

Previously I had the Nokkian Hakka C snow Tire (on the stock 14" steel wheels), and they were great/stable but a bit loud on the highway. Frankly, I realized that I don't drive my Westy in winter in CO (I have a Toyota 4WD beater for that) and did not need anything more than an "all season" tire, and I was going for a smooth/quiet ride. So I upgraded to the 15" wheels, and the 15" Vredestien Comtracs 205/65 offer the same overall height as the stock 14" wheel/tire combo so I don't suffer on the mountain grades here. I really like my wheel/tire combo now, nice quiet and smooth ride and I can still deal with the occasional spring/summer/fall snow storm on CO mountain passes. I even got out of an icy spot going up hill by slightly applying the parking brake.

Earlier than all this wheel tire changing I upgraded my shocks to Bilsteins, and frankly that did not do much at all. I think it was because my stock shocks were still in great shape (only 60k on them then).

In my opinion, the extra 1/2" of width of my Comtrac 15" tires over the Nokian 14" tires is what has made my Westy much better handling, even with wind. 1/2" may not seem like a lot, but it certainly makes a difference.

Final note, with the Van Cafe 15" steel wheels you will need the lug nut kit and a new lug wrench. The center caps are a nice touch. It all adds up but I think Van Cafe offers a great value (no affiliation).

-rog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I would agree that the 195/14" BFG is the way I would go. I've had great success with them over the years in the 27" size, but they don't make them anymore. Keeping the slightly smaller size tire will not change the way the van drives. You can't beat the BFG for waer and traction in my opinion.

Thanks for this... what I need right now are succinct recommendations.

I have decided to stick with 14's. I'd prefer not to go back to the Hancooks as these are pretty shot and honestly were terrible on wet roads (which, living in Oregon and doing a lot of driving through many different climates I experience often).

I will get new shocks (mine are indeed the original) and check the steering thingie.

Question: Do I follow the psi from the sticker on the door jam or the tire itself? I've heard contradicting info regarding this.

If that's the case the sticker does say to have the rear tires more inflated.. which I'm hearing will help me in the windy/highway conditions.

(door sticker says for 185/14 - front 39, 48 rear. For 205/70 14 it says front 30, rear 40)

rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met you at the last GTG at lucky lab(worked at the cadAllic dealership 35 years)anyway i have some brand new monroe sena=trac shaocks i'll give you.if it ever stops rainingg i'll put them on.only takes about 10 minutes a wheel.got them and found out the guy i bought the van from put lifted springs,so i went and got astro shocks for the rear and F-100 shocks for the front.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
Thanks for this... what I need right now are succinct recommendations.

Putting it succinctly ...

For your stated purpose and use (not everybody's favorite tire opinion that works for them) I recommend the Nokians. I'm not tire partisan but after nearly 45 years of driving I've found them to be best handling ice, snow, and rain (hydroplaning) with sufficient sidewall strength to handle loaded vanagon weights and cross-winds. They are designed and made by Finns in Finland for Finns who drive in crappy weather for three seasons (and they know what they're doing in the great outdoors). They are more expensive and sometimes hard to find ... but that's my rec.

For your stated purpose and use I would recommend 15" or even 16" wheels so you can get lower sidewall profile tires (like 60 or 65) that, when combined with the wheels, can be close to overall stock circumference (to the 14" with higher profile sidewalls) and give you much better crosswind handling when traveling between Vermont and the west plus western road tripping between regions.

vermontgirl wrote:
Question: Do I follow the psi from the sticker on the door jam or the tire itself? I've heard contradicting info regarding this.
If that's the case the sticker does say to have the rear tires more inflated.. which I'm hearing will help me in the windy/highway conditions.

The most experienced people I know with vanagons, the ones who have really put them through their paces on expedition and offroad loaded down under all conditions, who have repeatedly tested the vanagon capabilities and limitations, both 4wd and 2wd, are some of the more experienced syncroists. They tend to inflate all four tires to the maximum stamped on the tire for long distance, high speed travel, for greater sidewall strength and crosswind control. This is what I do too. Caution: not for older tires over 6 to 10 years old.

For around town and perhaps quick day trips and etc. you can lower the psi down to your preference --- the psi recommendations on the door stickers are from the 1980's ... @ 20+ years ago ... but tires have changed since then. But you can try those and other combos for comfort. There is not a 'best' concensus on tire psi. Most everyone has their own personal preference that they derived at through personal testing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: