Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric power steering?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Anyone install one in a Vanagon? Or know anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Otmar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Anyone install one in a Vanagon? Or know anyone?

Not a Vanagon, but I've put them in other cars that were converted to electric.

Subaru XT-6 and Toyota MR2 are sources.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67173&postcount=1
There's more in the thread that it came from.
& Dad's old 1965 Transporter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it's what I would have used if my EV didn't have a manual rack.

Oh and Otmar, my Z1K #13 and hairball1 still run perfect! They were installed on my car when I bought it.
busfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Electric steering power Reply with quote

Yep Here in Europ it is allready available Very Happy

http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark de Visser

Better something goods than something nice
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric steering power Reply with quote

busfever wrote:
Yep Here in Europ it is allready available Very Happy

http://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html

That is a nice set up. I would like to add power steering, this would be nice way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a thread about EPS on a UK forum

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that it was only the older Vanagons, with the larger steering wheel that were not factory equipped with power steering. There were non power steering Vanagons with that small wheel? That must be even harder than mine with the big wheel. Are there many of these small steering wheel, non power steering models out there?
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a 4 button golf {rabbit} steering wheel on my last non PS vanagon in the UK

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Unearthing this topic as I inherited from my dad: his 1986 Vanagon is now parked with the Late Bay he bought in 1976. It was converted for disabled driving, auto gearbox, accelerator on the steering wheel, hand activated brakes, a lift to get inside on the wheelchair, and a swivel driver seat to get behind the wheel.

All made so it could be driven without the lower part of the body. Except... that it has no power steering. Had they known it was available, they would have bought the option from VW. And just driving it for 500 miles a few days ago made me realize how much of a hero was my dad to keep driving. The steering is so heavy, especially as the steering wheel had to be replaced by a much smaller one. And he was using it without any abs...

I'd like to install an Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS?) as it seems that it won't break the bank. I noticed that quite a few people made them as a ready to install kit in the UK. Anyone has a favorite? Looks like they all use a Opel/Vauxhall Corsa system. Does the system fit under a LHD dash neatly?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

This link should get you well on your way!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672518&highlight=electric+power+steering

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Thanks! I did some search, but that topic didn't come up!
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

It's the best mod I've done to date! Sorry my photo links are dead. I'll try to find the pics and upload them to the Samba.
Jim
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
It's the best mod I've done to date! Sorry my photo links are dead. I'll try to find the pics and upload them to the Samba.
Jim

The thread may be too old for you to edit.
Post the photos into your account, KAM or I can rebuild it for you if you provide us with clear direction.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

I am working with Dave to upload all my EPS photos to the gallery. In the meantime, you can go here and see what has already been posted on the subject.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=EPS&search_forum%5B%5D=58

I will also add that I have a lathe and a welder. Not sure this mod can be done without these tools (or someone who has them) but I suppose, anything is possible.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Just read the three pages of your topic, very interesting stuff. We're lucky here in Europe that several brits decided to offer a ready to install kit. Looks like they're all sourcing from the same car parts, so maybe there isn't one better than the others. Having read a few things now though, it looks like the best option is to have the EPAS wired to a speed sensor (increases the cost for sure), whilst the less interesting (anyone said dangerous?) is the switch version where you switch it on during parking and off on the road.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Here is a link to all my photos of the Saturn Vue to Vanagon EPS.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Gizmoman&show_results=summary

I bought my unit on e-bay and highly recommend you get one that includes the u-joints and related bits.
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

Such a neat hack!
Did you have to chop out a part of the heater box/pipes? Seems to be the case with the kit sold in the UK and based on a Corsa car.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

pierrox wrote:

I've got the same lift in my Westy, although I rewired it with some reversing solenoids from a snowplow and added a wireless remote. If you ever remove the adaptive equipment, I'd be interested in it.

There are some pictures of my Saturn Vue EPS conversion in Gizmoman's thread.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

In a Westy, that's pretty neat!
I'd like to refurbish the little motors as they're very squeaky, especially the in-out one, the up-down works ok. Back in the days, it had a remote on a wire but that kept getting tangled in places. Ended up installing a second set of switches inside, near the rear of the sliding door, in order to operate the lift from outside.
It's made in California from memory. I still have the manual but google didn't find me anything. It was imported in Germany and that's where my parents found it. Haven't planned to sell it yet, but you seem pretty far from Paris, France !
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering? Reply with quote

I want to add electric power steering to my 1982 Vanagon Westfallia.

I’ve seen a lot of EPS systems online that are reasonably price, but I’m not sure which ones are most compatible. Has anybody compiled a list of which kids and models are known to work with Vanagons?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: