Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4wd into Pop-Top (or) Pop-Top onto 4wd?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: 4wd into Pop-Top (or) Pop-Top onto 4wd? Reply with quote

Hello,

We currently have three cars:

1986 2wd Westy Weekender
1995 4wd Mitsubishi Montero
2001 Saab

We would like to trim it down to two cars. If the Vanagon was a Syncro, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to sell the Montero. But, as it stands, the Montero is my very reliable, willing and able winter vehicle and occasional off-road traveler. And, the Saab is our super-fuel-efficient highway traveler (it's also my wife's pride and joy), so it stays.

We love the pop-top Weekender. We don't want a Syncro full-camper, and a Syncro tin-top doesn't have the camping space we need. I hardly ever see Syncro Weekenders go up for sale (at least not at a reasonable price).

So, here's my question:

Should I keep the Weekender we have and convert it to 4wd? I'll also be looking at replacing the high-mileage engine soon in addition to some minor body-work and new paint. Oh yeah, the interior could use some work too.

Or, do I pick-up a reasonably priced Syncro tin-top that has a stronger running engine and better paint, and put a pop-top on it?

Either conversion I would have done professionally. NorthWesty charges $4500 for pop-top conversions and $5100 + donor for Syncro conversions.

I'm leaning toward selling the 2wd Weekender and going the pop-top-on-a-syncro route since there would be fewer mechanical adaptations.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the Montero and the Westy and buy a Syncro Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you really have to post a question like this on the samba? All other cars must go Shocked VW Logo Grey Vanagon I hope you fulfill your syncro dreams.
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WA is the right place to be... Give North Westy (http://www.kirkmeeks.com) a call and discuss options. They do both swaps, last time I spoke with them they actually prefer to swap Syncro onto a pop-top as opposed to the opposite so you could be in luck. Plan to spend $10k.
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give North Westy a call and get their opinion.
Bilstein Shocks
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for opinions, so I'll give mine.
I would keep them all. Either conversion will cost more than you can reasonably expect to get for your truck. It's nice to have a winter beater, especially if it's realiable. It scares me most to drive my van in the snow because I don't want to get it crunched. If I wreck my much newer truck, it's easily replaceable. I know they are just cars but still.
Actual cost of owning a third vehicle (assuming you have 2 drivers) is pretty cheap.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel modifying roof steel is gunna be easier.

I had replaced the sunroof based roof steel in my gti with a GOLF solid top.. that was a fun warmup.. installed a electric ragtop after that.. I used a die grinder, a drill with rosette cutter, and a dremel.

My preference if I'm gunna do it again, I'd snap up a Syncro van, and frankenstein that sucker..
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the bushings on the Syncro need to be replaced anyway? (this is common on other old cars) -- that might change the calculus a bit
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Either conversion will cost more than you can reasonably expect to get for your truck.

You're right about that! The Montero is only worth about $1600. Plus, it's got new tires. But the next time it needs an $800 repair, I might just have to push it in the lake and call my insurance company Wink.

The thing I like most about converting the Weekender I currently have to a Syncro, is that I could continue to work on and improve other things on the van and have the Syncro conversion be the finishing (albeit expensive) touch.

I don't want a full-camper, so selling everything and buying a Syncro camper is not a preferred option. On the other hand, I frequently see Syncro tin-tops in great shape at a reasonable price. Throw a pop-top on that and I'm good to go. As far as the interior goes, I could care less about the Weekender rear cabinet. All I really want is a table and a jump seat or two.

When it comes to professional installation, the pop-top conversion is less expensive than the Syncro conversion. But, am I comfortable with forever being branded a Westfakia Wink?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. It really comes down to Syncro envy and a desire to get a little farther back some of the Northwest log trails, with that comfortable feeling that nothing will stop me.
Bilstein Shocks
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northwesty put a westfalia poptop on my tintop sycro a couple months ago and it turned out great. I also had them do the big brakes, fuel lines, and decoupler along with a bunch of other small stuff. It was nice getting it all done at one place.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for putting a pop-top on a tin-top syncro. As the proud owner of just such a vehicle, I can say that there is a lot less to screw up going this way since a slight mis-alignment on a pop-top creates no real problems, whereas a slight mis-alignment on a Syncro conversion can spell big problems. Of course, with a professional install, this last comment is not as much of a concern.

Other considerations:

- Syncro owners are more careful/anal about those vehicles, both tin-top and Westy;

- With a running tin-top syncro, you can test drive the expensive parts - - transmission, drive shaft, viscous coupling, front diff, etc.

- Syncro parts for a conversion, by contrast, usually (my assumption here, based on surveying Samba ads) come from a rust bucket syncro, or one that was simply beaten up.

- You can do the pop-top on a syncro in stages if you wish to reduce downtime. Not so with the syncrofication on a Westy.

I found it easy/simple to do my own Westification of a tin-top Syncro, using a method I have not seen anyone else use. A lot of work, but all quite simple work. I had the benefit of having the donor westy (a 2WD rustbucket) at hand, so that simplified things.

I lucked ouit in buying a garage-kept tin-top syncro from the original owner who was meticulous about maintenance. If I told you the price, you'd hate me. If you can find a well-maintained tin-top in your price-range, it's the way to go in my experience.

Also, here's a shameless plug. I have a complete 1987 Westy Weekender interior and pop-top (curtains too!) in very good shape if you want to make me an offer, in which case you could sell your 2WD weekender as-is with no further fuss or need to cannibalize it. I'm in Vancouver BC, so this appears do-able in terms of pick up/delivery.

PM me if interested and we'll talk.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freytag wrote:
Northwesty put a westfalia poptop on my tintop sycro a couple months ago and it turned out great. I also had them do the big brakes, fuel lines, and decoupler along with a bunch of other small stuff. It was nice getting it all done at one place.

Would it be possible to see some pictures? Are there any differences to a factory pop-top that are visible / functionally different? Definitely interested in this setup and the work they did.
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can post a pics of the finished van on Wednesday. It's essentially a 7 passenger Syncro with the Westy pop top and upper bed assembly. I like it because it leaves a lot of room for me to haul stuff. That said, I'm thinking about installing thewesty frig/stove/sink cabinet with an Elec frig and stove run from. 1# bottles. It's going to be interesting to see it evolve. Have a good night.
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should change my signature to 1987 NorthWesty Syncro Very Happy
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of my 2wd to syncro conversion and I don't like body work, so I'd go this route again for sure. Although my son works with me and he'd say the opposite. So are you a mechanic or a body man?
Jeff
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my to disneyworld Very Happy , to hang out with my nieces & nephews. I'll figure out how to post pics next week. Have a good weekend.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id keep the montero
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: syncro Reply with quote

I'm thinking about installing thewesty frig/stove/sink cabinet with an Elec frig and stove run from. 1# bottles. Blue Bay Bus Do a syncro, tin tops are nice. I did this interior in mine, mounts with one bolt. Use the cabinet under sink for water tank and the propane tank. This way I kept the full bed in back. It's nice to have everything in one cabinet. Keep the old 4x4 tell you are done with the syncro then dump it! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed North Westy over the weekend. They suggested keeping the 2wd Weekender and converting it to a Syncro (iliketowalk had mentioned previously that this might be the direction they would choose).

In many ways, this seems like the better way to go. Mainly because I already have the 2wd Weekender, so I can just move forward with what I have. Checking the Samba, Craigslist, SearchTempest, Ebay, AutoTrader, etc every day for a decent-shape and well-priced Syncro is friggin' exhausting! Truth be told, though, I'll probably keep looking anyway ... it's kind of addictive.

Thanks for all the suggestions. One way or another, I'll eventually end up with a Syncro. Smile
Bilstein Shocks
Freytag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I promised you some pics and I'm having problems posting. Northwesty has some pics of the my van and others they have done on their facebook page. Also, I'll be at the syncro fest on Saturday if anyone wants to see the van. Best' Dale
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: