Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backup Camera for Westfalia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

Figured I would shares what seems like a good option/setup for a backup camera/monitor for a Westfalia. Hopefully no more wondering if there is a light pole/car/etc hidden by the cabinets! Smile

Before this install I researched lots of forums about the topic but didn't want to splice into brake lights/drill holes/etc for a hardwired setup.

I came across this Auto-Vox TW1 Truly Wireless Backup Camera that seemed like a good option. Reasonably priced (Amazon had it on sale), had a solar add-on option to charge the battery, and had a decent sized dedicated monitor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The camera mounting holes didn't line up perfectly on the license plate and I was not about to drill out the rivets holding the pull tab in order to make it fit.

I drilled a few holes to essentially lower the license plate bracket and thus the camera mounting fit. Took a few minutes to clean up the door and installed new stainless steel screws/nuts.

The monitor installation could have been straight forward if our Vanagons didn't have an always on 12v Cigarette lighter. Sure I could have spliced in a switch/rewired but I guess I like keeping it as close to original as possible.

I found a neat on/off cigarette plug (of course on Amazon) Ninth-City Cigarette Lighter Extension Cord 12V/24V Car Charger Cable Male Plug to Female Socket with 15A Fuse and LED Lights)

The plug stays in place and I can toggle on/off whenever I want to use the camera. The LED doesn't stay on when it is in the "off" position so I don't think it will put any major drain on the battery system.

I was able to hide the wires under that dash console for a clean look.

So far it seems like a good camera but time will tell. I haven't used it at night but most of the reviews say it does a decent job. (can't be worse than not having it)
Almost as important this project did allow me to confidently order a new rear bumper (see pics above..original owner backed into a pole)

Hope this helps!
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

Garmin offers a wireless back-up camera system that works with most of their newer portable GPS screens. Uses a Bluetooth transmitter to send the video signal to the dash. If you already have a Garmin, this option is available.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

I would probably un fog your Lic plate before you take it out on the streets. The only issue I see is that now tour only power point is occupied.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

Well done. Thanks for posting.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

Color me odd, but why would people obscure their lic plate? If I drive around I can see them all. So what difference does it make? Since I know where you live, I could probably see it on the road at some point. Then what? Am I going to steal it and repaint my Chevy Assuan brown so the cops get confused?

If we use the internet, our privacy horse left the barn decades ago.

Duncan
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

- Great call on the Garmin option, I was unaware of that. Cool idea to keep the Nuvis still useful!

- While I lost the Cigarette lighter as on option to charge devices, I did buy a DIN Socket to USB adapter (used for Motorcycles) so hopefully that works ok.

- Fair question on the hazy license plate photos. I don't have a strong reasoning beside...Google blurs out licenses on the Google earth app.

After researching the topic a little more you are absolutely right, really doesn't do much at all. I just see it online so figured I would follow the leader.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

Why not just wire it to the switched wire on the radio? Then you will not forget to turn it off or have to remember to turn it on. Plus it would free up your power point which should be dumped and upgraded to a USB or USBc plug anyway.

It seems to me you are adding a level of complexity not needed. We all have a reason for doing what we do, so don't take any of this as criticism but when you post to a Forum we all look at things from a different point of view.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

It seems to me you are adding a level of complexity not needed.

Stacy

I'm keeping this as something to add to my emails when I'm trying to help someone who drills holes, ads switches and extra 12v outlet sockets, 200 feet of number 12 wire with LED warning lights and hidden antitheft devices when none of that is necessary. Or some other type of situation when a simple 1/4-20 will fix it.

Duncan
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

I hate drilling holes in my car and adding crap everywhere. I just think that if he took that power point adapter and hard wire it he could still unplug the unit when needed and If wired to a switched port he wouldn’t need the plug he has and then switching to a more modern USB\USBc plug in dash there is no use for an adapter to from the power point to USB.

No extra holes, no fuss and no mess. I hate cords and adapters. The less crap the better. But that’s just my opinion.

My only other question is how is the camera powered?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
illcomm33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

I am with you on not drilling or sure.

So the MONITOR is powered by a cigarette plug in adapter. I am not sure if you can just cut the plug off and hardwire (but I bet there is a way to do it) I just didn’t want to make any permanent moves if the camera/monitor turned out to be poor quality/etc.

The CAMERA has a battery which I charged via usb originally and then added that little solar recharge kit on it. The solar should keep the battery charged during months of driving/use but I will most likely have to charge up the battery after the winter.

I appreciate the comments and discussion. Thanks for looking and hopefully making a better mousetrap!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

You can buy a wired power point. It like the end of an extension or just buy an extension and cut the end off.
I sure you could find on on Amazon. Wired it under the dash and plug your unit into and no mods.
It’s how I power my front facing camera.
Samba member # 14980
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

here is my setup. I bought this cheap off of eBay. For the camera power, I used a relay that I also use to supply power to my intercooler cooling fan.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankflynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

I have the wireless Garmin on another car - it is powered by the reverse tail light and it works well - with only one issue. That is it takes 2 - 3 seconds for the video to come on after you put it in reverse, which I find surprisingly annoying.

So for the van I got the Garmin RV 785 https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/660552/pn/010-02228-00 as the head unit. It has maps with live traffic (no need to have cell phone) and a dash camera. It also supports the wireless backup camera OR any wired one. I choose a wired one

When you get the backup camera they usually come with a long video cable that also has an additional loose wire for power. So you run the one cable and the power ties into something (like the reverse light in the rear or a switch in the front) that can power both the camera and screen.

But in my case I want the Garmin always on for navigation when the van is running but the backup video showing only when the van is in the reverse - and this works very well. I have the idea of putting a diode in the back so I can also turn the back up camera on with a switch in the front while the van is moving forward.

I should post some photos.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Backup Camera for Westfalia Reply with quote

If you ever hang bikes and whatnot off the rear of you van via a hitch mount, then you might want to contemplate positioning the camera up higher on the hatch.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: