Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What PORTABLE fridge do you use?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Yeah, my (not quite as) big dog likes to sit on it while we're driving, with his front paws on the ground between the front seats. It's a good height for that!

I used rock climbing bolt hangers (drilled out slightly) under the seat belt bolts to create lashing points for the NRS straps. Works well, and easy to undo the straps and drop the fridge just outside the door.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Today I received my new fridge! After doing a stupid amount of research on the less expensive Chinese made fridges, I ended up with an Alpicool T50 dual zone. It's 50 liters, measures 28.5" long, 14.2" wide, & 18" tall. It weighs 34.2 lbs and is rated at 45 watts. This is a new 2019 model that started out on Amazon for $369 and is currently $299. I got a notice of a "lightening deal" and snagged it for $254.15, plus $9.40 tax, making the total $263.55. It comes with a 30 day return for any reason (free shipping) and a one year compressor warranty. Certainly not as good as the more expensive fridges, but better than some. The Costway only has a 30 day warranty, for example.

I thought a dual zone would be cool, but would be out of my price range, so this one really perked my interest when it came out earlier this year. Ice cream, frozen steaks, popsicles on a summer day... sounds good to me!

For those of you not familiar with Alpicool, (Foshan Alpicool Electric Appliance Co., Ltd, aka foshan aikai electric appliance co., LTD.), they are the big Chinese manufacturer that makes many of the brands out there under private labels, including Smittybilt, Costway, Xtremepower US, VBENLEM, Ausranvik and many others.

I've been using a huge 45 qt. Pelican cooler but am spending more time camping and am tired of dealing with ice and soggy food. No matter how good the cooler is, it won't hold ice for 2 weeks. Plus, I plan to move into my van full-time in the next couple of years and a cooler just won't do. I have 120 watts of solar on the roof and a portable "suitcase" 85 watt unit in case I park in the shade. Additionally I have a WEN 2000 watt portable generator (Yamaha clone) just in case I don't have sun for a few days, and it would plug into the van which has a charger that charges both batteries.

I was originally attracted to the Costway fridge and had seen a few good reviews and videos. So the research began to see everything available... months later I had compiled a spreadsheet with graphs, stats, and a whole bunch of info on all the affordable brands out there in the 45L to 55L range. I, of course, would prefer an ARB, Dometic, etc., but the price is just out of my budget. So a cheaper Chinese fridge is the only way I can afford to make the move from cooler to fridge. At the price I paid, I could almost buy four of these compared to a single ARB fridge. Time will tell how long it will last and the overall quality and I will report back in this thread occasionally with updated info.

If anyone is interested in seeing my "12V Fridge Comparison" document, I've shared it on Google Docs" https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yj5Gli-uIZCpIiXrFqpsfHghO7wfA3-I6JpSVrY_6-E/edit?usp=sharing This will show just how much of a geek I am!

So far so good. I tested it out first with 110V, and then moved it to my van to make sure all was good on the 12V side. I set the freezer side to 0F (it will go down to -4F) and the fridge side to 34F. It took about 15-20 minutes to get to the set temps, so pretty amazing, though to be fair, it's not a hot November day in Colorado. One cool thing about this fridge is that you can set both sides to the same temp, or even remove the center divider to make it one big fridge or freezer. It has two nice baskets, an LED light, drain plug, wheels, and a nice folding handle design. It fits very well behind the passenger seat and will make a good footrest when the seat is facing backwards. The cabinet door under the sink will open all the way and there's still room to move back and forth to the front seats.

I will wire it up tomorrow so that I can switch between my starter battery and my house battery using a DPDT Waterproof Rocker Switch controlling a 12V outlet installed close to the fridge next to the sliding door. This way, I'll have easy access to putting the fridge under the awning to make room inside when camped. I also have the ARB screen room and 3-wall tent attachments for more protection.

Anyway, here are a few pictures (please excuse the crappy cell phone picts). I'll probably do a video review once I've had it a while, so stay tuned. Here's a link to the fridge on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2WGCPO1 There's also a 60L version that is the same footprint, just 3 inches taller for $349: https://amzn.to/2NB6zYO

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Well. Today I went out to turn on my Dometic CFX50w because I'm going on a camping trip tomorrow.

LCD display showed 115'F. Damn. I let it run for 20 minutes hoping it would fix itself. Fridge was probably in the 30-40'F - and it showed 90'F.

Fridge is about two years and two months old. Weekend warrior use. Not really abused. Warranty is 2 years I believe. Hopefully they will honor it.

Here is the Thermisor part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermistor-for-Waeco-Portable-Fridge-CFX-range-Thermister-/132934981551

Quote:
THERMISTOR CFX

if your fridge is displaying unusually large numbers and is freezing everything then your thermister may be at fault. Firstly check that the emergency switch is not active as this switch bypasses the control board and supplies power direct - if this is in correct position and you have large numbers on the digital read out like '60" then try the thermister as it is more likely then the actual control board.

Botofusup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
another vote for an engel - weve been using this over the summer and now into fall following the interior overhaul. couldnt be happier.

what really attracted me to this was the slide in transit lock they sell, so you dont need straps or buckles. it just clicks in, and is very firmly planted to the floor.
it does a good job doubling as a step up to the upper bunk, a stool for sitting while cooking, and a great ottoman while the passenger chair is swiveled to face backwards

and an in use one

Liking this set up, seems like a good size. Is this the 40 quart ABS? I also like the multi functionality: step, ottoman, bench, etc. how. Difficult is it to move in and out of the van if you want it outside?
ryangossman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what kind of light that botofusup has over his stove top on that picture?
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

I just ordered the same one this week. How's your experience so far? How is the battery holding with the fridge running for a few days?

epbiggs wrote:
Today I received my new fridge! After doing a stupid amount of research on the less expensive Chinese made fridges, I ended up with an Alpicool T50 dual zone.
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

IndelB TB51A
https://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/travel_box/tb51a
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Botofusup wrote:

Liking this set up, seems like a good size. Is this the 40 quart ABS? I also like the multi functionality: step, ottoman, bench, etc. how. Difficult is it to move in and out of the van if you want it outside?

Thanks!
Yeah it's the MR 40
The slide lock is really really slick. You wouldn't think it would hold it as well as it does but it clicks in the legs and has a single button release to unlock the slide. It's really easy to remove as you just pull slightly towards the door and plop it on the ground

ryangossman wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of light that botofusup has over his stove top on that picture?

Was that in reference to the pics he quoted of my van?
If so, it's a superbrightleds strip light - they sell an led strip that slides into an aluminum frame and looks really nice once assembled. The aluminum frame is mounted to the spice rack and the whole thing looks like it was meant to be there

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
I just ordered the same one this week. How's your experience so far? How is the battery holding with the fridge running for a few days?

epbiggs wrote:
Today I received my new fridge! After doing a stupid amount of research on the less expensive Chinese made fridges, I ended up with an Alpicool T50 dual zone.

The Alpicool has been holding up great. I have been using it every day over the hot summer as both fridge and freezer. I will say that my aging 50 A/H battery will not keep it going all day when it's really hot out, especially if I have to keep the doors and windows closed for security. What I've had to do when on the jobs I've been doing over the summer is put out my "suitcase" solar panels, which will keep the battery charged enough to make it through the hot day.

I'm planning to add another house battery (100 A/H) soon and am guessing it will have no problem keeping up with a hot environment, but of course the season is starting to change and I may have to wait until next summer to really see how that goes. Overall though, I'm still very happy with my fridge purchase. I've been doing remote jobs outside all summer and it's really nice to take a break in the van with a fridge full of ice-cold Gator-aids and ice cream sandwiches.

Eventually my plan is to move into my van full-time and will avoid such hot environments... high altitudes during the summer and somewhere in the desert during the winter. This will be much easier on both me and the fridge!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

I received my fridge yesterday (Same as Alpicool above) and ran it on 110v at home. Seem to work well. Made some Ice. Holds temp well. A little noisy when it starts but other than that looks promising.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Wondering how any of you earlier posters to this thread are liking your budget fridges, i.e., Costway, Whynter, Alpicool, Chinese-made Dometic (Dhaavers), etc? How are they holding up after years of use?
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Well. Today I went out to turn on my Dometic CFX50w because I'm going on a camping trip tomorrow.

LCD display showed 115'F. Damn. I let it run for 20 minutes hoping it would fix itself. Fridge was probably in the 30-40'F - and it showed 90'F.

Fridge is about two years and two months old. Weekend warrior use. Not really abused. Warranty is 2 years I believe. Hopefully they will honor it.

Here is the Thermisor part

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermistor-for-Waeco-Portable-Fridge-CFX-range-Thermister-/132934981551

Quote:
THERMISTOR CFX

if your fridge is displaying unusually large numbers and is freezing everything then your thermister may be at fault. Firstly check that the emergency switch is not active as this switch bypasses the control board and supplies power direct - if this is in correct position and you have large numbers on the digital read out like '60" then try the thermister as it is more likely then the actual control board.

I forgot to follow up on this. I contacted Dometic about my issue and they noticed it was a month out of warranty. They offered to extend the warranty and replace the fridge. However, they discontinued the CFX50w. They offered an upgrade the the CFX3 55IM model! From 72 can to 84 can capacity! "Freeze plate" upgrade, bluetooth (finally), and very sweet LCD screen.

Absolutely love the CFX3 55IM and can't recommend it enough. The freeze plate allows me to make ice cubes or Klondike bars (only a couple). The LCD screen is very nice to check voltage of system and to control settings (freeze plate on/off).

The Dometic CFX3 55IM has a 5 year warranty. Shoutout to Dometic for excellent customer service from a very happy customer.

For what it's worth, it took 2 weeks, $40 shipped, for a thermistor for my old fridge. It took about an hour for the whole repair. I passed it along to a friend who has been using it non stop for the past 6 months!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Wondering how any of you earlier posters to this thread are liking your budget fridges, i.e., Costway, Whynter, Alpicool, Chinese-made Dometic (Dhaavers), etc? How are they holding up after years of use?

Edgestar, bought in 2011 for $426 w/free shipping - still works great.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:

Edgestar, bought in 2011 for $426 w/free shipping - still works great.

How many amp hrs per day would you say you use?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

I've had this Costway since March 2019. It's been stood upon, climbed over, used in 100+ temps, and generally abused. It still works fine.

Then:

Now (with the Smittybuilt Fridge insulator cover that I got soon after purchase.)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I've had this Costway since March 2019. It's been stood upon, climbed over, used in 100+ temps, and generally abused. It still works fine.

Great to hear, thanks for the update!
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

Update on my Alpicool T50 dual zone after 15 months of near constant use... My first problem popped up recently. The temp readout on the fridge side has stopped displaying when in dual zone mode. In single mode (fridge or freezer), the display still works fine. In dual mode, only the freezer side temp displays. The unit still works fine, it's just the temp readout that has failed on that one side for whatever reason. It's no big deal as I rely more on the little thermometers I have inside the unit, which are way more accurate. Also, I upgraded the unit with a decal I had laying around. Now it's a Westfalia Alpicool. Cool!

Top (fridge) readout not working:

In single mode, the temp readout works fine:

Add-on thermometers attach to the baskets (can be moved up or down the baskets to get a better reading of the varying temps):
Link to thermometers if anyone is interested: https://amzn.to/3jT5dYU

Westycool:

Also, I noticed Amazon is selling an upgraded version of this fridge with an LG Compressor and Bluetooth function. I have the previous version with a generic Chinese compressor and no Bluetooth, which is still available and is a bit less expensive, currently $319: https://amzn.to/2OFjblH
LG Compressor version with Bluetooth currently at $359: https://amzn.to/2ZprTGZ Both are sold directly from Alpicool with no Prime.

I had mentioned in an earlier post that my 50ah battery under the driver's seat was a little too small to power this fridge without good solar or consecutive cloudy days and that I was planning on adding another battery. I finally did it. Now both batteries are connected to a fuse block via a switch and I rewired the fridge to the fuse block instead of directly to the smaller battery. I also added a NOCO GENIUS 5 charger (https://amzn.to/3rZ2vUz) for the new 100ah battery for when I have shore power or am running my generator. Now I have a total of 150ah and that seems to be a sweet spot for me and is working great. For a little extra power, I got another "suitcase" 100 watt solar panel, so I think I'm set.

And while I'm updating, I added a second solar charge controller with remote readout. This one is a dual charger, so I have 90% going the the 100ah battery, and 10% going to the 50ah battery, which already has its own charge controller. It's nice to be able to see the state of charge on both batteries from the back seat, as well as other charge info.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

EPBiggs - have you estimated the overall current draw of the Costway fridge? It looks to be an economical alternative to the Dometic or Truckfridge offerings.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
EPBiggs - have you estimated the overall current draw of the Costway fridge? It looks to be an economical alternative to the Dometic or Truckfridge offerings.

I have not, sorry. And I have an Alpicool T50, not Costway, however the Costway is actually made by Alpicool. I don't believe there is a Costway branded unit that has dual zones at present. If someone does have the current draw of the T50, please share. I'd like to know, too.

In fact, it would be interesting to collect data/power usage on all of the different refrigerators we use in our vans. Perhaps a new thread? Honestly, I'm not even sure how to measure the current draw over time. Anybody have good instructions on the best methods?

I do know power consumption will vary depending on if you are using it in dual zone mode as the freezer side will require more power. It can also be all freezer, which would require even more power. Obviously, using it in all fridge mode would use the least power, so the current draw all depends on how you use it. Of course, ambient temperatures will factor in, as well. Lots of variables.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What PORTABLE fridge do you use? Reply with quote

We've been using the Acopower 45 quart cooler since early 2019. It has a 12 v internal battery that allows you to use as a picnic cooler. We just keep it plugged into our (meager) 66ah house battery. In the summer when temps are in the 90-100 degree range, it works pretty hard but keeps it all cold. I have to deploy the solar panles if we stay for more than a day in one spot. We took it on a trip to Nevada last month, and with temps between 20 and 60, it uses far less power. I stand on it all the time to get into the upper bunk (200 lbs) and use it as a chair when I'm in the van making coffee in the morning. The LG compressor is a bit noisy, but I thnk they all do that.

I paid $500 for mine in 2019. I think they go for more now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: